Milestone

DavidWhite

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
DW
As of today, I have owned an airplane for 1 year. I have flown it more than 260 hours, and almost 30,000 miles. In the last year, I became a Private Pilot, got my Instrument Rating, and made countless amounts of friends along the way. I can't think of any other group of folks that could have made it a more enjoyable experience - So to all my PoA friends - I don't know if I could have done it without your help and support. In fact, I know I couldnt have. I couldn't ask for a better group of friends. (I wouldnt be able to find one, either.)

224263_1726782369872_1247804014_31456298_5853071_n.jpg

Boy, I sure do look alot different now than I did then.

Last edited:
WOW that's a lot of flying in one year!

That's a lot of flying, especially at the private level. Lots of commitment to your training and to your ownership of that aircraft.

A well-utilized aircraft tends to cost less to maintain and tends to be a healthier aircraft than one which sits.

Congrats!! Glad I got to be a teeny part of that recently...

Congratulations David. I'm slightly over a month and 140 hours or so behind you. I officially bought Miss Piggy last May 19th and I've flown her about 120 hours. I got my PPL, tailwheel endorsement and working on IR.

I too wish to thank POA members for all the help.

Please keep us posted David!

That's a lot of hours in such a short amount of time. If I could do it again, I think the only thing I would change about being a pilot is that I would have pursued it from a much younger age, so I'm envious of you. Keep up the good work; you've been a great ambassador for GA.

That's a lot of flying, especially at the private level. Lots of commitment to your training and to your ownership of that aircraft.

A well-utilized aircraft tends to cost less to maintain and tends to be a healthier aircraft than one which sits.

The plane looks nice enough in the pictures, but when you get close-up...

..it's even nicer!

---

David, your choices are good ones, and you are going to be an effective mentor for a lot of prospective pilots, I think., I'm glad to know you, and I appreciate your contributions here.

I have 20.8 hours in the Cardinal now. If you extrapolate the rate of flying since acquiring the aircraft that comes out to 190 hours annualized. And I have been flying pretty regularly, although lately it has been more local flights because I've been busy. So I am quite impressed at 260 hours in a year. How much of that time was getting your instrument rating? I'll probably be starting into mine seriously soon.

I'm jealous of your ability to fly this much - work takes up too much of my time. I'm looking forward to the daylight getting a bit later so I can do some nice sunset flights after work!

Congratulations Airman. You are obviously becoming an outstanding pilot.

Last edited:
You're hooked well. You will find there is no more rewarding way to spend time with friends and family than messing around with airplanes.

in the USA: (approx)
850,000 Lawyers
650,000 Physicians/Surgeons
600,000 Pilots
200,000 Private pilots
??? current and active
It's a small club, filled with outstanding people!

Congrats David!

What's the next step in your goal/progression? You've definitely shown dedication and commitment.

Actually there's been 1.5 million law degrees handed out. About 1.2 million lawyers, and less than 800,000 employed as lawyers.

At least according to this:

http://lawschooltuitionbubble.wordpress.com/original-research-updated/lawyers-per-capita-by-state/

Fun stats.

It looks like if you want to move somewhere there are very few lawyers per capita, the usual population density rules apply EXCEPT for right here in Colorado. We're swimming in them for our size. Dark green blob in the middle of all that light green on the map.

Worse, they're actually employed. Further down the page. Not "idle". :)

So David, since you are young, enthusiastic and competent, what is your long term Aviation goal?

BTW, I have an Army buddy in New Braunfels and I am trying to catch a good weekend for flying down there to see him. It is 253NM from my home field to KBAZ, so I'm hoping to knock out this flight and use it for my Commercial long XC.

If I make it down there, could I meet up and buy you a cup of coffee?

Last edited:
Congratulations! I've flown almost as much as you since I bought my airplane, but it's been two years for me not one (will be 2 years exactly next Monday, in fact).

I don't have my IR yet, either. :(

Way to go, David!

I compare you to my son, Joe, who also got his Private at age 17. He flew a lot that year, even flying into OSH in our '48 Ercoupe -- and then he started Army ROTC.

He's 21 now. Between college, the Army, the National Guard, a job, a girlfriend, his dogs...he isn't even current, and doesn't have a medical anymore.

My advice: Enjoy the freedom while you can. Life can throw all sorts of things at you that makes flying difficult or impossible.

Back