Military, ex-military pilots here?

Display Name

Display name:
Threefingeredjack
I've seen a few posts here from members that appear to be either active duty or ex-military aviators. If you are,drop me a line it'd be fun to meet other pilots who learned for "free" (yeah, I actually had a guy tell me I had learned to fly "for free") :rolleyes2:

Not really what you're looking for; I'm Air Force active but pilot on the outside. However the new GI Bill covers 100%.

Not really what you're looking for; I'm Air Force active but pilot on the outside. However the new GI Bill covers 100%.

Yeah the new GI Bill goes a ways toward being equitable. You have piqued my interest with Food Flight however. If you could send me a PM describing the concept I would appreciate it.

My free training came from the USN in the mid 70's. T34b, T28c, S2a, P3c and finally T34c.

My free training came from the USN in the mid 70's. T34b, T28c, S2a, P3c and finally T34c.

I'm guessing, (hoping ), your second round in the T34 was instructing....and not remedial!!!
:D

I was USCG, so I too spent some time in Pensacola, (you may have been one of those persecuting us minorities),starting in 1973. Flew rotors and fixed wing.

ROTC flight training program in the mid 60's then US Army Helicopter school and then GI Bill for advanced ratings. ATP MEL and Helicopter CFII and MEL. Finished up in the late 70's.

I paid for it with 6 years of Military Service.

IMG_0001.jpg

Like Food Flight I'm active (Navy), but a black shoe (Surface Warfare). I do my flying on the outside.

BN and WSO in Intruders, ReccePhantoms, and Aardvarks. Fly low, fly fast, and who cares if you can't see where you're going.:eek:

BN and WSO in Intruders, ReccePhantoms, and Aardvarks. Fly low, fly fast, and who cares if you can't see where you're going.:eek:

The focus of most of my experience was trying to see something, however getting to a position where you could actually see what you were looking for was, at times, very interesting. :hairraise:

Just finished 12 years on active duty flying F-15C's. Now I'm in the ANG full time, still in the Eagle.

The focus of most of my experience was trying to see something, however getting to a position where you could actually see what you were looking for was, at times, very interesting. :hairraise:
On the recce side, we did have to get to where the optical cameras could see what we wanted to see (no SLR on our birds) but in the A-6 and F-111 we were happy to bomb by radar alone, and kind of preferred it that way, because if we couldn't see them, they couldn't see us.:wink2:

Naval patrol aviator 1973-5. But the training wasn't "free". I only thought it was at the time.

On the recce side, we did have to get to where the optical cameras could see what we wanted to see (no SLR on our birds) but in the A-6 and F-111 we were happy to bomb by radar alone, and kind of preferred it that way, because if we couldn't see them, they couldn't see us.:wink2:

I understand completely, but our customers WANTED to be seen!! :lol:

Flight Tech/Intercept Controller on the E-2 Hawkeye so all my military flight time was (officially logged as) aircrew, and all my pilot time is civilian. Got my flight training started with Navy Memphis Flying Club in '77 .

Flight Tech/Intercept Controller on the E-2 Hawkeye so all my military flight time was (officially logged as) aircrew, and all my pilot time is civilian. Got my flight training started with Navy Memphis Flying Club in '77 .

So you have actual training in telling pilots where to go??? My wife is an amateur, and self taught, but in a class of her own.

Army Aviator from 1985 - 1995. Flew both the UH-1H and the CH-47D. I thought the training was free away the time, and I wouldn't trade the experience for anything in the world. Now that I look back at it, the military is definitely a young man's game. I did get a FAA Commercial certificate with an Instrument rating in Rotorcraft - Helicopter when I got out of flight school.

I haven't flown much at all since 1995. Family and career priorities took priority. I turned 50 last year. My daughter is just about to graduate college. Finances are finally under control, although my wife has been laid off for a year. Last year I went up to Chilhowee Gliderport in Benton, Tn and flew a 2-32 with the owner, Sarah Kelley Arnold, and I had a blast!

Yesterday, my wife (who has adamantly been opposed to anything to do with flying) told me to go and fly. She is a little concerned about the all work and no play thing. So - I think I will!

Now - time to come up with a plan!

So you have actual training in telling pilots where to go??? My wife is an amateur, and self taught, but in a class of her own.

Yep. I described that my job was just like ATC except I put them together instead of keeping them apart.

In the middle of "free" training right now! I can assure you it is anything but that,haha..

Should be getting AF wings at the end of June.

Best,

USAF Retired, B-52G and B-1B Master Navigator Bombardier, Offensive Systems Officer. 1983-2003.

GA flying since 1974.

12 1/2 years active duty USAF. OTS at Medina '86'. Flew the T-37 and T-38 in UPT at KREE '86-'87. Trained on the B-52G at CCTS at Castle in '87. Flew the B-52G as MC / MP, B-52H as IP/EP and T-37 as FP at KBAD '88-'96. 1000+ nm hand flown low levels (we don't need no stinking autopilot). Flyin low, droppin lots of bombs and breakin things. Best job in AF. Then flew the T-34C as IP at Joint Undergraduate Navigator Training at KNPA '96-'98. Best job and base in Air Training Command.

I met and worked with some of the greatest people this country has to offer. Made some truly lifelong friends. Can't say I enjoyed every minute of my career, but would go back and do it again in a heartbeat.

I met and worked with some of the greatest people this country has to offer. Made some truly lifelong friends. Can't say I enjoyed every minute of my career, but would go back and do it again in a heartbeat.

I think anyone who spent time in the service can say that. I know for a fact there are those who would travel at the drop of a hat to help me if I asked, and for whom I would do the same. Those who haven't been fortunate enough to experience this will never understand.

Wow, the whole gambit! From F15's to CH47's to B52's and even the B1-B and everything in between!

I'm curious...(if you are allowed)...especially the B52 and B1B guys...what was your longest duration mission? Was it as hard as it sounds, or was the moment enough to keep you excited, alert, and on your game?

(My grandfather flew B17's over Europe and B29's over Korea. His stories usually began "...it was so darned cold...")

I logged 12.6 hours on one mission during Desert Storm. 7 stops in hot refuel. Longest without landing was just over 9 hours in a chinook testing new internal bladders. We flew laps between the FAY and SAV VORs and were bored to tears.

I've had two flights in the Eagle that we're over 13 hours. Add an hour (min) before and 30 after. That was a LONG time in the seat!!!!

All you folks flying those long fighter missions can thank the 20th TFW and Operation Ghostrider in October 1985. To prove such missions could be accomplished, we took off from England, bombed Canada, and landed our F-111's in England over 11 hours later. I was in the KC-10 command ship as the inflight mission planner along with the Wing Commander, a Stan/Eval guy in case problems arose, and a flight surgeon to monitor crew responses for amphetamine psychosis in case anyone decided they needed to take their "go" pills on the way home.

The mission was kept classified until April 15, 1986 -- even the tanker crews didn't know what was going on. The westbound tankers thought it was a deployment to the States for an exercise, and the eastbound tankers (different bunch) thought it was a redeployment back to the UK. And the westbound tankers were told not to see, no less breathe a word of, the bombs on the wings. The only tanker that made the round trip was that KC-10 with the tanker force commander aboard along with our command team, and that crew was sworn to secrecy.

Last edited:
All you folks flying those long fighter missions can thank the 20th TFW and Operation Ghostrider in October 1985. To prove such missions could be accomplished, we took off from England, bombed Canada, and landed our F-111's in England over 11 hours later.

BOMBED CANADA????!! WHY??? I LOVE their bacon!!

Old Records are hard to beat.
http://p2vneptune.com/turtle.shtml

Columbus, Ohio. The date was October 1st, and they'd been in the air for two and a half days, covering 11,236.6 miles in fifty-five hours, eighteen minutes. The Turtle’s distance record would stand for sixteen years, until January 10th, 1962 when a Strategic Air Command B-52H flew 12,519 miles nonstop and un-refueled from Kadena Air Base, Okinawa to Madrid, Spain in 21 hours and 52 minutes. However, the Turtle’s record still stands as a Class C, Group I (Airplanes with piston engines) record and it is unlikely that it will ever be broken.

And of course this article was written before Rutan flew around the world un-refueled.

Last edited:
Army Rotary Wing school (class of '71 Yellow Hat) with a free tour in RVN afterward to see the orient for the second time <g>. Got my fixed wing ratings on Christmas break and at night after a Cobra transition training. First tour was on the ground in Special Forces, second was mostly on the ground (infantry company commander), but flew air cav the last four months as ground units were withdrawn.

What Bruce said about it not being free +1.

Flew in the NC National Guard for a few years (OH-58s) and was in the reserves a couple years.

Best,

Dave

Dave,

You are the MAN. Thank you and everyone else here for their heroic service. I am in AWE.

My longest B-52G flight was about 16 hours on an ORI. Operational Readiness Inspection, multiple air refuelings with 100,000 lb onload each. Two low level routes.

Another long Buff flight during a Global Power mission. 21 ship mito from KBAD, refuel over the Gulf of Mexico, Snowtime exercise (3 ship) on McDill, back into the Gulf and another Snowtime run on Eglin FL. Still a 3 ship formation to another air refuel in OK, working west to enter low level in NM headed for the Nevada Red Flag range. Live. Weapons drop and then Celestial Navigation back to KBAB.

Longest B-1B flight, about 10-12 hours. Departed KRDR north to Canada, refuel north of Winnipeg, across Hudson Bay to the old Dew Line and turn east. In the channel between Canada and Greenland SW bound for the Canadian Air Forces to run "Bear" intercept training, around To the Gulf of Maine and entered IR27 in Maine to hit the Ashland RBS, early low level exit into central Maine and cruise back to KRDR.

My timing in both aircraft, I did not see any combat time. The Bone was NUC only during DS1, by the time DS2 started I was senior aircrew and in the Test community putting new weapons on the Bone and working system improvements training the younger crews to take into combat and come back home. Now retired I still work in the same area supporting all USAF, Navy, Marine and Coalition Air Forces, to bring them back safe.

Last edited:
BOMBED CANADA????!! WHY??? I LOVE their bacon!!

Sounds like the Cold Lake range.

I crossed Minot ND headed low level north with the B-52G SRAM computer headed for Mexico. We shut it off and went DR north, then west, the south. "Pilot, it's about time to turn south." "yea, that's about where lead turned, but I don't know where 2 is" we were 3 in line with what was supposed to be 2min in trail spacing. We started the turn just as #2 came out of the north and passed underneath us, mmmm. We hit Cold Lake from the North, exited low level and rejoined the 3 ship formation to cross back into US airspace and cruise home to KBAD.

All of our fixed wing missions were of a pretty similar profile: Transit at altitude then descent to whatever search altitude fit the weather and sea state, usually between 3500 and 2000 ASL. Letting down through weather looking for the sea was always a thrill, but one nice thing about low level over the ocean, no obstacles in the way if you had to put it down......except in Alaska when 30+ foot swells would have really ruined your day. Helo ops off a cutter were always tricky, the widest deck, (on 378s) , was 40 feet. Unlike Navy DDs we had no winch down option, you flew to the deck, and on lively days it was very interesting. Of all the equipment I got a chance to fly, the HH3F and HC-130 were my favorites.

12 1/2 years active duty USAF. OTS at Medina '86'. Flew the T-37 and T-38 in UPT at KREE '86-'87. Trained on the B-52G at CCTS at Castle in '87. Flew the B-52G as MC / MP, B-52H as IP/EP and T-37 as FP at KBAD '88-'96. 1000+ nm hand flown low levels (we don't need no stinking autopilot). Flyin low, droppin lots of bombs and breakin things. Best job in AF. Then flew the T-34C as IP at Joint Undergraduate Navigator Training at KNPA '96-'98. Best job and base in Air Training Command.

OTS, Medina in '83, UNT, T-37 and T-43 at Mather, Castle for Buff Qual then 596BMS, KBAD. Dyess for B1 Qual in '87 then off the KRDR initial cadre. We were going to Plant 42 and bringing brand new Bones to El Forko Grande (KRDR). 99th Test Wing at Ellsworth SD under SAC, then ACC from '91-'95, then Nellis 57th WG, in variuos positions to retirement. Still around LAS.

.....l then 596BMS, KBAD. .....
Cool!! I was in the 596th from March '88 til they stood it and the 62nd down and stood up the 96th and 20th BMS's in their place in "92. Three of the four original squadrons of 2 BMW were now back. The fourth squadron though not assigned to 2 BMW was stationed at KBAD as the 49th Test Squadron. It was soon after that the tankers left and the politically correct 2 Wing designation changed back to the 2nd By God BOMB Wing. Good duty but too many Field grade officers hanging around because of 8th AF.

Back