Midwest - July 15th

bstratt

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Canuck
Anybody looking to plan a fly in (lunch??) for the 15th?

I gotta get back in the air! Due to a combination of plane being down for the annual, vacation, other partners bookings and my other commitments, I haven't flown since May 27th. July 15th is the only day I and the plane are available until August 19th!

Got my fingers crossed the weather doesn't crap me out!:fcross:

Anywhere central to whoever wants to go. Looking for something within, say, 250 nm of KDPA. Don't care if its west, north, or some other direction.

bstratt said:
Anywhere central to whoever wants to go. Looking for something within, say, 250 nm of KDPA. Don't care if its west, north, or some other direction.

Well, unfortunately I can't make it that day. However, if you want to do some night flying when y'all are done, fly to MSN, grab a car, take a right out of the FBO and then a left on US 151/East Washington Ave. Proceed to Sun Prairie. Look for stadium lights. Watch me perform. :yes:

Unfortunately Morris is about a 5 minute flight for me - hardly gets the oil warm.

If we can't arrange anything I might just throw a dart at a map - last time I did that I flew to Muscatine Muni. It was a nice airport. Met the mayor who was at the terminal.

Im going to be in Grinnell, IA that day for a crew regatta. I will strictly be a spectator. Im planning on flying over from Green Castle in the Ercoupe. Might be a stretch for you Barry, its in central iowa, but if you are going to come over for lunch i will make sure to join you!

The Kentland Airport (50i, five, zero, eye) is having their fly-in, hog roast on July 15. Anyone who flys in eats for free as a guest of the town. Also, the 100LL is only $3.75 per gallon. There has been a new ramp constructed, along with self-serve fuel. Serving lunch from 11:00 until 2:00, CDT.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. As it gets closer and the weather picture becomes more firm, I'll decide. The hog roast does seem like fun though!

WX permitting I'd be willing to go 100-150 nm from KAID (Anderson Indiana) - but if enough of you "western-midwesterners" are interested in something out in IA then don't worry about me this time. :)

Edit: Booking the plane for the 15'th - I might just go to 50I for the hog roast anyways!

Last edited:
Mike - ever flown into KRCR (Fulton County)? Ed and I flew in a couple of months ago. You can taxi through the hangar area, across a grassy area and park across the street from a great little restaurant.

inav8r said:
WX permitting I'd be willing to go 100-150 nm from KAID (Anderson Indiana) - but if enough of you "western-midwesterners" are interested in something out in IA then don't worry about me this time. :)

Edit: Booking the plane for the 15'th - I might just go to 50I for the hog roast anyways!
I'll go for that if the group agrees,

bstratt said:
Mike - ever flown into KRCR (Fulton County)? Ed and I flew in a couple of months ago. You can taxi through the hangar area, across a grassy area and park across the street from a great little restaurant.
Nope, never tried it. I need to put that on my to-do list tho!

I'll probably be up at 6Y9 getting stuff ready for the August 5th fly-in. Come on up! Good food right across the highway.

N2212R said:
I'll probably be up at 6Y9 getting stuff ready for the August 5th fly-in. Come on up! Good food right across the highway.
I'd absolutly love to come up and check out the place! It's pretty cool to read what all you've done for the place thus far.

Unfortunatly 6Y9 is 407.3 nm from me and that's a bit out of my flying budget atm. :(

So anyone going anywhere tomorrow? The weather here in IN is supposed to be hot and steamy tomorrow (highs around 90).

inav8r said:
I'd absolutly love to come up and check out the place! It's pretty cool to read what all you've done for the place thus far.

Unfortunatly 6Y9 is 407.3 nm from me and that's a bit out of my flying budget atm. :(

That's ok, make the fly-in august 5th! Stay the night if you need to, bring a tent.

inav8r said:
So anyone going anywhere tomorrow? The weather here in IN is supposed to be hot and steamy tomorrow (highs around 90).

Mike, I'll be arriving at 50i somewhere around 11:00am. I'm bringing someone who has never been in a small plane but wants to learn to fly. I have to have him home by 2:00pm so will probably be leaving around 12:30-1:00pm.

bstratt said:
Mike, I'll be arriving at 50i somewhere around 11:00am. I'm bringing someone who has never been in a small plane but wants to learn to fly. I have to have him home by 2:00pm so will probably be leaving around 12:30-1:00pm.

Be sure to go high and get out of the bumps if you can so he can see what it's like on a good day! :yes:

Looking at the soaring forecast, the top of the thermals should be aroun 6-7000 feet tommorow.

flyingcheesehead said:
Be sure to go high and get out of the bumps if you can so he can see what it's like on a good day! :yes:

Yep, planned to file for 7,000

I think I'll sit it out. I'm going to stay inside. The heat is unbearable today and it's not as bad as it's supposed to me.

Before the sun came out I got out of the air-conditioned car to go to the trunk and my glasses fogged completely over.

mikea said:
I think I'll sit it out. I'm going to stay inside. The heat is unbearable today and it's not as bad as it's supposed to me.

Before the sun came out I got out of the air-conditioned car to go to the trunk and my glasses fogged completely over.

But its cooler at 7,000!

bstratt said:
But its cooler at 7,000!
Yeahbut, I don't know how do to the trip without spending some time on the surface. :rolleyes:

I don't relish trying to tug the plane back into the hangar pushing against hot air I can practically see.

• Saturday 94 Extended period of heat begins by afternoon. Turning hot, humid with extensive sun. Peak heat indexes may reach reach dangerous levels, exceeding 100° p.m.
  • Sunday 98 Intensely hot and humid, and air pollution levels increase with abundant sunshine. Afternoon heat index readings approach 110°. Little or no lake cooling.
  • Monday 98Another intensely hot, humid and hazy day with local highs at 100° under a sunny sky. Afternoon heat indexes peak at 106º. Continued sultry Monday night.
  • Tuesday 91Inland areas climb into the lower 90s and afternoon heat indexes hit 102°. Light east winds bring moderation to lakeshore areas with highs holding in the mid or upper 80s.
  • Wednesday 93 Partly sunny, continued hazy, hot and humid with a maximum heat index about 106°. Little or no lake cooling. An isolated afternoon t-storm is possible.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/weather/
The City of Chicago is declaring a heat emergency. Seriously, the last time this happened, in 1995, over 700 people died in "The city that works."
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/custom/newsroom/chi-060714heat,1,7027470.story?coll=chi-news-hed

Back