Miles per dollar

Tmpendergrass

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Tmpendergrass
I am in a flying club with a 172N. We pay a wet rate to to the club of $99 per tach hour. I'm trying to calculate what the ideal Cruising speed/power setting is to get the most nautical miles per tach hour.

I know max range is achieved at max lift/drag (vg) which in this case would be 65kts indicated. But is it the same with tach time.

Any insight would be appreciated on how to calculate this.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheapest option : drive.
Funnest option : set a budget and go flying..

Full rental power.

Yup.

Once you buy your own plane and start paying maintenance and fuel, that tactic will change - but if you're renting wet, full rental power is the only option that makes sense.

Nothing flies like a rental :D

I am in a flying club with a 172N. We pay a wet rate to to the club of $99 per tach hour. I'm trying to calculate what the ideal Cruising speed/power setting is to get the most nautical miles per tach hour.

I know max range is achieved at max lift/drag (vg) which in this case would be 65kts indicated. But is it the same with tach time.

Cheers

You will have to break out the POH, and find out what your RPM is calibrated to for 1:1 tach time. Then you can run scenarios at 75, 65, 55 and 45% power and get back to us.

After all of that, you will decide whether you want to run it at 65 % or 75% power.

Then you will realize you want to go fast, and you will always run it at 75% power anyway and be wondering what you can find that is faster...

Cheers

Per hour, tach or Hobbs, it's going to be WFO. If you are renting wet at high rates, full forward leaned to 150°ROP and let her roll. If you are renting the cheapest plane in the area wet, WFO leaned 5°-15°LOP.

If you are renting dry, you want to slow to 1.3 LD Max/Vbg for best range, modified for headwind. L/D Max will give you best endurance, better for time building, but not traveling. If you are paying tach time, you want to be WOT, lean back 5° LOP and then reduce throttle to get your speed. With a CS prop you would lean, then pull back the prop to that speed, or as far back as you can, either limited by the bottom of the green RPM arc, or the engine shaking, groaning, and complaining. From there you keep leaning until you hit speed or the engine won't run right, and that should have you traveling pretty damn cheap.

Personally my time was more valuable to me, so I never travelled that slow, I wanted a 180kt cruise, so I did it mostly by leaning, but for a long run I'd pull them back to 2450 and keep her up on the pipe about 10°LOP, she was very smooth and running easy with a solid throat. If I was going above 10,000' I'd start adding RPM to keep my speed. The IO-470-D has no qualms with turning 2675 all day. My direct cost of operations including hangar rent and insurance was 97¢ a mile. Capital worked out pretty square and I did not figure in known catch up maint costs incurred.

Last edited:
Like I said in the OP, this is a tach rate. If I was paying Hobbs I'd be WOT all the time :D

Like I said in the OP, this is a tach rate. If I was paying Hobbs I'd be WOT all the time :D

Well, it depends on which prop you have, you'll likely have to experiment, but it probably won't be far off WFO.

I believe the tach hour meter is driven off of oil pressure, so it only registers time when above idle at some preset RPM, and that RPM is well below anything that will keep you airborne. So, all the smart ass answers should still be correct.

WOT chock to chock! :)

Full throttle?

"Drive it like a rented mule"

Wet,throttle to the wall.

Full rental power.

Nothing flies like a rental :D

Yup.

Once you buy your own plane and start paying maintenance and fuel, that tactic will change - but if you're renting wet, full rental power is the only option that makes sense.

Guys... Reading comprehension, seriously! A) It's not a rental, B) it's TACH time.

I believe the tach hour meter is driven off of oil pressure, so it only registers time when above idle at some preset RPM, and that RPM is well below anything that will keep you airborne. So, all the smart ass answers should still be correct.

Depends on the tach... But there are no tachs that I know of that are driven off oil pressure. Most Hobbs meters are driven off an oil pressure switch, but not tachs.

Also, if you're in an equity club - Fly it like you own it, because you do. If you fly at "full rental power" your club will incur higher fuel and maintenance costs, and rates will need to increase. If everyone is nice to their planes, rates can remain the same for longer or in some cases, even go down.

First of all, congrats! Club flying is an excellent way to fly nice planes for less money (compared to renting) and for WAY less money than owning.

Second - As I mentioned above, it depends on the tach:

1) If you have a Horizon P-1000 digital tach - Fuhgeddaboutit, it's almost as bad as a Hobbs. In fact, it'll usually be equal to a Hobbs, the only time it *might* not be counting time is if you're at the lowest possible idle setting on the ground, but it's likely counting most of that time as well. Once you're up to maybe 800 RPM, it functions pretty much like a Hobbs, and sadly that means that the short-term cost per mile will be lowest with full rental power as everyone says.

2) If you have another digital tach such as the popular EI ones, they generally count time 1-to-1 above a certain RPM such that they won't count ground time at all but they'll count all time at any power setting that'll sustain flight just like a Hobbs. Better than the Horizon because you don't have to feel rushed on the ground, but still unfortunately encourages full rental power. However, again, if you and other club members abuse it, your rates will have to go up to cover increased maintenance, so please be nice to your airplane!

3) If you have the original mechanical tach, lower power settings = less time, on a fairly proportional basis. Flying around at Vg is probably not the answer, but the best (and most fun!) way to figure this out is to just go out in YOUR plane and fly it! Climb up to a normal cruising altitude (probably 4500-5500), take note of conditions (temp, etc) so you can calculate true airspeed, and then set up in stable straight-and-level flight at 2400 RPM, wait for speed to stabilize and mark it down, then reduce to 2300, wait for speed to stabilize and mark it down, down to maybe 1700-1800 RPM at which point you might be down to Vg. Then, raise it 100 RPM at a time and mark the speeds down again, just in case you didn't wait long enough for speed to truly stabilize! After the flight, you should be able to calculate true airspeed for each power setting as well as cost per air mile. If you plot it, you'll likely see that it's shaped like a curve and that flying as low as Vg might cost the least, but you might be able to fly significantly faster for not much more money per mile.

Armed with that knowledge, you can choose the power setting that strikes the right balance for you. Be aware that on each particular flight, a headwind will result in a higher power setting to get the optimum cost per mile, while a tailwind will result in a lower power setting. If this doesn't make sense, think of it like this: If your optimum cost per mile is at your Vg of 65 knots, and you're going on a $100 burger flight straight into a headwind of 50 knots, your groundspeed would be only 15 knots at your "optimum" power setting, but setting it a couple hundred RPM higher would likely double your groundspeed and thus halve the amount of time spent in that headwind. The opposite happens on the return flight - As long as you're at or slightly above Vg, you'll be feeling the benefit of the tailwind for the most time possible.

Hope this helps! :)

Thanks cheesehead. We have the original tach so no need for rental power. I'm going to go do some testing with another club member.

That oil pressure switch closes at about 5 PSI, so it will run the Hobbes anytime the engine is running, idle or otherwise.

Dan

Back