Might be time for someone to hang it up…

Country Flier

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
CFL
First he repeats back “join 5 mile final” but then says he was never told that…then he turns the wrong way to join final, lands on a closed taxiway, says on the air he's looking for the taxiway he landed on, has to be repeatedly told to stop, and blames others and confusion…I’d say it’s time for the rv pilot to hang it up.

Last edited:
We have an 83 year old pilot at the field. I keep an eye on him but so far he seems to still be getting it done ... :)

Our local AME flew his Bonanza into his 90s. He was still OK in the air but he finally hung it up after a couple of taxiing accidents resulting in minor damage, died a couple of years later.

A fast RV8, at a busy controlled field, would be a handful for a number of pilots...I wonder if he could just downgrade planes and/or airports and still be manageable.

Sounds like ATC was exasperated and glad he was on the ground.

Does anyone know the particular follow-up of this event?

A fast RV8, at a busy controlled field, would be a handful for a number of pilots...I wonder if he could just downgrade planes and/or airports and still be manageable.

That’s what former Sport Pilot writer Lauren Payne did. He knew his flying skills were started to decline so he sold it. Flys something more manageable now.

Back