Military plane down in Michigan (Upper Peninsula)

YooperMooney

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
CapellaXS
The unknown type military bird hit the ground at around 2100 EST this evening in a remote location. It is assumed to be armed and USAF asked for responders to avoid the site until EOD assesses. Pilot appears to have ejected too. That was 3.5 hours ago. I’m very familiar with the area and the pilot would have went down into the trees into dense hardwoods. Do the ejection seats have voice comm capability? I would hope the pilot would have been able to send some sort of distress alert from the seat itself.

78784a42610b482faab8c6b91b738a89.jpg

Do the ejection seats have voice comm capability? I would hope the pilot would have been able to send some sort of distress alert from the seat itself.

Pilot will have a survival radio, seat will have an ELT on 243. 0 and if the pilot is like me, he has his cell phone! Hope he got out as uninjured as an ejection and tree landing can leave you.

Yeah, not a lot of good spots to set down in that part of the world. Last time I flew over it I was jonesing for an ejection seat...

I saw CAP scouring (via FlightAware) at around 0800 this morning and USCG was doing the same since 0700.
Here is a live shot of two CAP assets:
f45e2189135d7e0b40faa83177ed11f5.jpg

...USAF asked for responders to avoid the site until EOD assesses...

F-16s carry hydrazene for their EPU (emergency power unit) and crashes are always secured for that reason. Of course if there is usually at least TP ammo on board too.

F-16s carry hydrazene for their EPU (emergency power unit) and crashes are always secured for that reason. Of course if there is usually at least TP ammo on board too.

Hydrazine is a big issue on the F-16, as well as I believe most training flights carry at least a live missile or two since 9/11. That was a big story that day that the planes that were sent to intercept hijacked airplanes were unarmed at the time.

So do they shoot toilet paper, or do they shoot at the toilet paper?

I suspect those might be RC-135V/W Rivet Joint aircraft.

Your average KC-135 has all the stuff they need to be on-scene commander of an effort this size. A bigger airborne effort might get an AWACS.

Random training flights don't carry live 9's or 120's. This isn't 9/12/01. Also, ejection seats don't land with you really. So there isn't a phone to call home in them, since they are likely underwater or 1000s of yards away in bushes. But you do carry a radio in the survival vest that you wear. You also most likely carry a cell phone in this day and age. Jesus Fing christ you guys :) I love you all though

I think they found what they’re going to find. Yes, a bit in the sticks, but not extreme.

Terrible news. I wonder if he rode in it all the way down. Looks like they’ll release more info tomorrow morning.

Very sorry to hear this sad news.
RIP

Latest update: the USFS has barred access to the crash site area until the Fall 2021. I’m assuming this is due to extensive cleanup.

“Modified Emergency Closure Order
Recovery efforts for the F-16 Fighter Jet recovery are paused for the winter. A modified closure remains in place. Remediation efforts will occur in spring. View closure and map - Rapid River - Manistique Ranger District”

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd863383.pdf

Back