Mini-Generator (non-aviation) Break-in Question

Jim Rosenow

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Jim Rosenow
Question for you small engine guys. What would you suggest as a break-in procedure for a new 2kw generator? Manufacturer advice is sadly lacking...as in 'break in the engine with the included 10w30 before switching to synthetic".

My thought is to fill the thing up, start it up, and attach a 1500 watt milk house heater to it for a few hours and let it chug along. Good?...bad? How long before switching oil?

The only thing I've done break-in on in the last 20 years was an 0-235.... Thanks!

Jim

What would you suggest as a break-in procedure for a new 2kw generator?
What brand? If Honda nothing special as they have been previously run. Just change the oil after 5-10 hrs (in manual) to remove mfg'r leftovers.

Beats me!....but manufacturer doesn't mention mixing anything in the gas.

Attachments

• 78097167-6262-4359-8042-BA5DB91F4AA6.jpeg
    78097167-6262-4359-8042-BA5DB91F4AA6.jpeg
    220 KB · Views: 47
Wish I could have found the little Honda.....like hen's teeth. This one came empty of oil...

Funny thing is I thought I had 'read' the manual....duh! Guess I 'scanned' it....missed the part you mentioned, and the part that said, "Do not use a gas oil mix". I use 'rec' non-alcoholic gas in all my small stuff, and everything starts on 2nd or third pull.

Thanks guys....just re-affirms the first rule of computer geeks...RTFM. ;-)

Jim

PS....and you're right bell206. This unit has been run-in. Residual oil on the dipstick.

Last edited:
Be sure to check the manual as some generators require an electrical load for a length of time to be put on the generator itself as part of the break-in procedure.

I just picked up a new Honda 2200 and place I got it from was awesome in setting it up, getting started, and going through procedures and Mx...only thing I had to worry about was recommended first oil change at 10 hours but no other break in requirements.

Having broken in a few other small engines that had a procedure specified, not one of them was park at a constant RMP for any duration and actually warned against doing just that. They were all vary the RMPs during the break in.

Check your manual if it calls for something specific for your model.

I'd run 2 cycle oil in the fuel at 100:1
I've heard this advice before. Problem with that, is that added oil creates a leaner gas mixture = higher heat. Most engines now-a-days are set too lean for emissions purposes.

Be sure to check the manual as some generators require an electrical load for a length of time to be put on the generator itself as part of the break-in procedure.

This is a good point. Otherwise it's just idling.

Wish I'd have seen your post earlier, Bill, but thanks! Ran the thing for about an hour and a half yesterday with a milk house heater attached. The 'running' wattage rating on the gen is 1700 watts. I varied the load between 1500 watts of heat, 1300 watts, and just the fan on the milk house heater for that time, but mostly on 1500 watts. Guess we'll see how it goes. I'll probably change the oil next (more 10w30 for now, but I'll add MMO this time), and run it some more. I figure you can't change the oil TOO often. I noted he had a good tip on pulling the starter rope thru several times to coat the cylinder wall with oil before actually trying to fire it up.

Interesting thing about the advertising for the gens. They claim seriously quiet running...which is true...with almost no load. With 1500 watts attached, I think the thing is actually louder than my MEP803a (mil surplus) diesel that will power the whole house, including a/c. Of course, the little gen is working harder as a percentage of its' rating. I downloaded a decibel meter to my phone, and maybe tomorrow I'll have time to play and get some readings on both.

The little gen seems well made and put together. Started on the third pull on the very first start.

Jim

good tip on pulling the starter rope thru several times to coat the cylinder wall with oil
Don't see how you'd get any oil splash from pulling it through... seems more likely you'd just wipe off any oil film there might have been. But unlikely to make any difference either way. Running it once a month is probably more important.

Paul

Why do people make things so complicated? These engines are well designed and run like a champ even if you treat them like ****. Treat them nice (nothing more complicated than following the instructions) and they’ll practically last forever.

Back