Military jets takeoff / landing on highway

Wonder if they had a FOD Walk or street sweeper run by before the event.

Cheers

The story... ever hear the urban legend why there a five mile strait-a-ways with no overpasses on the interstate system?

I recon it is no longer a legend.:D
No. But it's no stretch of the imagination to get that. I'm sure the stories hit the street before the concrete was even poured

Come on, who would design a road to go straight if it weren’t for airplanes? Lol

Plenty of Autobahn/Autostradas in Western Europe designed to be emergency airstrips capable of handling fighter aircraft.

Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads.
(skip to 40s)

Nauga,
Jagged

Plenty of Autobahn/Autostradas in Western Europe designed to be emergency airstrips capable of handling fighter aircraft.

Hell, Saudi Arabia just went ahead and published theirs on the world VFR charts. At least as I recall from planning a transit from USS ship in the AG to Jordan a number of years ago.

The problem with operating fighters from roads or other austere sights is you have to provide support in terms of fuel, maintenance and ammo. In practice that is nearly impossible to accomplish. Each sortie might easily need 15,000 lbs of resupply. It makes for nice news stories but is of little practical use. The same applies to forward basing VSTOL aircraft. Resuppply becomes the critical issue.

The problem with operating fighters from roads or other austere sights is you have to provide support in terms of fuel, maintenance and ammo. In practice that is nearly impossible to accomplish. Each sortie might easily need 15,000 lbs of resupply. It makes for nice news stories but is of little practical use. The same applies to forward basing VSTOL aircraft. Resuppply becomes the critical issue.

Supply is ALWAYS the issue.

"I don't know what the hell this 'logistics' is that Marshall is always talking about, but I want some of it."Admiral E. J. King

Cheers

And occasionally they take out an innocent road sign.

Last edited:
And some places in Switzerland where it's not just emergency use.

This is exactly what the Army Aviation does well in theory and practice…The forward rearm and refuel process is critical to the Army mission but not part of the other branches critical infrastructure. A dedicated III/V platoon is the largest sub unit within an Attack Battalion with Fuel and Ammo Haulers plus all the necessary equipment to set up in a field location. When properly equipped they can run five rearm and separate refuel points augmented by the Armament technicians found in the maintenance company. A good unit can break down and jump the FARP in a couple of hours…

Sometimes it would help if the thread titles were more descriptive, as this one actually is.

But wouldn’t that detract from the “look at me, Dad” factor of creating excessively useless duplicate threads? How else is Little Jimmy supposed to garner attention? Life’s not fair!

I haven't been able to find ANY threads on it at all.

None.

None, whatsoever.

Haven’t heard, what’s it about?

Ah, Ohioans. You never fail to live down to expectations. :)

You missed 3 others by the way - and the sarcasm.

Though I never served, the A-10 Warthog holds a special place in my heart.

A classic word lost with the younger generation.
Classical southern slang, "cooter" referred to a water turtle.At least in Louisiana it did.
Today the word has not been lost by "the younger generation", just inappropriately re-appropriated.

Though I never served, the A-10 Warthog holds a special place in my heart.

Classical southern slang, "cooter" referred to a water turtle.At least in Louisiana it did.
Today the word has not been lost by "the younger generation", just inappropriately re-appropriated.
Yeah. I still wanna know how he earned the ‘call sign.

Back