Military charts

Mc Fly

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Sean
Does the military use different air charts that ours? If so , what's the difference? Can you get them?

If you're using NACO approach, high and low enroute and VFR sectionals, then you are using the same as the military. Approaches that are categorized as a HI (as in high altitude penetration arc) approaches are not part of the standard issue SIAP book.

when I was testing flight displays on army helicopters at Rockwell Collins, the data we displayed on the chart overlay was the same as used for our charts.

They also use tactical maps (what the grunts use) as well as aviation maps, especially for Assault support and Close Air Support. That allows the aviators to navigate to grid coordinates (or drop bombs on grid coordinates) supplied by the ground guys.

Those maps are similar to topo maps, 1:50,000 with 1,000 meter Mercator grid information superimposed. In some applications maps have been replaced with enhanced overhead imagery, think "Google Earth" with the roads and other man-made features identified.

Jay

For IFR charts, their enroute charts are the same, but their approach books contain only the approaches to airports approved for military use by the services. Also, their equivalent of the A/FD (the "FLIP Enroute Supplement") is narrower in scope (only military use fields) and includes a bunch of military information that the A/FD lacks and drops some information they don't need.

For visual navigation, they use something equivalent to sectionals and WAC's called TPC's and ONC's, with less information on things like CTAF's and the like at fields they don't use.

For visual navigation, they use something equivalent to sectionals and WAC's called TPC's and ONC's, with less information on things like CTAF's and the like at fields they don't use.

All I can get from the VP-Squadrons are the JNCs and WACs

All I can get from the VP-Squadrons are the JNCs and WACs
When in the Navy, my barracks room had one wall with two sections of a chart for the whole US. I believe those were JNC's. Those along with many pictures of airplanes and a couple models... and a very well polished floor, got us an outstanding every week during inspections. Of course, it helped the inspecting officers were also pilots. :D

Back