Minor incident KGJT / western Colorado

Dennis McKim

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Dennis McKim
http://www.nbc11news.com/home/headl...sing-landing-gear-capabilities-301912391.html
GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. A Cessna plane landing at the Grand Junction Regional Airport has landed safely, after losing landing gear capabilities in the nose of the plane just after 11:30 AM this morning.
Crews on scene said the pilot of the plane spent 45 minutes trying to manually lower the nose gear, but could not get it to lower. The plane flew past the airport tower, which confirmed the nose gear was not lowered.

According to the Grand Junction Regional Airport, there were two people on board the aircraft. The pilot made an emergency landing on Runway 4, as the pilot kept the plane back on the wheels as long as possible, then came down on the nose of the plane to land.

There were no reported injuries, and minimal damage to the nose of the plane, along with the propeller. The Grand Junction Regional Airport says crews are working to remove the aircraft from the runway.

Not sure about total technical accuracy in every detail, but it was nice that our local TV station did not refer to it as a "crash."

Nice write up,glad all turned out well. It will buff right out.

I hadn't heard about that fatal incident. Trinidad is >200nm from GJT and on the other side of the Continental Divide.

It was at Grand Junction. I was in Vernal Utah and a flight instructor had just returned with a student from Grand junction and said the airport was being shut down when they got there as there was a low wing twin engine aircraft that the nose gear indicator would not indicate lowered and the tower confirmed that it had not.
This report said cessna, so either a 310 or 421 maybe?

Trinidad or Grand Junction? They are quite a ways apart. I wouldn't consider Trinidad "western Colorado" unless you are from Lamar.

Oh wait, you are referring to a different accident.

Yeah....

Sorry kids, I should have made that clear...:redface::redface::redface:

It was at Grand Junction. I was in Vernal Utah and a flight instructor had just returned with a student from Grand junction and said the airport was being shut down when they got there as there was a low wing twin engine aircraft that the nose gear indicator would not indicate lowered and the tower confirmed that it had not.
This report said cessna, so either a 310 or 421 maybe?

The video linked to the story I cited in the OP shows a single-engine high wing aircraft, so I'm not sure if that's the same incident or not. Also, while the field may have been "closed" for a few minutes, 04/22 is a 5500' secondary runway at GJT. 11/29 is the 10,500' main runway, used by the regional carriers and almost all other traffic. I doubt that 11/29 was closed for very long but I don't know that for sure.

Back