Missed it by that much

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Yesterday, I had a Maxshvell Schmart episode when went to my AME to renew my 3rd class. AME conducts the examination, declares all is good and he will issue, and hands off the paperwork to the office helper.

She collects my money and prints off the certificate from the FAA site and asks me to sign my copy and hers in front of her.

As I'm signing the second copy, she says, "Oh, I can't let you have that."

Me: "What??!?? Doc said I passed."

Her: "True. But what you're signing is a First Class certificate."

I am handed a re-printed 3rd, sign it, and am now medically blessed until July 2016 (DM2 SI)

I was this close to having a needed item for that dream airline captains job.

Reality check. I would HARDLY call having ANY kind of SI "medically blessed". More like a temporary reprieve, subject to withdrawal at a bureaucrat's whim.

The only thing it's better than is... not having a medical at all. ;)

Congrats on getting renewed. Mine gets worse and worse, and the only thing wrong with me is gout.

Why just until July 2016?

Diabetic Type II, pill controlled Special Issuance.

Every 2 years, I get the full monte like yesterday. In between, I must submit items specified in the SI letter to demonstrate I continue to meet the standards. I can send these in to OKC and they will mail the certificate. But I often elect to bring it to my AME and obtain the issuance from him.

But it is a goal of mine to get the A1c and daily down to the CACI standards. If I'm successful for that, I get released into the regular crowd.

Oh ok. I have never had to deal with special issuances and thus am somewhat clueless on how they work or what the codes mean. Hopefully, I can remain a little clueless about it (knock on wood). Good luck with your efforts.

Oh ok. I have never had to deal with special issuances and thus am somewhat clueless on how they work or what the codes mean. Hopefully, I can remain a little clueless about it (knock on wood). Good luck with your efforts.
Be glad for that. I'm flying now with no fewer than three SIs that I didn't have a year ago. One is because of a recent event and will probably go away in a couple of cycles as long as there is no recurrence. The other two are for conditions I was diagnosed with years ago that the FAA hasn't seen fit to do anything about up until now. One is for constipation-dominant IBS (yes, believe it or not, the FAA believes that has aeromedical significance, though my AME has no frigging idea what it is); the other is for a condition I was diagnosed with almost 30 years ago that I almost certainly never had. I was even given a letter of eligibility for it 10 years ago, now reversed as apparently the standards have tightened. I can appeal to have that one removed on grounds of a recent negative (yet very expen$ive) imaging study, but imaging studies frequently give false negatives for it and thus there is no way to PROVE that I don't have it. Hence, I will probably have to shell out ca. $2000 every year for life just to keep my medical.

THAT kind of BS is why so many of us are passionate about getting rid of the 3rd Class. :mad2::mad2:

Be glad for that. I'm flying now with no fewer than three SIs that I didn't have a year ago. One is because of a recent event and will probably go away in a couple of cycles as long as there is no recurrence. The other two are for conditions I was diagnosed with years ago that the FAA hasn't seen fit to do anything about up until now. One is for constipation-dominant IBS (yes, believe it or not, the FAA believes that has aeromedical significance, though my AME has no frigging idea what it is); the other is for a condition I was diagnosed with almost 30 years ago that I almost certainly never had. I was even given a letter of eligibility for it 10 years ago, now reversed as apparently the standards have tightened. I can appeal to have that one removed on grounds of a recent negative (yet very expen$ive) imaging study, but imaging studies frequently give false negatives for it and thus there is no way to PROVE that I don't have it. Hence, I will probably have to shell out ca. $2000 every year for life just to keep my medical.

THAT kind of BS is why so many of us are passionate about getting rid of the 3rd Class. :mad2::mad2:

To me, that's the value of a good AME who can help me navigate through the BS.

I agree with you that it sucks that you (and me) have to spend a fortune to keep flying but that's the price of admission I guess.

I'll fly on an SI forever. I'm with you on the third class. Hopefully they'll try again next year...

After my instrument checkride the DPE printed out an ATP airship certificate with my name on it. He was still getting used to IACRA at the time.

After my instrument checkride the DPE printed out an ATP airship certificate with my name on it. He was still getting used to IACRA at the time.

Would have been interesting to see if that was caught by the FAA. If your total hrs on the med form was under 1,500 and assuming you have never taken the ATP written -- wonder how good their system is? Just thinkin':D

If it wasn't for my medical certificate then I might not be taking as good care of my self. Because I want to keep my medical certificate I take good care of myself. I keep healthy to fly, or I fly to stay healthy, one or the other....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back