Missed approach RST ILS 13 question

drizzt76

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Scott M.
I playing a little on the MS flight sim and noticed something on the RST ILS 13 approach. Why is there two missed approach holding patterns depicted? The text and the profile view shows you holding over RST but there is also a holding pattern depicted at the LOM MINGO. Looking at other approaches I found the GRB ILS 36 has this too. Is this just an alternate holding or another holding pattern that they put on approach plate to give the controller/pilot another option?

I don't fly too much IFR but I've heard of controllers assigning holds that are not depicted on the approach plate but are published in another source and can cause some confusion.

Thanks,
Scott

The hold over the OM is a hold in lieu of a procedure turn. Unless you're getting vectored to the final or come in on the DME arc, you execute that hold to get established (instead of doing a procedure turn). Notice that the OM is an IAF.
The hold out at RST is the missed approach hold. Of course, ATC can assign whatever they want, but RST is the only published missed holding procedure, and the OM is your procedure turn.

Last edited:
Matt, I understand the hold in lieu of the procedure turn at the LOM ELLIE. My question was the missed hold over LOM MINGO and the other missed hold over RST. In other words look more SE:) Thanks.

Last edited:
The one at the Mingo NDB is an alternate missed approach hold to be assigned (with a full reading of the alternate missed approach instructions) if the RST VOR/DME holding pattern airspace isn't available at 3000 when the approach clearance is issued.

Matt, I understand the hold in lieu of the procedure turn at the LOM ELLIE. My question was the missed hold over LOM MINGO and the other missed hold over RST. In other words look more SE:) Thanks.

I have the RST ILS or LOC 13 approach in front of me, and don't even see a mention of MINGO intersection or LOM. Do I have the right plate?

Matt...I see. The airnav is a older approach plate 14Feb-13Mar. Yours the updated one 13Mar-10Apr dropped the hold at MINGO. That's what I get for looking at outdated approach plates!!!

I was thinking the same thing until Matt mentioned Airnav. This is the plate published there...

http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0802/05041IL13.PDF

And here is the one from the NACO site. Seems like the one from the NACO site is amendment 7A while Airnav has amendment 7.

Ah, ok. I grab the plates of myairplane.com because they're easy to view in inverted colors ("Night Charts") so I was looking at the updated plate as well.

Here's a REAL chart:

krst-ils-13.gif

Back