Military upslip and SSRIs

Mikec64

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Mikec64
TLDR: I'm taking SSRIs, but will have proof of being on military flight status. Can I fly an N number aircraft for personal use?

I used the search function, but didn't find anything specific to this. I would like some opinions of my interpretation of part 61 as it pertains to SSRIs. I have been on a stable dose of Lexapro for 5 months now for generalized anxiety and moderate depression. The medication has been effective, and has eliminated all of my symptoms. I hold a class 1 medical, but have not been flying since starting the medication. I am also in the military, and am nearly through their waiver process. 61.23(b) states that a person is not required to hold a medical certificate (9) when a military pilot of the US Armed Forces can show evidence of an up-to-date medical examination authorizing pilot flight status issued by the US Armed Forces and (1) flight does not require higher than a 3rd class medical and the flight is a domestic flight within US airspace. My interpretation is that if I want to rent a plane and fly my family, as long as I have a military upslip I am legal and a medical certificate is not required, despite that I am working through the special issuance for my class 1. Are there any FAA interpretations out there, or has anyone been in this situation before?

If you currently hold a valid medical then maybe you should go get a basicmed exam and then you wouldn’t have to worry at all.

IME, the USAF restricted medication list is more restrictive than the FAAs, I don’t know about the Navy. Any chance you could find a Flight Doc that also issues FAA medicals?
I interpret it similar to you, but since you have a current medical I think it complicates things. I’m curious to hear the answer.

Doesn’t say anything about the up slip having to be issued with no waivers. I used mine for 3 years as a class 3 before I got out.

Doesn’t say anything about the up slip having to be issued with no waivers. I used mine for 3 years as a class 3 before I got out.

Right, but that's not the sticking point. The stipulation is that in order to exercise the 3rd class privies on the FAA side via this regulatory carve out made for mil folks, the military medical must be honored as issued. That means including its limitations and waivers, if present.

Examples where this would be different from an FAA 3rd class would be say, a USAF medical dictating stricter vision requirements which drive you to wear corrective lenses, but the 3rd class vision standards of the FAA are more lax. In the civilian side one would merely be issued a 3rd class without corrective lenses stipulation as one wouldn't need them, but if one chose to fly under the military medical with corrective lens requirement as presented in my hypothetical, you'd have to wear them in civilian 3rd class flying too because that's the requirement stipulated in the military medical one holds.

I haven't held an FAA medical since 2006; 3rd class privies expired probably in 2009 or so. I've been flying my civilian recreational side under the provisions of AF medicals ever since. Hell, I even took an ATP practical ride in 2016 with a military medical in my pocket. And yes, most civilians (FBOs in particular) can't read it from a chinese menu, which can get interesting.

As you know, in the military if you're under review for a waiver on your military medical, they put you on DNIF. That means you are not in active flying status until the waiver is issued. As such, you can't fly with that military medical in the FAA side, because you don't technically have a valid military medical. To try and speed in the civilian side because civilians are not versed in military medicals, is to gamble with the FSDO if something were to happen. They're not that aloof. FSDO does speak military forms. I've sent in AF form 8 for equivalencies to certificate add-ons et al, they know the lingo.

BL, if you can't fly your work airplane in the DOD because of waiting on a standing waiver process to your mil medical, then you can't fly 3rd class privies under the auspices of that mil medical until that waiver is resolved in the mil side. ONce you do, sure you can fly with it. But that's not the OPs situation just yet. But assuming the FAA doesn't speak military forms is a caveat emptor thing for the OPs.

Right, but that's not the sticking point. The stipulation is that in order to exercise the 3rd class privies on the FAA side via this regulatory carve out made for mil folks, the military medical must be honored as issued. That means including its limitations and waivers, if present.

Examples where this would be different from an FAA 3rd class would be say, a USAF medical dictating stricter vision requirements which drive you to wear corrective lenses, but the 3rd class vision standards of the FAA are more lax. In the civilian side one would merely be issued a 3rd class without corrective lenses stipulation as one wouldn't need them, but if one chose to fly under the military medical with corrective lens requirement as presented in my hypothetical, you'd have to wear them in civilian 3rd class flying too because that's the requirement stipulated in the military medical one holds.

I haven't held an FAA medical since 2006; 3rd class privies expired probably in 2009 or so. I've been flying my civilian recreational side under the provisions of AF medicals ever since. Hell, I even took an ATP practical ride in 2016 with a military medical in my pocket. And yes, most civilians (FBOs in particular) can't read it from a chinese menu, which can get interesting.

As you know, in the military if you're under review for a waiver on your military medical, they put you on DNIF. That means you are not in active flying status until the waiver is issued. As such, you can't fly with that military medical in the FAA side, because you don't technically have a valid military medical. To try and speed in the civilian side because civilians are not versed in military medicals, is to gamble with the FSDO if something were to happen. They're not that aloof. FSDO does speak military forms. I've sent in AF form 8 for equivalencies to certificate add-ons et al, they know the lingo.

BL, if you can't fly your work airplane in the DOD because of waiting on a standing waiver process to your mil medical, then you can't fly 3rd class privies under the auspices of that mil medical until that waiver is resolved in the mil side. ONce you do, sure you can fly with it. But that's not the OPs situation just yet. But assuming the FAA doesn't speak military forms is a caveat emptor thing for the OPs.

Ok, I guess I was assuming he / she already has the 4186 with waiver. Apparently this isn’t the case...yet.

I appreciate the input. I am currently on a downslip, but I was just thinking about future flying as I'm nearing approval of my waiver. Thanks!

If you currently hold a valid medical then maybe you should go get a basicmed exam and then you wouldn’t have to worry at all.

I've considered that as well, but I'd like to pursue the SI just in case I decide to go back to flying for a living down the road.

I've considered that as well, but I'd like to pursue the SI just in case I decide to go back to flying for a living down the road.

So deal with it down the road, and go Basic Med for now. Why roll dice before you have to?

So deal with it down the road, and go Basic Med for now. Why roll dice before you have to?

Because he has to have a flight physical for work anyway. No point in going BasicMed if his up slip will suffice for civ flying.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back