Miramar Airshow

jkaduk

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
John Kaduk
The Miramar Airshow is next weekend Oct 12, 13, and 14. Who's planning on going? This year for the first time ever the Air Force Thunderbirds will be performing. I am manning the Angel Flight booth on Saturday from 12 to 3. If you come to the show on Saturday, please stop by and say hi.

John - good on ya! I've wanted to get back to this ever since I left Miramar in '85 but haven't yet! One of these days ...

There's a slim chance I will still be in San Diego that weekend... if so, I'll be at the show for sure. :yes:

John - good on ya! I've wanted to get back to this ever since I left Miramar in '85 but haven't yet! One of these days ...

I think your heart might break when you see the sign at the gate that says MCAS.

I think your heart might break when you see the sign at the gate that says MCAS.
When visiting the inlaws in Hemet, I've driven by a few times after the turn-over... just doesn't look the same in Red and Gold... :no:

I'm going flying Sunday morning, so I'll probably be at the show Saturday.

Okay, Leslie and I will be there on Saturday. We'll be driving in from Palm Springs. John, we'll stop by to say "Hi!"

Okay, Leslie and I will be there on Saturday. We'll be driving in from Palm Springs. John, we'll stop by to say "Hi!"

I'm looking forward to it.

To all that are coming - the earlier you get there the easier traffic and parking will be. Gates open at 8.
I live close enough that I'm going to ride my bike. You can lock up your bike to the fence at the entrance to the flight line. :yes:

I'm looking forward to it.

To all that are coming - the earlier you get there the easier traffic and parking will be. Gates open at 8.
I live close enough that I'm going to ride my bike. You can lock up your bike to the fence at the entrance to the flight line. :yes:
We're not planning to be there until about noon, so I expect that we'll have a bit of a walk.

John, it was great meeting up with you! Here's the picture I took of you manning the booth, talking to Leslie.

We wound up not staying for the twilight show, because our feet were killing us. We walked from the West entrance down to the far end of the runway and back.

We did see the Thunderbirds again, and they were awesome, even though they were limited to doing the low show today. Also, we were too far from the flight line to see the ceremony as they boarded their planes. I resume it's similar to the one that the Blue Angels do. We saw that at Boca Chica a couple of years ago. All in all, we had a great time!

Attachments

• John_Kaduk (Large).JPG
    John_Kaduk (Large).JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 18
Which hangar were you set up in? I spend some time in Hangars 5 and 6 ...

Which hangar were you set up in? I spend some time in Hangars 5 and 6 ...

I didn't notice the number, I'm pretty sure it was the first hanger east of the tower.
It occurs to me that you may have been there at the same time as my ex-brother in law. Ever know of a guy named Newmiller? I know, it's a big base, but you never know.

Last edited:
John, it was great meeting up with you! Here's the picture I took of you manning the booth, talking to Leslie.
Great meeting you. I will post my pic as soon as I get it downloaded from my camera. I would have liked to spend more time chatting, but I didn't want to take up too much of your airshow watching time.
We wound up not staying for the twilight show, because our feet were killing us. We walked from the West entrance down to the far end of the runway and back.
I thought you said you guys were Oshkosh veteran's. Couldn't have been any worse than that.:)
I've actually never seen the twilight show in it's entirety. I need to make time for that next time.
We did see the Thunderbirds again, and they were awesome, even though they were limited to doing the low show today. Also, we were too far from the flight line to see the ceremony as they boarded their planes. I resume it's similar to the one that the Blue Angels do. We saw that at Boca Chica a couple of years ago. All in all, we had a great time!
Being ex AF I hate to admit it, but I think the Blues do a better show. However I think the Birds fly prettier airplanes.
Unfortunately they've been putting up more and more bleachers and chalet's. It used to be that they only had one set of bleachers and you could see well from just about anywhere. Nowadays it looks like if you want to be able to see everything you gotta pay for a seat.

I didn't notice the number, I'm pretty sure it was the first hanger east of the tower.
It occurs to me that you may have been there at the same time as my ex-brother in law. Ever know of a guy named Newmiller? I know, it's a big base, but you never know.
Hangar 3, first one east of the tower ... from google trivia search, home of (at that time) VF-124, VF-54, and VF-111, the later two squadrons provided airplanes for the movie Top Gun. Hanger 3 had a number of scenes shot there ...

Nope, don't recognize the name ... but like you said, it's a big base (and my squadrons were deployed on cruises for a number of those years)

Need pix. Heart still hurts I missed it, being ex-Navy and all. ...

I didn't make an effort to meet up with anyone at this one; oh well.
I was there Saturday, with my feet so wet I was wringing out my socks and holding them up for the Shockwave jet truck to dry them off...:rolleyes:

What a show!! I have plenty of pics; maybe I'll post a few of the best.

I didn't make an effort to meet up with anyone at this one; oh well.
I was there Saturday, with my feet so wet I was wringing out my socks and holding them up for the Shockwave jet truck to dry them off...:rolleyes:

What a show!! I have plenty of pics; maybe I'll post a few of the best.
We thought of you when we walked bast the choppers there. Unfortunately, we have almost no pictures, and none from the show itself. Look forward to seeing yours!

None of my pictures of the Tbirds were to my liking, but here is a picture of myself and the lovely young couple.

Attachments

• IMG_1491 (2).JPG
    IMG_1491 (2).JPG
    377.7 KB · Views: 11
Speaking of pictures... it was tough shooting, but here are a few decent ones. Got some statics too, if anybody's interested. They had a "Spooky" C-47 gunship that I just fell in love with, among others.

I shot quite a few of the T-Birds, but they are like... eh.

Attachments

• rotmiramar07POA02.JPG
    rotmiramar07POA02.JPG
    611 KB · Views: 5
  • rotmiramar07POA08.JPG
    rotmiramar07POA08.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • rotmiramar07POA06.JPG
    rotmiramar07POA06.JPG
    689.2 KB · Views: 4
  • rotmiramar07POA07.JPG
    rotmiramar07POA07.JPG