Military Aircraft or Something Else?

FlyingTiger

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
FlyingTiger
Several years ago I was driving (not flying) to the New Jersey shore for our annual family vacation. All of the house rentals start and end on Saturdays, and when you combine that with people heading to the shore for the weekend, Saturday is a major traffic headache. I have never done well in gridlock (let the expletives fly) so decided to drive down on Friday night and stay in a hotel near town.

We were traveling on the Garden State Parkway and I estimate the time was somewhere between 10:00 and 11:00 pm when a V Shaped object passed from our right to left across the highway at tree top level about 500-600 yards in front of us. It had the wingspan of a large commercial or military aircraft but made no sound and was probable only traveling 75-100 kts. I confirmed that my wife saw it as well and I know people in front of me also saw it also because of all the brake lights.

My initial thought was that is was most likely military, possibly some type of large drone. My only real question was whether it was out in the public or was it still top secret. I planned on looking into it further, but in the end I just forgot about it in the excitement of starting our vacation. In other words, it did not have any profound effect on me and I didn't start making sculptures from mash potatoes.

It wasn't until recently that I started to revisit this encounter. Between the Navy acknowledgement of the existence of UAPs (formerly UFOs) and the excellent documentary on UFOs by Netflix, I realized perhaps, just perhaps this was not military. As it turns out, this type of craft has been seen many, many times with sightings dating back to at least 1983 where it was called the boomerang.

I eventually found an image of what I saw (see below) which is very similar to those that were published right after the Phoenix lights event. I had been aware of the Phoenix lights, but the only thing I remembered was the video of lights over the city, and didn't see those photos until just recently. See link.

File:phoenixLights1997model.jpg

v-shaped-ufo-3d-model-low-poly-obj-fbx-stl-blend-mtl.png

I still lean toward military over little green men but what I wonder is how this thing has not been disclosed by now after being in operation for at least 35 years?

Last edited:
What you saw was a V-shaped formation of geese.

Or someone will be knocking at your door soon.

Are we clear on this?

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

In reality, you might have seen a B-2 Stealth. I've since a few flyovers of the B-2, and it is quiet, and appears to be going much slower than it is, because it is big (and would be farther away than you thought it was).

Or it was just the chemicals in the air in New Jersey messing with your brain.

"Oh hell no! I don't believe in UFOs!"

"What is that thing in the sky over there?"

"Hmm, not sure. Can't tell, really."

"Hah!"

Back