Mini Attitude Indicator

Len Lanetti

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Lenny
I would like to add a small electric attitude indicator to the Mooney panel. In the jet world I think they are often called Peanut Attitude Indicator.

Requirements - run off of 14v electrical system.

Does not need battery backup as I don't anticipate vacuum and electrical failure concurrently while in IMC.

Ken I., what can you tell me about the attitude indicator I see in the photo of the panel of your aircraft.

Thanks,

Len

Len Lanetti said:
I would like to add a small electric attitude indicator to the Mooney panel. In the jet world I think they are often called Peanut Attitude Indicator.

Requirements - run off of 14v electrical system.

Does not need battery backup as I don't anticipate vacuum and electrical failure concurrently while in IMC.

Ken I., what can you tell me about the attitude indicator I see in the photo of the panel of your aircraft.

Thanks,

Len
Not Ken. But I have PCEFIS's AI on a Compaq Ipaq. Ken has the small box "termporarily" put into the panel. Same software. Costs about $1,000, works very well. If I lose a Vac pump (1 of 2) I would not hesitate to finish a NON ICE trip on the remaining one.

Len Lanetti said:
I have the e-Gyro3 from PC Flightsystems (www.pcflightsystems.com). It is now a few years old, but when I got it I did extensive flight testing and put a review in Aviation Consumer. In a nutshell, I could not fool it with extended constant-rate turns or acro and I found it surprisingly accurate. I have flown simulated "localizer" approaches with only it and a handheld GPS showing extended centerline with good results.

It's a box about 3"W x 3"H x 2"D. The newer ones have heading information and a 9-volt battery, but the screen is a little smaller. Knowing Craig (designer/builder), he's probably got something else cool out. I'll check his booth at SNF this week and let you know what I find.

EDIT: Mine cannot permanently install unless you can get a really friendly FAA guy to give you a field approval. I have it "temporarily mounted" to the inside of the panel with dual lock and had an aux power plug installed under the panel. However, it boots in seconds and when I rent I keep it in the flight bag. If the AI dies, I'll just dual lock that sucker right on the glass of the failed instrument and plug it into the aux power.

Last edited:
Re: Mini Attitude Indicator Look Here

Some time back I was looking into roll rate measurements for a locomotive ride quality comparison study between GE and EMD, the last two locomotive manufacturers in the US.
I was looking into various methods of doing it with our in-house dada acq system, and found this at Crossbow. When I talked to the tech suport guy, he told me they had marketed these to the EAA chapters with little success. As I recall, they weren't too expensive for their capabilities. Simple hookup. I believe you could even make a portable floor mount for renters.

http://www.xbow.com/Support/downloads.htm#gyroview

Scroll down 2/3ds of the way down the page to see the IPAQ hookup.

Re: Mini Attitude Indicator Look Here

Keith Lane said:
I was looking into various methods of doing it with our in-house dada acq system, and found this at Crossbow. When I talked to the tech suport guy, he told me they had marketed these to the EAA chapters with little success. As I recall, they weren't too expensive for their capabilities. Simple hookup. I believe you could even make a portable floor mount for renters.
This is similar to what Bruce has, except the gyro module has gotten very small. Now it's about the size of two 9-volt batteries. It's also sort of the same thing as AnyWhereMap's, AnyWhereAI.

Bruce, Keith & Ken,

Thanks.

Ken, The PC Flight Systems device looks very interesting. I would be interested in hearing about what you see at Sun n Fun.

I'm also very interested in the new JPI EDM 900 that is supposed to be STC'd for certified aircraft by Sun n Fun. If you happen to get a look at one I'd like to hear any opinions you have on that box as well.

Thanks,

Len

Back