Missed Approach Question

ntbjounin

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jounin
I ran into this the other day just shooting practice approaches.

Can someone explain this missed approach to me? I get the initial instructions and I can certainly get myself to CELTC. .... Then what. I notice Radar is NOT required and there's no published hold, so... uhhh... what next!?

my guess is, hold at CELTC on that radial, right turns, 1min legs. That would be the end of our clearance limit, so we should hold.

Attachments

• cptloc15.PDF
    265 KB · Views: 69
I would guess standard holding pattern with the inbound leg giving you a course of 338º.

Can someone explain this missed approach to me? I get the initial instructions and I can certainly get myself to CELTC. .... Then what. I notice Radar is NOT required and there's no published hold, so... uhhh... what next!?

my guess is, hold at CELTC on that radial, right turns, 1min legs. That would be the end of our clearance limit, so we should hold.

Hold for what purpose? While the missed approach procedure on most IAPs does end in a holding pattern they are not required to do so.

Last edited:
because you're supposed to hold at the end of your clearance limit.

I would agree a standard holding pattern with the inbound leg giving you a course of 338º.

Why isnt holding at your end of your clearance limit productive?

Sounds like a generally good idea to me....

You guess right -- if you don't get further instructions from ATC before you get there, hold on the arrival course (i.e., north of CELTC on the ACT 338 radial, which means a 158 inbound course to CELTC) using a standard hold (right turns, 1 minute inbound) while you figure out what you're going to do next, hopefully by contacting ATC for futher instructions.

However, CELTC was never your clearance limit. I'm assuming you were cleared to Cleburne Airport, so you're past your clearance limit, and if you've lost comm, you're beyond the extent of 91.185(c), and it's up to your 91.3(b) PIC authority to decide what to do next. Of course, if you are able to get in touch with ATC, they'll give you a new clearance somewhere else, and that somewhere else will be your new clearance limit.

Why isnt holding at your end of your clearance limit productive?

Sounds like a generally good idea to me....
It does to the FAA, too. See AIM Section 5-3-7c.
c. If no holding pattern is charted and holding instructions have not been issued, the pilot should ask ATC for holding instructions prior to reaching the fix. This procedure will eliminate the possibility of an aircraft entering a holding pattern other than that desired by ATC. If unable to obtain holding instructions prior to reaching the fix (due to frequency congestion, stuck microphone, etc.), then enter a standard pattern on the course on which the aircraft approached the fix and request further clearance as soon as possible. In this event, the altitude/flight level of the aircraft at the clearance limit will be protected so that separation will be provided as required.

That's weird. Can someone see if the Jepp Plate is missing the hold too?
It is.

attachment.php

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_01 Mar. 13 21.44.gif
    ScreenHunter_01 Mar. 13 21.44.gif
    44.8 KB · Views: 121
Interesting... I (like others) have gotten so used to seeing a hold depicted at the MAF that I expect one. In fact, I thought in most cases it was called the MAHP -Missed Approach Holding Point. Next time I'm in an airplane I'll see how it's coded in the GPS.

Thanks guys,
Ron you are correct that originally the clearance limit was the airport, but then when you are "Cleared for the approach" the clearance limit is the end of the approach, which is CELTC in this case. But yes thank you for citing the AIM. That's what I thought.

Yes Tim, I expect one too, thats why I thought this was interesting.

Last edited:
Thanks guys,
Ron you are correct that originally the clearance limit was the airport, but then when you are "Cleared for the approach" the clearance limit is the end of the approach, which is CELTC in this case.
I don't think that's exactly true from a technical standpoint, but from a practical perspective, that's a good way to think about it, and explains why you go into holding at CELTC if you haven't reestablished comm with ATC and haven't figured out where you want to go next.

A couple of the missed approaches at Concord, California have no hold depicted.

http://download.aopa.org/ustprocs/current/SW-2/ccr_lda_rwy_19r.pdf

http://download.aopa.org/ustprocs/current/SW-2/ccr_vor_rwy_19r.pdf

Back