Minocycline

U

Unregistered

Got prescribed minocycline and wanted to make sure I was ok to fly before taking any of it. I wasn't able to find much online and thought someone on here might have some answers.
Thanks!

Got prescribed minocycline and wanted to make sure I was ok to fly before taking any of it. I wasn't able to find much online and thought someone on here might have some answers.
Thanks!

I Googled CAMI FAA minocycline and all the hits were missing minocycline so initial indications don't put it on the prohibited list, nor do I see any other tetracycline antibiotics. As for side effects or underlying causes I can't say anything to, but I don't see a problem from taking it. I am not an AME though and this is worth what you paid for it, just my opinion.

Minocycline (trade name Solodyn) is an antibiotic used to treat infections. With no adverse side effects, the only question would be whether the underlying condition it's treating is a problem. Wait until you feel well enough to fly and remember to report the doctor visit on your next medical application.

I see a couple issues related to being ok to fly. One is related to the underlying condition you were prescribed the medication for and the second is related to the medication itself.

If your underlying condition effects your fitness you may not be ok to fly. If say you have a bacterial infection involving the middle ear, you should not fly.

The second factor is the medication itself. An antibiotic itself would not preclude flying as it is not considered an impairing medication. Starting a new medication however may induce undesirable side effects. To ensure a lack of adverse effects after starting a new medication a waiting period is warranted such as 48 hours.

Here is a list of FAA accepted medications:
http://www.leftseat.com/medcat1.htm

I see a couple issues related to being ok to fly. One is related to the underlying condition you were prescribed the medication for and the second is related to the medication itself.

If your underlying condition effects your fitness you may not be ok to fly. If say you have a bacterial infection involving the middle ear, you should not fly.

The second factor is the medication itself. An antibiotic itself would not preclude flying as it is not considered an impairing medication. Starting a new medication however may induce undesirable side effects. To ensure a lack of adverse effects after starting a new medication a waiting period is warranted such as 48 hours.

Here is a list of FAA accepted medications:
http://www.leftseat.com/medcat1.htm

OP here, the underlying condition is acne treatment so nothing to serious there. Doc tried to prescribed Accutane and said I wouldn't take it because of the problems it would cause with flying so I'm hoping this is better. I would wait at least 48 to fly after I started taking it.

I think minocycline is commonly used to treat rosacea which is a chronic skin condition so it is not necessarily a typical bacterial infection being treated with this medication.

OP here, the underlying condition is acne treatment so nothing to serious there. Doc tried to prescribed Accutane and said I wouldn't take it because of the problems it would cause with flying so I'm hoping this is better. I would wait at least 48 to fly after I started taking it.

The most common side effect is an upset stomach. It's a strong antibiotic, so you should be careful with your alcohol intake while taking it. I wouldn't worry too much about it affecting your flying.

Another worrisome side effect is photosensitivity. This can result is a tendency to get sunburn or rashes when exposed to UV light which can happen when flying.

Minocin may cause sun sensitivity (photosensitivity), which could lead to sunburns. Avoid sun exposure and the use of sunlamps or tanning beds, and use proper sun protection. Stop Minocin and call your doctor if your skin turns red. http://www.pdrhealth.com/drugs/minocin

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back