Military Pilot Question

If sanitizing your flight suit is important then the DVIDS website is the greatest "opsec" leak in military history

The military will waste your time for hours on end with computer based OPSEC training making you believe that if you don't take a different route to work every day your car is going to blow up next time you turn the radio on. The they'll publish picture and names of service members on the Internet so you can end up on an ISIS hit list and make you put DoD stickers on your car making you perfect TOO.

Give me a break

Last edited:
If sanitizing your flight suit is important then the DVIDS website is the greatest "opsec" leak in military history

The military will waste your time for hours on end with computer based OPSEC training making you believe that if you don't take a different route to work every day your car is going to blow up next time you turn the radio on. The they'll publish picture and names of service members on the Internet so you can end up on an ISIS hit list and make you put DoD stickers on your car making you perfect TOO.

Give me a break

DoD stickers for Base access went away years ago. Even the different colors for officer vs enlisted. The O-6s still like to put the Eagle sticker on.

Lol! I couldn't imagine sitting in a cramped cockpit for 7 hrs. I've logged 10.5 before but at least I got to get out, stretch my legs and take a leak. Of course didn't have the stress of a carrier landing at the end of the night either. My only worry was getting food poisoning from mid-rats after the mission.:wink2:

We used to keep our same blood chits the whole year. That's the only reason why I knew what mine looked like. Last deployment we signed them out before each flight. I think over the years the powers that be got tired of guys leaving their chits in the laundry and losing them.

My longest was just over 16 hours peacetime, I forget if there were 2 or 3 refuelings, onload was 100,000# each time. And yes, I could get out of the ejection seat, stretch the legs, climb a ladder and peek out the front windows and then go back to work.

On the subject of tankers, even if most of you have seen or experienced it :D

He hit the up limit, the boom retracted and a little PIO before he dived away.
Bet the boomer had to change his shorts or pull his balls back down.

I bet the IP or CP on the E-3 pushed real hard when the AC popped back up torwards the tanker.

Last edited:
If by years ago, you mean 2013, than yes.

They stopped issuing them here before 2007.
I think it was shortly after 9-11. No stickers to identify military members off base.

Then the State DMV started offering military association vanity plates. You can get the emblem of your service of choice with your DD-214.

They stopped issuing them here before 2007.
I think it was shortly after 9-11. No stickers to identify military members off base.

Then the State DMV started offering military association vanity plates. You can get the emblem of your service of choice with your DD-214.
Air Force was the first to stop it I believe. As 35AoA said, the Navy just stopped it less than 2 years ago.

DoD stickers for Base access went away years ago. Even the different colors for officer vs enlisted. The O-6s still like to put the Eagle sticker on.

Nope, USMC still has them

But seriously, was there a tactical reason not to have any pocket cash with you? I would think that might get you some help if you were shot down in enemy territory.

I always carried at least $100 on me in combat. I'm pretty sure I would have gotten help a lot faster flashing some American greenbacks around than a silly piece of paper promising some reward if they helped me. What do you think the literacy rate is in Afghanistan anyhow? I'd carry cash over a blood chit any day, especially when they came up with that ridiculously stiff and uncomfortable blood chit belt they made us wear.

Yeah, I don't see any real benefit for me to 'sanitize' my uniform before going to fly in the AOR. But it makes the intel guys happy, so I do it. I don't care one way or another. I do carry cash and I carry my cell phone most of the time. I'm not a pointy-nose guy, and if I was, maybe I'd think differently. But flying a large, multi-engine airplane, I'm thinking that if things go bad, I'm either going to make it back to my base, land somewhere friendly in country or, they will be so bad, I'm not walking away from it. My biggest concern if I can't make it base to base is being able to access the DFAC where I land and trying to find an empty tent to sleep in.

But flying a large, multi-engine airplane, I'm thinking that if things go bad, I'm either going to make it back to my base, land somewhere friendly in country or, they will be so bad, I'm not walking away from it. My biggest concern if I can't make it back to base is being able to access the DFAC where I land and trying to find an empty tent to sleep in.

Bingo! I carry cash & credit card. In case I have to divert for weather.

I always bought lunch / dinner for the crew if I got us stuck somewhere. Unfortunately that began to add up quickly over a year. :redface:

Surely you had some silk stockings and Hershey Bars with you "just in case", right? :D

Your post reminded me of the venerable B-52 captain Major T. J. "King" Kong...

Slim-Pickens-as-Major-T.-J.-Kong-in-Dr.-Strangelove-150x150.jpg

Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings.

Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.

:D :D

Last edited:
Back