Midwest NASCAR fans- Newton, IA

Racerx

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Ernie
Ok...probably just me as I used to race against a handful of the current drivers. But Iowa Speedway just announced they got their first Cup race next June. Airport is essentially on the track and that's all the reason I need. Anyone else?

I do still enjoy watching NASCAR but I much prefer watching any sport from the comfort of my home than in person. Hopefully its a good race!

I don't know what the buzz is about. do you think the airport will be swarming with planes?

I do still enjoy watching NASCAR but I much prefer watching any sport from the comfort of my home than in person. Hopefully its a good race!
I'm typically the same way. I go to Daytona not for the races, but for the flight and better weather than Chicago in February.

I don't know what the buzz is about. do you think the airport will be swarming with planes?
Swarming? No. But I won't be the only one flying there. Used to go to the Michigan race and the grass strip a mile or so away was full on race day. Race teams/sponsors will be flying there jets in.

Bad Juju from Newton :mad:. Cost me $130K to replace a race car when my son was forced into the turn 1-2 wall while lapping traffic. Seventeen year olds have not learned patience and how to play the long game. I bit my tongue hard in the bus that night but was glad he only bruised his ankle and my bank account. The truck series was also running that weekend and were able to enjoy reuniting with one of his fellow drivers from karting days. Newton is a great spectator track as there are no bad seats.

Swarming? No. But I won't be the only one flying there. Used to go to the Michigan race and the grass strip a mile or so away was full on race day. Race teams/sponsors will be flying there jets in.

I think my bee jokes flew right over your head

I spent over a decade as an official at Old Dominion Speedway. Prior to that I was sitting up in the top row of the bleachers every week. I went from paying $10 to get in to being paid $40 to sit in the tower (air-conditioned splendor) and watch the cars go around.

Years ago I got into auto racing during one of the baseball strikes. ESPN was hard up for content so they ran a bunch if Indy and NASCAR stuff. I had a satellite dish at the time and loved watching the backhauls where you could listen to the commentators chatting when the commercials were supposed to be inserted. Shortly thereafter I found out about our local Saturday night track. I quickly got more interested in the up and coming guys here than watching the cup races.

Bad Juju from Newton :mad:. Cost me $130K to replace a race car when my son was forced into the turn 1-2 wall while lapping traffic. Seventeen year olds have not learned patience and how to play the long game. I bit my tongue hard in the bus that night but was glad he only bruised his ankle and my bank account. The truck series was also running that weekend and were able to enjoy reuniting with one of his fellow drivers from karting days. Newton is a great spectator track as there are no bad seats.
Been there, done that. Well, not the 130k part. But I was that impatient 17 yr old. Still impatient, just not 17.

One wreck wasn't my fault. Started on pole and outside front row ran me down to the rumble strips before dooring my right front. Broke the tie rod end and also brake line. Head first turn 1 wall with no brakes. That one hurt. Out came the backup car.

Next race I started 7th. High bank track where you have to run high groove. Guys starting front row were SLOOOOWWWW. Plan was to go low right at the start/finish and clear em all by turn 2. Executed perfectly and led every lap.

Last edited:
Might want to see what it cost to land and park there first, if it’s like other events now, it will be outrageous

I've driven past there many times, as we live in Omaha and have family in Crapids and other places. We finally went to the track a couple months ago for an Indycar race - well, really for some good concerts but the races were good, too. Was interesting seeing a jet depart about 30 minutes after an act left the stage... no challenge figuring out who it was. Saw a few piston singles in and out too, including one or two spray planes. No idea how that compares to a NASCAR weekend.

Back