Migraines

A

anonymous

I was diagnosed with migraines (normal, not ocular or complicated) almost a year ago, and was prescribed Amitryptiline Hydrochloride to treat them. After being on the medicine for 2.5 months, I no longer suffer from migraine. I have a note from my doctor saying I was successfully treated and have been off the medication for 90 days with no side effects.

Is this sufficient enough for a 3rd class medical, or is there a chance of deferral? Should I schedule an off the record appointment with an AME first before submitting the medex form?

Should I schedule an off the record appointment with an AME first before submitting the medex form?
Always a good idea when you "don't know what you don't know" about the FAA medical system.

This post may help you arrange the consultation ... https://tinyurl.com/ame-consult

There are likely additional items to be gathered before you submit your application to the FAA. And the right AME (emphasis on the right one, not "any") can advise you on what to obtain.

The right AME can Also work with the doctor treating your migraines to ensure his status letter has all of the bullet points the FAA wants to see. Missing items can cause significant delays. Additional unnecessary items or the wrong choice of wording can open bad cans of worms.

My SGOTI opinion is that you need to find out all you can on how your migraine situation affects your level of successful submission before you do a live third class medical exam.

Last edited:
There are likely additional items to be gathered before you submit your application to the FAA. And the right AME (emphasis on the right one, not "any") can advise you on what to obtain.

How can I find the right AME'?

How can I find the right AME'?

Let us know your location and someone may have a suggestion. Also ask on the various Facebook Aviation groups for your region.

And the following might be of help.

Definition of a Good AME:
  1. Is a pilot himself (therefore understands the pilot's side challenges of obtaining an FAA medical.
  2. Isn't an AME just because it sounds cool to have the additional accreditation on his shingle.
  3. Is a Senior Difficult Case AME (with a closet full of BTDT T-shirts) who will be a true advocate for his airmen (advocate equals someone who will continue to push the process to success even if the application gets snarled in channels). (Non-advocate is the AME who just gives you a blank look while saying, "I examined you and forwarded your paperwork to the FAA. That is all I was supposed to do, right?")
  4. Has the OKC Offices on speed dial
  5. Knows the all of the Senior examiners (the 5 or 6 top Docs) by first name.
  6. Prefers to take charge and issue the more challenging certificates "in office" rather than defer and let someone else "deal with it".
  7. Is not afraid to use said speed dial to reach out to said senior examiner and obtain permission or additional information to complete the said "in office" issuance.
If after all of that, you are still at a loss to find the right AME, Dr. Bruce Chien of Bolingbrook, IL (about an hour SW of Chicago) is definitely worth the cost of airfare.

For my initial 3rd Class, I admitted my 30yr history of Cluster Headaches (most people would include this amongst migraines, although somewhat different), explained in my own terms (I am a physician) their manifestations and effects on my performance. I was/am on no long term treatment, they only occur in clusters.
My case was referred to the Atlanta FAA office (never went to Oklahoma City - I’m told that’s a good thing) where the Medical Director there requested a letter from my Neurologist and a repeat MRI of the head. After a few weeks of waiting received my 3rd Class without SI.
Apparently if your AME can keep things out of Ok City, you’re much better off.
Good luck w your medical, and with your cephalgia.

Amitryptiline is an antidepressant. I'm not an AME but my understanding is that could be problematic. The issue is the underlying diagnosis. Did the doctor code you for migraines or did he code you for depression? And so on. One of the good AMEs on this board will hopefully be along soon to clarify.

As for migraines, I was issued with a remote history of migraines that even had the ocular symptoms. But they were years back and I had interim many years migraine free.

Migraine is a diagnosis that is specific, some people call any severe headache without demonstrable cause a "migraine". If it was actually a "tension" headache (implication somatization) the doctor might have given you an antidepressant because he suspected a psychological cause.

I think the important thing is what is actually in your medical record? I would definitely consult "off the record" before submitting the form! Best of luck.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back