Milwaukee

Darsh

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Darsh
Taking a few buddies up to Milwaukee for dinner. Any recommendations on a place to go near KMKE? Also, I'm flying out of KPWK. Should I even bother trying to get clearance for the Bravo, or should I just stay below it?

Last edited:
Not near the airport but try Mader's It's a excellent German restaurant
1041 North Old World 3rd Street
Milwaukee, WI 53203
(414) 271-3377

I work in Milwaukee. The airport is around 20 minutes south of downtown, and there is any kind of restaurant you could imagine in a big city. On the south side there are several great Mexican restaurants and a Serbian restaurant as well.

There is all kinds of fine and casual dining in the city itself.

There is very little near the airport, with one exception. I've never been to this one, but I've heard it is a pretty good steak house: http://www.southwoods.net/

However, downtown Milwaukee will give you a ton of options.

One of my favorites is a classic German restaurant: http://www.karlratzsch.com/

If you're looking for a diner-type, there are two places, one south of downtown (in between the airport and downtown): http://www.honeypiecafe.com/ (Yes, that's the correct name. As you can imagine, great homemade pies, but the other food is great. Try the Davenport.)

North of downtown, you'll want to go here: http://www.thecometcafe.com/ If you love bacon, and who doesn't, this is the place to go. Try the bacon-wrapped meatloaf sandwich. It was featured on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. Yummy.

Thank you. It's only 9:09AM and I'm starving now.

If you are leaving out of KPWK VFR there is no need to even try to get into the Chicago Bravo. You can easily get to Milwaukee without need to climb up into the Bravo.

There are not that many place near KMKE, is that were you are planning to land?
You could go to Timmerman and walk to the Greek restaurant a few hundred feet from the FBO. Or fly further north to KSBM and go to the on field restaurant which is very good. If you do decide on staying in the Milwaukee area there are some good places downtown. See if you can get the crew car and hit Mader's (which I think was already suggested).

More southernly is Frank's Diner in Kenosha, http://www.franksdinerkenosha.com/ also a very good spot.

Taking a few buddies up to Milwaukee for dinner. Any recommendations on a place to go near KMKE? Also, I'm flying out of KPWK. Should I even bother trying to get clearance for the Bravo, or should I just stay below it?

Are you dead-set on going to KMKE? Last I checked, which was quite a while ago, $ignature had raised their price for just showing your face to $46. If you're trying to show them how cool it is to fly somewhere for dinner, KMKE is NOT the place to go. :no:

Here's lots of other recommendations to the north:

* KRAC. Grab the courtesy van and go around the corner to Infusino's (italian). They'll happily put you over gross for less than 10 bucks.

* KRYV. Walk out of the FBO parking lot straight to the main drag (about 2 blocks), go left for about 1/2 block and go to Steakfire. Grill your own. Good food.

* KSBM. You really want to impress someone, go here. Final Approach restaurant is in the big gray building near the approach end of runway 3. One of the top three airport restaurants in the country, IMO.

Now, if you want to show your friends some average-to-bad ATC, crappy line service at an FBO, exhorbitant fees, and spending a crapload of money on a mediocre dinner, KMKE is a great choice. :frown2:

Are you dead-set on going to KMKE? Last I checked, which was quite a while ago, $ignature had raised their price for just showing your face to $46. If you're trying to show them how cool it is to fly somewhere for dinner, KMKE is NOT the place to go. :no:

* KRAC. Grab the courtesy van and go around the corner to Infusino's (italian). They'll happily put you over gross for less than 10 bucks.

* KRYV. Walk out of the FBO parking lot straight to the main drag (about 2 blocks), go left for about 1/2 block and go to Steakfire. Grill your own. Good food.

* KSBM. You really want to impress someone, go here. Final Approach restaurant is in the big gray building near the approach end of runway 3. One of the top three airport restaurants in the country, IMO.

Now, if you want to show your friends some average-to-bad ATC, crappy line service at an FBO, exhorbitant fees, and spending a crapload of money on a mediocre dinner, KMKE is a great choice. :frown2:
Roger that. I'll definitely pick somewhere else haha. The grill your own place sounds good. How much is it?

Kent, you're up at UWM - I hope you've already made it to the Comet Cafe!

Roger that. I'll definitely pick somewhere else haha. The grill your own place sounds good. How much is it?

18 bucks for the full meal (steak, potato, texas toast, and "salad presentation" where they make your salad for you right at your table). So, probably less than you're used to paying for a steak in the Chicago area. That justifies flying, right? You're saving money on food! ;)

Kent, you're up at UWM - I hope you've already made it to the Comet Cafe!

Yeah, I've been there a couple of times. Didn't realize it was famous. :dunno:

I will second the recommendation of Infusino's. Racine is my hometown, and Infusino's is a great Italian restaurant.

Unlike so many of the newer Italian restaurants, when you order lasagna, you get a SLAB of lasagna -- and it will run you less than ten bucks. Their bread is to die for.

Man, does that sound GREAT. There is no such thing as an Italian restaurant like that one down here in Texas. (Nor was there one in Iowa, now that I think of it.)

Unlike so many of the newer Italian restaurants, when you order lasagna, you get a SLAB of lasagna -- and it will run you less than ten bucks.

I don't even remember what I had when I went there. I remember who I was with, I remember that we got enough food to be completely overstuffed, and I think it was something like $6.95. Even with drink, tax, tip it was under 10 bucks. That was about 6 years ago though.

Just saw one of their vans running around Racine the other day, though, so I know they're still there! :thumbsup:

Looks like there's still plenty of stuff under 10 bucks - The aforementioned slab of lasagna is $8.45: http://infusinos.com/new inf menu.pdf

Last edited:
You could also try KUES (Waukesha). If you can nab a crew car, there are some nice waterfront restaurants in nearby Pewaukee and Delafield.
My favorite place for a bite to eat is the Sports Dock (W278N2345 Prospect Avenue, Pewaukee, WI 53072-5217).
Nice thing about KUES is that it's a GA airport, unlike MKE.

The last time I was there the FBO charged me a $5 handling fee for landing to use the restroom. I was very disappointed in that a) I was having to pay a fee and b) the handling charge only applied to the airplane. :D

I was annoyed that they charged the fee. Ever since I stopped going there and used Timmerman instead. Had I parked overnight I would not have had a problem with the fee at all. But it really was just a short stop, <30 minutes.

The last time I was there the FBO charged me a $5 handling fee for landing to use the restroom. I was very disappointed in that a) I was having to pay a fee and b) the handling charge only applied to the airplane. :D

I was annoyed that they charged the fee. Ever since I stopped going there and used Timmerman instead. Had I parked overnight I would not have had a problem with the fee at all. But it really was just a short stop, <30 minutes.

Meh. If I use anything other than just the door of the FBO to get through the fence that $5 wouldn't bother me. But to just park, yeah...annoying.

I know what you mean, and I agree, but that's kind of the way things are going with these larger GA airports that cater to bizjets.
Also, I'd still rather pay the annoying five bucks and go and sit on the shore of Lake Pewaukee while having a Friday fish fry and an iced tea than going to a forgettable restaurant near Timmerman.
Or, seeing as though the OP is flying from PWK, he could take a nice flight to Lake Geneva (C02), which is the old Playboy Club, and pay no landing fee at all. The restaurants at the resort are great.

You could also try KUES (Waukesha). If you can nab a crew car, there are some nice waterfront restaurants in nearby Pewaukee and Delafield.
My favorite place for a bite to eat is the Sports Dock (W278N2345 Prospect Avenue, Pewaukee, WI 53072-5217).

Bad thing about KUES is that the only FBO there is Atlantic, which makes even $ignature look small-GA friendly.

Last time I went to UES - And I didn't even go inside, I showed up for five minutes to pick up a friend from the county-owned terminal - They actually called the tower after I'd started up and had them call me and tell me to contact Atlantic on UNICOM - And the bastards actually wanted me to taxi back in so that I could pay them their fee. Um, NO. And I'm not going back.

There are plenty of other options around. Capitol (02C) is very close to UES - Oh, and they're supposed to have a really good restaurant right next door. Haven't tried that one yet so forgot to mention it. Usually when I fly into the Milwaukee area these days I go to either RAC or MWC. It's very unlikely that I'll ever go to MKE or UES again unless there's a change in FBO's. I'd rather drive than deal with them.

I know what you mean, and I agree, but that's kind of the way things are going with these larger GA airports that cater to bizjets.

I dunno, I've been to plenty of others that don't have a fee. Hell, I don't think I paid a fee at DPA and that's in a much larger city. I've paid a fee at Chicago Midway, but that's to be expected.

I've been to a lot of airports all over the country, and absent a $ignature or Atlantic FBO, fees for anything other than overnight are very rare. Hell, look at my home 'drome - KMSN. Wisconsin Aviation is the only FBO there, class C field - No fee.

Also, I'd still rather pay the annoying five bucks and go and sit on the shore of Lake Pewaukee while having a Friday fish fry and an iced tea than going to a forgettable restaurant near Timmerman.

You could get to Pewaukee from Timmerman pretty easily too...

Or, seeing as though the OP is flying from PWK, he could take a nice flight to Lake Geneva (C02), which is the old Playboy Club, and pay no landing fee at all. The restaurants at the resort are great.

Sounds like a good idea!

Back