Missed an opportunity to poke at a Cirrus

Topper

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Topper
I think Cirrus are great airplanes and I might own part of one if I had not fell into a Columbia 400 opportunity. That being said, the Cessna 400 vs Cirrus debate is always fun and I think we all like to think whatever plane we ended up in is better for some reason.

Anyway, I must have been flying behind 6pc Friday and missed a golden opportunity. I was cleared for the visual and turned strait for the runway, I was still a few miles out an clipping right along. I contacted tower and they ask me to slow down and square my base because they had a Cirrus on final. I replied that I would slow and square, It would have been a lot more fun to say that the "Columbia will slow down for the Cirrus"

Sequencing the approach requires all aircraft to slow or speed up dependent on planes and positions.

In case you are curious. The book for the SR22T downwind and base speeds are 90kts. The approach speed is 80kts.

Last edited:
"Columbia will slow down for the Cirrus"
That would have been funny... but to really top it off you should find a way to get a dig in at Mooney somehow, just to really roil everyone's feathers!

All tongue in cheek ofcourse, lol

Back in my turboprop days, we considered DC-9s to be targets...flying an old B90 once, I managed to get "slow to your final approach speed. You've got 65 knots in the DC-9 ahead." :)

I was in a 182RG and had to slow down flying the approach into KTOA once for a Cirrus in front of me. I hope it was an SR20...

Also, I wish my phone didn't lose the photo, but I had a lovely photo of a Cirrus taking up 3 tie-down spaces on the transient line at KSQL a couple weeks ago. I suggested to airport ops they should charge him for all 3.

Sequencing the approach requires all aircraft to slow or speed up dependent on planes and positions.

In case you are curious. The book for the SR22T downwind and base speeds are 90kts. The approach speed is 80kts.

Cirrus pilots also can't sense humor.

you know that putting your arms out and flapping doesn't make it go faster, right?

Back