Military GPS Testing around OAK?

This happens in New Mexico all the time.

Other ways to navigate besides GPS. No big deal.

This happens in New Mexico all the time.

Other ways to navigate besides GPS. No big deal.
Does the 50-foot AGL area of the New Mexico ones incorporate a major metropolitan area in your experience? That's what I haven't seen around here before, and the VOR/DME approach to my home field (PAO) can be hard to get because of conflicts with airline traffic at SJC.

Fortunately, I'm not expecting to need to fly IFR during that time period, and the NOTAM lets me know that I will need to plan accordingly for my VFR flight on Monday.

I'm used to seeing this done in places like the Nevada desert where there's not much air traffic. I've been through these areas before and the GPS receiver simply loses the signal. I'm wondering what objections the FAA may have raised when they wanted to do this in congested airspace. Or did the FAA even have a say in the matter?

Was surprised to see Concord Ca for GPS interference testing. Always remember to tell ATC "Stop Buzzer" if the interference is jeopardizing air safety. My opinion they picked October as we have clear Skys and VRF nav is pretty easy. Looks of landmarks and a local VOR.

Does the 50-foot AGL area of the New Mexico ones incorporate a major metropolitan area in your experience?

Good question. I know if it happens in day VFR conditions and I am on my way to Las Cruces I just duck down below the tops of the mountains and I get GPS signal again.

The jamming comes from White Sands Missile Range restricted area, so probably the biggest and nearest community would be Roswell and Las Cruces and I doubt that the jamming would be a problem below 50 AGL.

Back