Mini-monovision

kkoran

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Kent
Monovision lenses (one eye set for distance, the other for near vision) have been discussed in numerous threads. The FAA does not allow monovision contacts, but does allow monovision implanted lenses.

Does anyone here have experience with intraocular lenses in a minimonovision (.5 to .75 diopter difference) configuration? The goal is to improve intermediate distance vision. Readers would still be required. For near vision.

Just a random suggestion. Before changing your eyes, consider getting a pair of glasses made up that way and trying the setup out first.

Your final outcome requires that the eyes be within 3 lines of each other on the eye chart, or it is mono vision. Anything closer is simply disparate vision.

...beyond three lines, the brain starts to ignore the “poor focus” eye....

I always thought doing such a thing would result in a headache and eventual disorientation until I tried it with Night Vision Goggles.

I had my left eye focused for near vision and my right eye for far vision. After two hours, I had fully adapted to the combined vision and felt less tired than I would have been with normal focusing.

Also, when I had the lenses in my eyes replaced with synthetic lenses (best thing ever!) I had a week between the surgeries and my brain combined the two focal lengths into a "normal" view.

I would say it is very dependent on each person's ability to adapt to the change. In my case, I was surprised with the results!

Monovision lenses (one eye set for distance, the other for near vision) have been discussed in numerous threads. The FAA does not allow monovision contacts, but does allow monovision implanted lenses.

Does anyone here have experience with intraocular lenses in a minimonovision (.5 to .75 diopter difference) configuration? The goal is to improve intermediate distance vision. Readers would still be required. For near vision.

Most patients end up with a bit of mini-monovision after cataract surgery, even if the intent is to go for an equal refractive result. The calculation algorithms have improved enormously in the last thirty years, and in particular in the last ten. But, they just aren't good enough to be within 0.25 D every time, more typically +/- 0.50 D about 70% of the time. Your eyes could easily be 1.00 D different. Now, you can always have some corneal refractive touchup afterwards, if you are really picky, or even a lens exchange if the refractive surprise is large.

Also remember, that this is UNCORRECTED refractive error. After cataract surgery, put on a pair of glasses and you are set perfectly for distance and near.

Different situation with monovsion with contacts (or glasses), because there you are purposely creating, and leaving in place, some amount of monovision (one eye corrected more for near) with your correction in place.

* Orest

Last edited:
Bifocal contacts are also an option. I just switched to them, and they work very well for me. The reading correction isn't perfect, and I sometimes will use reading glasses with them when I'm doing extended reading to reduce eyestrain, but overall much better than always needing reading glasses. For distance vision and peripheral vision, there is not difference for me from regular contacts. My eyes and brain adapted to them pretty much immediately.

Most patients end up with a bit of mini-monovision after cataract surgery, even if the intent is to go for an equal refractive result. The calculation algorithms have improved enormously in the last thirty years, and in particular in the last ten. But, they just aren't good enough to be within 0.25 D every time, more typically +/- 0.50 D about 70% of the time. Your eyes could easily be 1.00 D different. Now, you can always have some corneal refractive touchup afterwards, if you are really picky, or even a lens exchange if the refractive surprise is large.
What do the sunglasses do?

Also remember, that this is UNCORRECTED refractive error. After cataract surgery, put on a pair of glasses and you are set perfectly for distance and near.

Different situation with monovsion with contacts (or glasses), because there you are purposely creating, and leaving in place, some amount of monovision (one eye corrected more for near) with your correction in place.

* Orest

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back