miscellaneous old guy "stuff"

Mikey B

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Mike
I apologize in advance for this post, which will hopefully be quite boring. No heart attacks, DUIs, SSRIs, etc. (not to trivialize any of those things) -- just the sort of miscellaneous health issues that crop up in 68 years. But I do have a couple of decisions to make, so I seek the counsel of POA's wise and sympathetic membership. ;)

I earned my Private license 40+ years ago, in grad school, then promptly stopped flying, as career, marriage, kids, lack of funds, etc. got in the way. In the last few years, with the time and resources to do so, I've decided to try getting my wings back. I actually started with a Sport school, and got in a few lessons before the pandemic got in the way. Part of the reason for going Sport was uneasiness about pursuing a 3rd class medical with a litany of minor (I think) issues. (I sincerely believe that I have no conditions that should affect my ability to fly safely, though I realize that satisfying the FAA may be a different matter.) As I prepare to re-re-start flying post-pandemic (sort of), I'm reconsidering whether I should try for that medical after all, then probably go Basic Med thereafter. I've read thru many pages in this section, and well appreciate the guidance re not seeking the medical until/unless I'm sure I'll pass.

Sport pilot would probably satisfy most of my flying needs and wants, but as I don't plan to buy a plane, it would seem to limit me in terms of available rentals. I'd also like to be able to maybe take more than one passenger sometimes.

So, all that considered, here's a rough summary of my prospective 8500-8 entries:
  • Eyes - vitriectony with epiretinal membrane removal, also cataract surgery, both in right eye, which is now ~20/25 uncorrected. Left eye will probably need the same procedures eventually.
  • Ears - partial hearing loss (minor, not requiring hearing aids), tinnitus (only annoying, not disabling), and some BPPV in the past, but not in last 5 years or so
  • Mild hand tremor, diagnosed by neurologist as essential tremor after testing for Parkinson's, and brain MRI.
  • PSA elevated (>12) and rising (and family history of prostate cancer), but free% >30 and monitored by urologist, who isn't concerned (yet)
  • Diverticulosis
  • Skin cancers (basal and squamous only)
  • High cholesterol, controlled by 10 mg/d atorvastatin
  • Nasal polyps (removed by surgery ~ 2 years ago)
  • Gastric reflux (controlled by Pepcid 2x/d)
  • a kidney stone or two, >10 years ago
  • hay fever (!)
So, a long list, but from what I read here and elsewhere, nothing that should be especially alarming to the FAA. But I'd appreciate any input from this august body of SGOTIs (and a few experts!).

To qualify for BasicMed, you'll have to have gotten a conventional medical certificate after July 15, 2006. Something to think about.

Hopefully one of the docs will chime in here, you probably need to travel to one of them, or find a good AME near you who will consult and help you get your ducks in a row which should make your medical go quickly if you qualify. I'm not an expert, but I'm thinking the BPPV may need some explaining. I hope this works out for you.

Good point on the BPPV. I see the following in the Guide for AMEs:

"Episodic disorders of dizziness or disequilibrium require careful evaluation and consideration by the FAA. Transient processes, such as those associated with acute labyrinthitis or benign positional vertigo may not disqualify an applicant when fully recovered."

I assumed since I haven't had an occurence in years, it would be OK. When I did have them, they quickly resolved with an Eppley (sp?) maneuver, performed by an ENT, which I later learned to do at home.

Good point on the BPPV. I see the following in the Guide for AMEs:

"Episodic disorders of dizziness or disequilibrium require careful evaluation and consideration by the FAA. Transient processes, such as those associated with acute labyrinthitis or benign positional vertigo may not disqualify an applicant when fully recovered."

I assumed since I haven't had an occurence in years, it would be OK. When I did have them, they quickly resolved with an Eppley (sp?) maneuver, performed by an ENT, which I later learned to do at home.

This is where you need expert help BEFORE you go live with an exam. Getting denied for a medical closes the door for LSA flying. Just make sure you will pass the exam before you submit to the exam.

• Eyes - vitriectony with epiretinal membrane removal, also cataract surgery, both in right eye, which is now ~20/25 uncorrected. Left eye will probably need the same procedures eventually.
I just had this procedure a week ago today. Plus 4 vitrectomies before that. Plus cataracts in both eyes. There's an FAA form for your ophthalmologist to fill out that you take to your AME when you go in for your class III. I forget the form number but a little googling will turn it up. Thankfully I'm already on basic med, so I skipped the form.

I too took 20 years off for "life." Welcome back!

of the many issues, these likely will be delved into more thoroughly by the FAA:

BPPV
2 renal stones
tremors

Thanks, all -- and especially the Docs. Sounds like my "uncomplicated" list is more so than I wanted to think. So the next question is, can anyone recommend a good AME in my part of the country? I'm in Delaware, but the Baltimore/Washington area is in easy reach.

Thanks, all -- and especially the Docs. Sounds like my "uncomplicated" list is more so than I wanted to think. So the next question is, can anyone recommend a good AME in my part of the country? I'm in Delaware, but the Baltimore/Washington area is in easy reach.

Mikey, Dr B will do a remote consult, where you send him ALL your medical history, plus a summary (which you have pretty much done) of where you think your issues are. He will advise you how to get required info and further testing (if needed) together to submit at your exam, which will expedite the Special Issuance process if you fall into that category. He charges a fee for this which I think is quite reasonable. There is a link at the bottom of his post to his website, click it and read how to engage him. People will fly to him for the exam if their exam seems complicated, or they will find a local guy if it looks like a slam dunk. I believe Dr Lou will do the same, he lists his email at the bottom of his post.

If you want to just stay local, find several pilots and ask around, go to a flight school or two and ask, not all ame's are good at dealing with special issuances and can cause a lot of grief for you.

Best of luck with this, don't give up on it unless you are specifically advised that you will not be issued by someone like one of these guys.

Dr. Bruce did my 3rd class in 2018. Like you, I had a list, but mine was much shorter and less challenging. Nevertheless, the submittal to the FAA was about 400 pages. The dermatology records alone were 170 pages for a few squamous cell carcinomas.

You’re probably facing a very steep hill. Do you really want to climb it, or do you just want to go fly?

Were I you, I’d probably go Sport and buy something like a Luscombe or an Ercoupe. If you really want to get the medical, though, put yourself in the hands of Dr. Lou or Dr. Bruce and do exactly what you’re told.

You’re probably facing a very steep hill. Do you really want to climb it, or do you just want to go fly?

This is the big question to answer. Now that I no longer have a bigger need to keep a medical (i.e. Cloud Nine when I was running that), my desire to deal with the hoops and bureaucracy associated is right around 0.

"Nevertheless, the submittal to the FAA was about 400 pages. The dermatology records alone were 170 pages for a few squamous cell carcinomas."

Wow, just ... wow. Not giving up just yet, but Sport Pilot is looking better all the time.

If I were in your position, I would go Sport Pilot. It sounds like that is the type flying you want to do anyway. Getting a Class III will probably cost you more than you would spend buying a LSA.

I'm a private pilot, and in late 2006 let my special issuance third class medical expire and began flying LSAs using a valid state driver license in lieu of a medical certificate, and exercising the privileges of a sport pilot. I bought an LSA and love flying it; it's a real airplane. I could do 90% of the kind of flying I did when I had my 172. When BasicMed became law in May, 2017, I jumped on it since I had held a valid third class medical after July, 2006, but I like my LSA so much I decided to keep it instead of getting a bigger airplane. With BasicMed I can fly at night (which I rarely do) and don't have the sport pilot altitude restrictions, but neither is really that important to me.

After flying as a sport pilot from 2006 to 2017, my advice is to just go sport pilot until you can be certain you'll be able to get a third class medical. Carpe Diem!

Many thanks to all who responded. I think you've convinced me to stick with sport pilot, at least for now. I'm hoping to have my second cataract surgery next month, then start up fresh with my "new eyes." See you in the sky!

Sounds great! Keep us posted on your progress.

I think you'll find Sport will work well for you. The newer LSAs are quite capable aircraft, and even the older planes (Cubs, Ercoupes, Luscombes, etc.) can be used for traveling and are perfect for low-&-slow sightseeing flights. Lots of folks with Private tickets are flying LSAs because they're good planes that suit their needs.

I know you wrote that you don't want to buy a plane, but the scarcity of LSA rentals might not leave you with much choice. You can probably get something like a used Tecnam fairly inexpensively, or go with a vintage aircraft. There is an STC available for Ercoupes to bring the MTOW from 1260 up to 1320 lbs, the LSA maximum.

Check out these links:
https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/luscombe-adventures.130547/

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back