Misdiagnosed bipolar on meds beyond the 6 month cutoff?

U

Unregistered

I've been medicated for bipolar with the same doctor for a few years now.

After a few lifestyle changes, and the removal of some environmental factors, it seems that both the doctor and I have agreed that my diagnosis was based on factors that were not actually medical imbalances, but actually environmental. The gentlemen who diagnosed me as bipolar II, retired two appointments after seeing me, and the person who took me over just moved forward as per normal.

Any hope of an SI with the Doctors note that it was a misdiagnosis + 'no more at risk than a member of the general population' or should i continue on with Sport Pilot/Glider?

I'm not at all sure the FAA considers a diagnosis of bipolar with medication to be within the parameters allowing you to fly a glider or as a Sport Pilot. I think they might say that condition "would make the person unable to operate the aircraft in a safe manner" so 61.53(b) would prohibit them flying even when a medical certificate is not required. You might want to do some checking on that with the FAA, perhaps via an attorney to maintain anonymity with them.

As for the rest, there is a process for this, and Bruce will have the answer for you.

Not amazingly, this depends on the determination and size of your wallet. You'll need to be evaluated by a HIMS psychiatrist, known to FAA, and it'll have to be "favorable". These guys spend amazing amounts of time on discovery and verify everything you say with the outside source, and do seriously good work. Their word is gold as far as the Federal Air surgeon goes, and insurance does not cover them.

Then the Federal Psychiatrist MIGHT send it out internally to one of their four contracted external review guys (NOT the same guy) for concurrence.

The risk here, is that of disagreement. That is why you have to get someone KNOWN to FAA and respected. If you get disagreement, you get denied. The only way to get the external opinion is to apply.

There is one really really costly strategy- to be seen by several of the extenal guys, privately (ka ching). That leaves no room for disagreement.

These guys are held to Q.A. If they're wrong subsequently it counts against their consulting contract....

Thanks for the information -- can I go through the HIMS process without first applying for the medical and getting deferred? or is the only way to do this to actually apply, get deferred, and then find out the yay/nay?

Obviously I ask because I'd rather put up the $ to move forward and get the HIMS results PRIOR to potentially losing my medical status. I'm sure this makes sense, as without applying, even if the HIMS comes out unfavorable, I like to think i could keep flying as an SP/Glider, as opposed to a denied medical.

Size of the wallet? I'm getting into aviation. I've come to accept that nothing is cheap, and being able to fly as a private pilot is worth a lot of cash to me if its do-able.

Unreg: Since it sounds like you wish to take the next step of gathering more detailed information about your situation, I would suggest contacting Dr. Bruce directly and "contracting" with him (aka, pay him) to be your case manager and adviser. There are not many out there who will take the time Bruce will to help you understand what you need to do, whom you need to see, and what correctly formatted documentation you need to obtain so when you do submit yourself for your medical exam and supply the collected paperwork, things move through the system with minimal hiccups.

Plus much of your situation is likely better suited for direct contact versus postings on an internet forum.

Dr. Bruce's website is www.aeromedicaldoc.com. His email is aeromedicaldoc@comcast.net.

What ever he advises you to do, do that, and don't stray from the path, less ye fall off of it.

I wish you luck, and keep us advised of your progress if you wish to do so!.

That makes a lot of sense. I'll likely get my act together and contact him this week with the 'full story'.

Thanks for all the assistance and I'll absolutely post my results back here!

Thanks for the information -- can I go through the HIMS process without first applying for the medical and getting deferred?
You can get a HIMS opinion privately. But when the way for agency to get an independent opinion is after you have applied and are at risk. Your chance of success without a HIMS psych opinion are Zero.
or is the only way to do this to actually apply, get deferred, and then find out the yay/nay?
Eventually you have to cross the bridge.
Obviously I ask because I'd rather put up the $ to move forward and get the HIMS results PRIOR to potentially losing my medical status. I'm sure this makes sense, as without applying, even if the HIMS comes out unfavorable, I like to think I could keep flying as an SP/Glider, as opposed to a denied medical.
That is correct. No application means no denial.
Size of the wallet? I'm getting into aviation. I've come to accept that nothing is cheap, and being able to fly as a private pilot is worth a lot of cash to me if its do-able.

I've been medicated for bipolar with the same doctor for a few years now.

After a few lifestyle changes, and the removal of some environmental factors, it seems that both the doctor and I have agreed that my diagnosis was based on factors that were not actually medical imbalances, but actually environmental. The gentlemen who diagnosed me as bipolar II, retired two appointments after seeing me, and the person who took me over just moved forward as per normal.

Any hope of an SI with the Doctors note that it was a misdiagnosis + 'no more at risk than a member of the general population' or should i continue on with Sport Pilot/Glider?

I would recommend first seeing a university professor who specializes in the disorder. Don't just jump into a hims guy right away, first get to the bottom of this just like if you actually needed to know if you have bipolar or not. Then bring that letter (or two) with you in your hand when you see the HIMS psychiatrist.

Or you could risk it and not fly for 17 years.

WE have a few guys who are BOTH. And best thing- if you don't apply because the outcome is not favorable, the agency never knows....of course you don't get certified.

You can get a HIMS opinion privately. But when the way for agency to get an independent opinion is after you have applied and are at risk. Your chance of success without a HIMS psych opinion are Zero.Eventually you have to cross the bridge.That is correct. No application means no denial.

I have heard that Australia is much more lenient on medicals if denied in Australia can you still be a sports pilot?
Also what is the faa approach to cannabis induced psychosis my doctor said if your psychosis was cannabis induced and you can prove it by going off antipsychotics and only be on Wellbutrin with out relapse you are not schizoaffective
Also my doctor said I may not be bipolar as what was thought to be mania was actually anxiety
no auditory or visual problems just some cannabis induced delusions
Been stable on meds for 6 years with no symptoms whatsoever
Soon to be switched to only Wellbutrin and possibly a very low dose gabbapebtin
Was on clozapine 200 mg lumictal 300 and vraylar 6
From Colorado

Whoa necro post record!!!

wellbutrin is a no go with FAA no matter what the reason I thought.
clozaril is some hard core stuff. You need a special
License just to rx that stuff. You don’t get on it by accident.

I have heard that Australia is much more lenient on medicals if denied in Australia can you still be a sports pilot?
Also what is the faa approach to cannabis induced psychosis my doctor said if your psychosis was cannabis induced and you can prove it by going off antipsychotics and only be on Wellbutrin with out relapse you are not schizoaffective
Also my doctor said I may not be bipolar as what was thought to be mania was actually anxiety
no auditory or visual problems just some cannabis induced delusions
Been stable on meds for 6 years with no symptoms whatsoever
Soon to be switched to only Wellbutrin and possibly a very low dose gabbapebtin
Was on clozapine 200 mg lumictal 300 and vraylar 6
From Colorado
Rather than tag onto an old thread, you might have better success by starting a fresh one or contacting our resident AME's directly

So I looked on left seat and it said Wellbutrin was on the accepted list but it was only updated very recently so I think they may have just changed the rule.
Also cannabis induced psychosis is also a very new diagnosis so I don’t know if the faa has a position on it yet.
Does anyone know if a denial in Australia would prevent me from a sports pilot license?
My new psychiatrist said I am not bipolar but even with my old one after seeing his reports and getting his approval for sports pilot I don’t know of any medical condition that would prevent me from safely operating a light sport aircraft. So if getting denied in Australia would prevent me from sports pilots I do not intend to apply.
How ever, I am interested in the HIMS program for the future I don’t know how long you have to demonstrate stability for off the meds I was on for a miss diagnosis. Also clozapine really is not as serious as people think it’s just the danger of white blood cell count that makes it necessary to have a special license for and there have been zero cases of it in the last ten years.

So I looked on left seat and it said Wellbutrin was on the accepted list
Hardly. Left seat well.....isn't exactly HIMS authorized. Some of us have an individual consideration Wellbutrin approval, but it's able to be used as grounds for "no consideration denial" still. And it is brutal on passing the Neurocognitive profile. Even last month.

I'll wait for it to appear in the AME guide. See attach, it's page 177 of the 08/31/2022 version of the guide. There is none, newer.

And there is no exemption for Clozapine. none.

Attachments

• AMEGuidePg177)08.31.2022.pdf
    57.3 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
So I looked on left seat and it said Wellbutrin was on the accepted list but it was only updated very recently so I think they may have just changed the rule.
Also cannabis induced psychosis is also a very new diagnosis so I don’t know if the faa has a position on it yet.
Does anyone know if a denial in Australia would prevent me from a sports pilot license?
My new psychiatrist said I am not bipolar but even with my old one after seeing his reports and getting his approval for sports pilot I don’t know of any medical condition that would prevent me from safely operating a light sport aircraft. So if getting denied in Australia would prevent me from sports pilots I do not intend to apply.
How ever, I am interested in the HIMS program for the future I don’t know how long you have to demonstrate stability for off the meds I was on for a miss diagnosis. Also clozapine really is not as serious as people think it’s just the danger of white blood cell count that makes it necessary to have a special license for and there have been zero cases of it in the last ten years.

so you were smoking so much weed the doc thought you were Bi polar?

damn son

Hardly. Left seat well.....isn't exactly HIMS authorized. Some of us have an individual consideration Wellbutrin approval, but it's able to be used as grounds for "no consideration denial" still. And it is brutal on passing the Neurocognitive profile. Even last month.

I'll wait for it to appear in the AME guide. See attach, it's page 177 of the 08/31/2022 version of the guide. There is none, newer.

And there is no exemption for Clozapine. none.

I know a few guys, not pilots that take SSRIs to fix their minute man syndrome.

there are a few peer reviewed papers out on it

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back