Midwest POA Janebruary Lunch February 3, 2024 1200 EST Rick's Boatyard KEYE

I feel like Michigan doesn’t get a lot of love in this thread. @kaiser , what was that taco place you recommended?
I've had Waco kitchen at BTL and Kitty Hawk (at the air zoo) at AZO on my list for some time.

I feel like Michigan doesn’t get a lot of love in this thread. @kaiser , what was that taco place you recommended?
The Apron at KJXN - and it's not tacos.. but breakfast tacos. The insides are either bacon/eggs or biscuits and gravy - and the wrap instead of a taco shell is a f*** pancake! It's amazing. We need to add this place on the list. or not.. i'll go anyway haha

The Apron at KJXN - and it's not tacos.. but breakfast tacos. The insides are either bacon/eggs or biscuits and gravy - and the wrap instead of a taco shell is a f*** pancake! It's amazing. We need to add this place on the list. or not.. i'll go anyway haha

1b3ae51f89c7f58cb7d0cd214089704b.jpg

Their breakfast tacos look tasty!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1b3ae51f89c7f58cb7d0cd214089704b.jpg

Their breakfast tacos look tasty!!!

I was there over the summer for lunch and it was tasty :)
Totally unhealthy, yes. But also tasty.

Plus KJXN has a PAN AM Pilot Briefing Station. So in case you were worried about not being able to get briefed before leaving, they got you covered.
(I took this photo cuz I didn't know that was ever a thing?)
1707411431477.png

So, KJXN on Feb. 10 at 11 AM EST? Who’s in?

I'm dyslexic but if you said KJNX there's a bbq restaurant on the field. food is meh but they have an upper level deck with seating that overlooks the runway which is kinda cool. I mean, if you're into planes and that sorta stuff.

With AM fog / low ceilings being an almost daily occurrence recently and the current MOS calling for it during departure time on Saturday, I'm going to say my odds of attending are currently low.
Probability will improve commensurate with the weather :)

Saturday mornings are bad for me through Rough River. For this weekend it looks like I'm airborne 5p-11p Saturday and 5p-7p Sunday. Insurance co says I need more night hours.

This group is awesome! Imma gonna take my snickers and go home now. Unless Eman is in town. Then I’m going.

I couldn’t make 12noon EST last time (mostly due to the weather and me) so no way I’d be able to make 11am EST. You sure like to challenge me haha.

I could probably do 12:30pm EST but weather dependent, I’d like solid VFR conditions.

I couldn’t make 12noon EST last time (mostly due to the weather and me) so no way I’d be able to make 11am EST. You sure like to challenge me haha.

I could probably do 12:30pm EST but weather dependent, I’d like solid VFR conditions.
I hear you. I originally typed noon EST, but breakfast stops being served at noon so that'd knock out the aforementioned tacos.

I hear you. I originally typed noon EST, but breakfast stops being served at noon so that'd knock out the aforementioned tacos.
Can we call and make a special request then?

I know this is bit west for a lot of you but I’m gonna mention the restaurant at KJEF again. They are open until 2p most days. Also have ice cream in the FBO.

Attachments

• IMG_9814.jpeg
    IMG_9814.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9815.jpeg
    IMG_9815.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9816.jpeg
    IMG_9816.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 11
I know this is bit west for a lot of you but I’m gonna mention the restaurant at KJEF again. They are open until 2p most days. Also have ice cream in the FBO.
2.5hrs one way is a bit much for me. I’d like an overnight for something like that I think

2.5hrs one way is a bit much for me. I’d like an overnight for something like that I think
Yeah understood, I run into that with some of the other trips as I think I'm one of the farthest south/west among the IL group. That and the breakfast meetups would put us getting up a really early hour by the time we get ready/drive the airport/preflight/etc plus the flight time.

Yeah understood, I run into that with some of the other trips as I think I'm one of the farthest south/west among the IL group. That and the breakfast meetups would put us getting up a really early hour by the time we get ready/drive the airport/preflight/etc plus the flight time.
It's frustrating there's not more airport restaurants near STL. You'd think there would be with that many people. The other problem is that the next POAer to your west is Ted, and then the next one after that is in like Denver.

I’m out for tomorrow due to replacing my nose seal around the crankshaft. So prop is off my engine until tomorrow night at the earliest

It's frustrating there's not more airport restaurants near STL. You'd think there would be with that many people. The other problem is that the next POAer to your west is Ted, and then the next one after that is in like Denver.
A new one opened at ALN but I've been hesitant to recommend it- we went last year and we thought it was ok but the place looked pretty rough and they have poor reviews. You can go to SUS and get a crew car and probably Uber to a bunch of places but that's sub-optimal for meetups. Of course there's a decent place at UIN but... not much of a fly-in for me unless I do a lap in the pattern. Aside from JEF our go-tos are KMVN or KMTO both of which are ~1hr from us.

I don't want to plan a meetup just for us because the way luck goes it would be a day I can't go due to weather or non-aviation concerns. Out of curiousity though is anyone interested in doing evening/dinner runs sometime especially as the days start to get longer going into summer?

A new one opened at ALN but I've been hesitant to recommend it
Yeah, I never heard great things. I thought I had heard they closed already. It's a real shame because the place that was there pre-covid was awesome.

There's one at DEC that would be pretty central. I haven't been there because there's a rumor of ramp fees and I'm a cheap pilot. I guess I need to take one for the team and scout it out.

is anyone interested in doing evening/dinner runs sometime
I'm certainly not against it. I'm more of morning person, and the original idea was to go early so it didn't take up the whole day, but it's hard to ask people to get up, go to the airport, drag the plane out, and fly an hour all before breakfast.

I’m out for tomorrow due to replacing my nose seal around the crankshaft. So prop is off my engine until tomorrow night at the earliest
Uh-oh...thought you did that last weekend?

A few years ago I flew my BFR to KCPS and my CFI and I grabbed a crew car to a close BBQ place. Nice weather and picnic benches outside. Obviously not on the field.

I’m not going to wake up early enough for tomorrow. Next time.

9d334b3986c0488f9c2409e57252d555.jpg

I’m going to be heading up to OshKosh on a Pilots n Paws mission Saturday morning.

Anyone want to meet for brunch/lunch at Bessie’s or any other suggestions southeast WI?

9d334b3986c0488f9c2409e57252d555.jpg

I’m going to be heading up to OshKosh on a Pilots n Paws mission Saturday morning.

Anyone want to meet for brunch/lunch at Bessie’s or any other suggestions southeast WI?

Yep, I can likely head to Janesville or Madison on Saturday for a late breakfast/early lunch. By Friday morning I should know for sure.

Let’s plan Bessie’s in Janesville! Been wanting to go there for a while!

I'm interested. Might have to acquire an aircraft somehow first.

Let’s aim for one of us to get to JVL by 9am to get our name for a table on the waitlist.

Back