Midwest Fly-in

jesse

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jesse
So...When are we going to have one? And where?

6Y9 - Labor Day Weekend 2007!!!

Sooner than that I'm game for most anywhere.

JEF has free lunch every Friday from 11:30 to 1. Other than that not much to do here though. LOL

Mark B.

id be very fine with central iowa on a weekend. i think matt michael would agree.

tonycondon said:
id be very fine with central iowa on a weekend. i think matt michael would agree.

I'll go along with that. Only problem is that my weekends for the rest of the fall are pretty much booked up. *sigh* Geez I hate this 'seasonal' work...

-Chris

Y'all come to GSH on June 30, we will even give you ramp space to all get together for the airshowm fireworks and other entertainment.

The finest small airshow in the midwest.

This year we had, Mike Goulian, Iron Eagle, Delta Connection, Klein Tools, Gene Soucy, and others I cant remember right now, F15 demo team, F18 Super Hornet Demo Team, T6 Demo team, LimaLima, Shockwave, 2 P51s to fly with the air force and a corsair to fly with the Navy, Live on stage entertainment during the evening, firworks and night pyro to finish off.

Last edited:
wesleyj said:
Y'all come to GSH on June 30, we will even give you ramp space to all get together for the airshowm fireworks and other entertainment.

The finest small airshow in the midwest.

This year we had, Mike Goulian, Iron Eagle, Delta Connection, Klein Tools, Gene Soucy, and others I cant remember right now, F15 demo team, F18 Super Hornet Demo Team, T6 Demo team, LimaLima, Shockwave, 2 P51s to fly with the air force and a corsair to fly with the Navy, Live on stage entertainment during the evening, firworks and night pyro to finish off.

Now that sounds nice. Any camping or walkable motels nearby?>

wesleyj said:

Too close to Gastons / 4th of July ...

my thoughts too jesse. do you want to do something still this fall? probably best since we all will be saving dough for gastons in the spring.

tonycondon said:
my thoughts too jesse. do you want to do something still this fall? probably best since we all will be saving dough for gastons in the spring.

I have a (somewhat biased) suggestion.

yes yes ed, we know. only problem i forsee with doing a midwest fly in in Northern Michigan is it really isnt centrally located for anyone. I will hope to be there labor day.

I was thinking sometime this fall...

Depending on weekend avalability, I'm up for something in Iowa - it'll be a new direction for lunch.

N2212R said:

Yes, but you are well aware that I would need an Air Force B-52 base to land on that's within a short drive of that little lawn.

Anthony said:
Yes, but you are well aware that I would need an Air Force B-52 base to land on that's within a short drive of that little lawn.

No problem. They have one about 45 NM east at KSAW.

well i guess Jesse doesnt want to go to the hangar dance in Boone (BNW) on oct. 21st. The following weekend is Halloween. We could do something that day, I am most definitely going to a Halloween party that night, im sure you all could come if you brought costumes! Other than that my November is free until thanksgiving. ill be no good nov. 18 weekend and nov. 25 weekend.

N2212R said:

I agree. I'm not able to rental it to N. Michigan as easily as I could Iowa.

I'll go to something this fall around Iowa. With the exception of the 28/29th, I generally open.

N2212R said:

What is it? :rolleyes:

Sheesh, it was kinda cold there over Labor Day. Don't ya have snow up there yet? :D

Tony et al from Iowa... Don't you guys want to FLY to a fly-in? Going around the pattern doesn't count. :p How about DBQ, isn't there someplace to eat there?

I'd only be able to make Nov. 4 for lunch, I'm attending a banquet near DLL that evening. We do need to do another midwest fly-in soon, though. Haven't done one in a while.

Dave S, when are you coming up next?

yea i could see the benefit of actually flying somewhere for a fly in. not our fault we live near the centroid of the midwest! im not sure if there is a restaurant at dubuque.

no set place or date yet bob, whats your preference? I assume something east?

Ok seems that the 4th is a good day for lunch. Now the question is where? The only airport I know of in Iowa with on the field restaurant is Mason City and from what I hear, it isnt that great. Anyone else have any ideas?

tonycondon said:
Ok seems that the 4th is a good day for lunch. Now the question is where? The only airport I know of in Iowa with on the field restaurant is Mason City and from what I hear, it isnt that great. Anyone else have any ideas?

Mason City's restaurant is nothing to write home about. Mostly just a frozen burger and fries kind of joint. Can't think of a good place around here to do it. With this wind, we're not spreading fertilizer today, so I've got all afternoon to think about it. :)

If we did Ames, we could probably hit up Hickory Park which isn't the 'typical' type of place. Only problem would be getting folks to-and-fro.

Hmmm... What else what else.. Muscatine has a restaurant across the road from the airport - "Good Earth". It's OK.. But small.. If we had more than 10 folks there, it would be PACKED with the locals there.

I'll keep pondering...

-Chris

thanks chris. One consideration is that there is a home football game on the 4th in Ames. They havent set a game time yet but the TFR will be from 1 hr before game start to one hour after. Now that said it is pretty easy to get in and out of the airport during this time, just have to either be IFR or be VFR with a transponder code, and keep it until you are on the ground. Basically no VFR 1200 or NORDO stuff. I just wouldnt want that to discourage people. As far as transportation, with a couple of us living in ames, we can get you to and fro where you want to go.

It might also be possible to get a grill and a hanger and make our own food.

wow i am retarded. Matt and I have a T Hangar which could be pretty cold but I also could probably get us inside the heated hangar at my FBO. Wouldnt be much of a problem to find a grill laying around somewhere.

tonycondon said:
wow i am retarded. Matt and I have a T Hangar which could be pretty cold but I also could probably get us inside the heated hangar at my FBO. Wouldnt be much of a problem to find a grill laying around somewhere.

I would think that a number of us could ask around. I'm sure that quite a few FBOs would be happy to put us up for the opportunity to sell a little 100LL. I'd be happy to ask at KMLE if anybody wants to fly to Omaha.

I don't care where it's at...I think the hangar idea would be cool-- heat would be a major bonus.

couple thoughts:
I have no doubt we could get in a heated hangar for a grilling lunch at Ames

If we wanted to try for a supper thing, we could go to Estherville and have pizza at my Dad's place. I probably couldnt talk him into giving it to us all for free but it is dang good, ask Jesse or Matt. Of course that would require a night return trip home, just a thought.

I went to some bar/grill type place in Burlington, IA that was pretty close to the airport. I wouldn't want to hoof it in 30 degree windy weather though.

tonycondon said:
couple thoughts:
I have no doubt we could get in a heated hangar for a grilling lunch at Ames

If we wanted to try for a supper thing, we could go to Estherville and have pizza at my Dad's place. I probably couldnt talk him into giving it to us all for free but it is dang good, ask Jesse or Matt. Of course that would require a night return trip home, just a thought.

Can't we all just crash at your place?:D

Tony .. look into the heated hangar thing.. I think that'd be the way to go.

Ahhh.. Stupid ISU football. Why don't they just cancel that stupid thing and spend more money on a real sport -- basketball! :D

Yeah.. The grillin in the hangar thing would be cool. That could allow folks to give rides in planes, etc. and allow everyone to have a view to grade landings. :) Actually, don't ask why, but I have 2 gas grills at home and 1 charcoal grill that I could bring if we needed them.

-Chris

tonycondon said:

Hmmm... That sounds like a good idea. :yes:

Lunch at KAMW, dinner at KEST. Maybe stay up there somewhere and claim airports all day Sunday on the way home. :D

Back