Mike's Flying Service for Multi Rating?

kurtsnyder

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Mooney_Pilot
I'm about to get my multi add on and found Mike's flying service down in Terrell, TX. He seems to have reasonable rates and seems like a nice guy over the phone. My only concern is him telling me the examiner is in his 80's and is a retired FAA inspector. He said that the flight portion of the checkride lasts about 1.5 hours since the old guy is very thorough. Makes me nervous that the guy gives rides that last twice as long as most examiners.

Anyway, has anybody used Mike for their multi?

Last edited:
Mine was 0.9 and frankly it felt very fast. I don't think 1.5 is too horrible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mine was 1.2. It was a good thorough check ride and that was just procedures/maneuvers. No lolly gagging and we never went further than 20 miles from the departure airport.

I'm about to get my multi add on and found Mike's flying service down in Terrell, TX. He seems to have reasonable rates and seems like a nice guy over the phone. My only concern is him telling me the examiner is in his 80's and is a retired FAA inspector. He said that the flight portion of the checkride lasts about 1.5 hours since the old guy is very thorough. Makes me nervous that the guy gives rides that last twice as long as most examiners.

Anyway, has anybody used Mike for their multi?

I would not worry in the slightest. My initial multi took over 2 hours and 2 flights due to weather. Flying with Betty Faux for 2 hrs was a hell of an education. I have no worries about any examiner's history with the FAA, I just did a ride with a current FAA examiner, nice guy, thoroughly professional, wanted to make it work. 45 minutes for a ME ride is kinda short IMO anyway. What airplanes are they using?

I would not worry in the slightest. My initial multi took over 2 hours and 2 flights due to weather. Flying with Betty Faux for 2 hrs was a hell of an education. I have no worries about any examiner's history with the FAA, I just did a ride with a current FAA examiner, nice guy, thoroughly professional, wanted to make it work. 45 minutes for a ME ride is kinda short IMO anyway. What airplanes are they using?

OK, thanks everyone for the response. That makes me feel much better.

They use an Apache. It has a nice updated panel with a 430. Seems like a nice little outfit. Beats the hell out of paying $310 an hour for a Seneca plus instructor.

Im going to see Tom B in 2 weeks. I can report back with my findings if you are curious about his operation. $1795 I think was the quote.

Kurt... If you come to Terrell, ping some of us DFW folk. We ain't that far away and would do our best to keep you entertained and amused for a spell.

Anyone know if MFS is still training students? I've tried to make contact with him though email and have gotten absolutely no response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone know if MFS is still training students? I've tried to make contact with him though email and have gotten absolutely no response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last post on Facebook was Sept 29 this year. Id say yes. Try contact through facebook or call.

Back