Miss your Commodore 64?

My C-64 is in a box out in the garage. If I ever dig it out, it should work. Serial number in the 30,000 range. How many million did they make?

How about the Commodore PET? We used to play a flight simulator on the PET. Man, it was almost like the real thing. Almost. Well........

TRS80 - definite junk. Anything my grandfather would buy, you knew to stay away. Taught a lot of people about computers though.

Ahhh...the "trash 80". I remember mowing lawns to afford that thing!

My mom has my C64 in the basement. Just the other day she emailed me asking if I still wanted it....HELL YES I did!

I have a lot of fond memories with that and the all-time best, the Amiga. Wish I would never have tossed that thing out.

How about a Timex/Sinclair.....

(Naw, I didn't own one, I built an S-100 based system from circuit boards obtained from Jade Computer Products... and an H-19 terminal).

I had a series of Ataris. 800, 400 (my dad's), 120XL, 120XE, finally the 1020SE I think.

Still have some of them in the basement...

TRS80 - definite junk. Anything my grandfather would buy, you knew to stay away. Taught a lot of people about computers though.

I worked for Tandy right out of high school on the line building TRS80's (installing those "huge" hard drives). It was kind of scary to see what some of those guys did those machines as they came down the line. :eek:

I forget what the stats were, but there were a lot of them that didn't make through burn in without having to replace major components.

ah, those were the days...traveling with the Osborne portable ...

I think my father still has my old Tandy 1000 (the 80-88) in his garage. If he doesn't, I'll be a bit upset, because that had some of my favorite games ever on it.

Plus, some day I wanted to reuse the case and put a current computer in it. How funny would that be.

The only problem is that the old CGA monitor died on me. So even if I had it right now, I couldn't get it workng if I tried.

We actually have an old Commodore PET on display in an alcove in our office. It's a throwback to what we started writing our software on 20+ years ago.

Consider that the 64 was for Kilobytes* of RAM not bits on the bus.

* Corrected. I couldn't get my fingers to remember 25 years ago to type that correctly.

Last edited:
Oh my god. I'd forgotten about that. The Osborne "Trans-portable". We used to say it's portable like a mobile home is mobile.

I still have 2 of those, They also used to say, "It only has a 4" screen!" to which we reply,"What size screen does yours have?"

Gee guys, I don't know if I should show my age like this but I remember PDP-8's (with 4KB, yes that's a K) being pretty good computers. And that was no where near my first programming job.

Do I miss it? No way. The only reason there are "good old days" is because we remember the good stuff longer than the bad.

Joe

Gee guys, I don't know if I should show my age like this but I remember PDP-8's (with 4KB, yes that's a K) being pretty good computers. And that was no where near my first programming job.

Do I miss it? No way. The only reason there are "good old days" is because we remember the good stuff longer than the bad.

Joe

I have a UNIX manual I rescued from a wastebasket at AT&T Bell Labs that says you'll want to have at least 4K of RAM.

Or the MITS Altair 88....

I remember the PDP-8 and the vast improvement called the PDP-11. Used 'em in the engineering labs. Showing my age, but I was in school when they replaced the IBM370 mainframe with a pair of 3036's... and they shuffled the CS majors off to a Honeywell with *shudder* Multics. Fortunately, I was an engineering student and got to use the good machines ;)

Joe

While the C-64 was the first computer I bought, it was not the first I used by a long shot. That 'honor' goes to an IBM System 360, Model 67 back in 1969.

Now, I will say one good thing about the Trash 80 Model 1. It, and its contemporaries, are responsible for the job I have today. They were LOUD broadband radio transmitters and interferred with users of the RF spectrum for great distances around them. On the air, everywhere! The resulting commercial EMC requirements have kept me gainfully employed for about 24 years now. I was doing aerospace EMC prior to that. Of course, maybe that isn't such a good thing. I'm sitting in a hotel room in Bangkok as I type this. And I'm heading for Hanoi on Saturday. And I can blame it on Radio Shack. Right, that's the ticket. It's all their fault and I never even worked for them. :D

I worked in the Fleet Combat labs on Point Loma as a contractor after the Navy, where we used a PDP-11 in concert with a Goodyear and a number of Litton computers ... can't even recall the models of those beasts ... bootstrap program was entered via 8 or so banks for 8 switches ... and 6 pages of instructions. One screw up, wipe it out and start over! Ah yes, the good old days...

I just loved saving my files to an audio cassette with my TRS-80

We just dug the Commodore 64, printer, and tape drive out of the attic with the plan to give it away.

went from the Osborne portable, to the Compaq sewing machine portable through the vintage laptops of 90 mhz 12" screens to today's laptop that has more computing power and storage than we could ever imagine back in the days of PDPs, VAX and even mainframes... with cabinets upon cabinets of spinning platters of removeable disk ... what where those ... RL-02? seems to ring a bell...

went from the Osborne portable, to the Compaq sewing machine portable through the vintage laptops of 90 mhz 12" screens to today's laptop that has more computing power and storage than we could ever imagine back in the days of PDPs, VAX and even mainframes... with cabinets upon cabinets of spinning platters of removeable disk ... what where those ... RL-02? seems to ring a bell...

And connected to rows of VT-100 terminals. :D I really liked VMS on a VAX. But that was a long time ago...

yep - grew up on VMS ... really used to tweak the unix guys when they would whine about "how do you do ____ ?" my answer was always "just like you said it. And then when you get good, you can abbreviate the commands down so short that it's almost unix like!" :)
The only thing I found that VMS couldn't do in the Unix vs VMS battles was 'tail' ... but 3 or 4 lines of DCL and EVE/TPU and "we have tail" ...

Back