Midwest Fly In What to do

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
I understand that we plan to have a grilled lunch with good eats at the airport. Then there is Matt Michaels halloween party Saturday night for those that are staying. Ive talked to a friend of mine at school, and it looks like we should be able to get a tour of the wind tunnels in the Aerospace Engineering Dept. at Iowa State. We have a pretty nice tornado simulator as well as some high speed and low speed wind tunnels. I have been told we should have no problem getting a tour on Saturday. will last anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour depending on the questions. I suspect that we will have lots of questions. I also requested that we get to see as much of the equipment in action as we can. Hope you can make it.

bring costumes if you like for the halloween party. you will not be turned down if not in costume, but you will fit in a lot better!

Very cool! Four years there and I've never seen the wind tunnels (and only ever seen the tornado sim turned off). I really hope I can get the weekend off.

nice, that tornado sim looks pretty cool. Someone needs to dress up as dorothy for the party:)

ok another option has come up. the Boone Big Band will be playing swing music and all the old people will be dancing in the big hangar. Leah and I have gone to several of these dances and they are a blast. Boone airport is only about 10 miles west of ames and the runway will be open so we can fly over or drive. dance starts at 7, ill have to see what time matts halloween party is but im sure it will go much later than that.

oh and if you dont believe me about how fun the boone hangar dances are, ask Chris Jones :rolleyes:

ok another option has come up. the Boone Big Band will be playing swing music and all the old people will be dancing in the big hangar. Leah and I have gone to several of these dances and they are a blast. Boone airport is only about 10 miles west of ames and the runway will be open so we can fly over or drive. dance starts at 7, ill have to see what time matts halloween party is but im sure it will go much later than that.

As I remember, those dances get over pretty early. I'm thinking that the last one was over by ten.

yep, and I checked with Matt and his Halloween party starts around 7 but often goes late. sorry you wont make it Max

Dorothy?!! Not me, I might find a costume though, not sure what yet. What are YOU going as Tony, or are you gonna chicken out? :D

no im not chickening out this year. ill find something not sure what yet

tristar said:
Dorothy?!! Not me, I might find a costume though, not sure what yet. What are YOU going as Tony, or are you gonna chicken out? :D
2983098.JPG

753523.JPG

Mary and I will be age appropriate for the big band hangar dance.;)

Do you think you and Tony have the legs to pull those costumes off? :dunno::dunno:
Oh, they're young and thin. I'm sure they have the legs, though they may need to shave them. I'm just not sure if they have the cajones!:goofy::rofl::no:

I was uncertain if my wife and I were going to leave Sat. evening...thinking of seeing Tony in either of those outfits cemented my decision. Truth is we have to have be home for Sunday.

Last edited:
Ok i just got a call from my friend who works in the Wind Tunnel at Iowa State. We are definitely good to go for a tour on Saturday afternoon. heres my visions for the weekend

friday-early arrivals
sat. morn - arrivals, flying etc.
sat. noon - grilled lunch in the hangar
sat. afternoon - Wind Tunnel
sat. evening - departures/hangar dance/halloween party
sunday - departures

I think chris is going to let us use his grill even though he probably wont be there. I will probably go to the store friday and buy a bunch of food and stuff. last year we just had a jar to throw some money in when you ate and that worked well. I can grill, or if anyone else feels like volunteering, that would be great! I have the necessary skills to burn meat, but its not the kind of thing that i just love to do like many people.

For those of you who were there last year - Haps is now operating out of the main terminal building, as they won the city FBO contract this summer. we can park our planes on the line on the main ramp instead of all over creation like we did last year. The line boys will definitely be out directing you in, greeting you etc. They are definitely more "service oriented" than the last FBO... Im not sure where we will be eating but I think it will be over in the maintenance hangar like last year. Also, Haps is being really accomodating for us, especially considering that I am organizing this fly in there when I dont even LIVE there right now. Please consider thanking them for the service and place for us to enjoy each others company by buying fuel. I have no idea how the price compares to nearby airports or the national average or whatever, ill let you folks figure that out.

There is a chance that the glider club will be active on Saturday during arrivals. For the most part, they are pretty good about announcing when the are staging on the runway. In most favorable wind conditions they will operate of 13. Also, dont expect a radio call from each glider on each leg of the pattern. almost always there will be a radio call for downwind, sometimes base and final calls dont make it due to other things such as making sure they make it to the runway. In rare cases, a glider will be up flying NORDO. So keep your eyes out, dont get too bent out of shape and have fun, cause those some of those glider nuts are the ones organizing the fly in :D If it starts to get hectic i will probably do my best Steve See impersonation (need a hat with a fan and 10000 pins) and try to coordinate traffic.

Anyone coming in at night Friday - Remember that Ames is one of the few airports in the country whose lights are NOT on CTAF. Use 126.0 (also Des Moines RCO) to bring up the lights. See Jesses arrival on last years video to see what it looks like when the lights go out on short final :)

I think thats about it, I'm getting excited and can't wait to see you all! Let me know any questions. I will probably be PM'ing all prospective attendees my Cell number later in the week so you can call me if needed.

hmm new idea:

Soaring is looking KILLER for Saturday. I think all you should just be my chase crew for a killer downwind soaring flight! :D:D :yes: :yes:

I think we should have awards. Especially for the oldest aircraft with the newest avionics.

Matthew

lol matt, ok you come up with the trophy and we'll give the award.

I think we should have an award for the airplane that departed for AMW closest to MGTOW.

Well i finished off a great weekend by having a wonderful glider flight. the fly in folks helped launch me and then gave me a relight at about 2 PM. Matt MIchael and I "team flew" (which means i followed him) to the north, downwind. I left him in some lift and set off to find my own and never did, landing 42 miles from Ames. at about 3:30. He joined me in the field about an hour later. great time, ill have a ton of pictures tomorrow night. thanks everybody!

Well i finished off a great weekend by having a wonderful glider flight. the fly in folks helped launch me and then gave me a relight at about 2 PM. Matt MIchael and I "team flew" (which means i followed him) to the north, downwind. I left him in some lift and set off to find my own and never did, landing 42 miles from Ames. at about 3:30. He joined me in the field about an hour later. great time, ill have a ton of pictures tomorrow night. thanks everybody!

I heard you guys call back. That was pretty cool to watch and hear about.

(I was mostly worried about staying away as I departed.)

I was sandwiched between those two jets departing. I wonder why I got some bumps on the takeoff? :rolleyes:

Hey, Scott!! It was CAVU VU VU VUUUUU!!!

I was sandwiched between those two jets departing. I wonder why I got some bumps on the takeoff? :rolleyes:

i was having power delivery issues with my radio which were tough to address while thermalling. I did see the Hawker Jet pass well under me on Final, I also heard it!

i was having power delivery issues with my radio which were tough to address while thermalling. I did see the Hawker Jet pass well under me on Final, I also heard it!

What you didn't see were the two aircraft landing side by side after you left. Ben (I think that was his name) was coming in with a Cessna in the pattern. The Cessna called final as Ben called right base. The Cessna called final again and Ben said he would take the grass to the right of the runway. They were literally flaring at the same time. I don't understand why he didn't just go around and let the glider land.

I think that Jesse has the picture of both aircraft flaring side by side.

What you didn't see were the two aircraft landing side by side after you left. Ben (I think that was his name) was coming in with a Cessna in the pattern. The Cessna called final as Ben called right base. The Cessna called final again and Ben said he would take the grass to the right of the runway. They were literally flaring at the same time. I don't understand why he didn't just go around and let the glider land.

I think that Jesse has the picture of both aircraft flaring side by side.

ah yea, i heard about that at supper. it was Chris Uhl in the 2-22. thats why i like to use the grass when landing at the airport. also why i much prefer to land in fields. no stinkin airplanes to worry about! :D

Yeah you can really hear other planes in the glider. I managed to stay aloft for 1:05 after releasing from the town on Sunday. I was getting kinda low and was also freezing my butt off by then, so I decided to go back to the airport, when I hear a call "North American....." I really didn't notice the type, but he was setting up for downwind 29 while I was on kind of an extended base for 36. Next thing I hear is P51 has glider in sight, immeadiately followed by hearing that Merlin roar! How cool is that!

It was kinda busy at the time (3 gliders in the air, and probably 2-3 taildraggers as well) So he just went around, and left.

Well, after Jason finally tore himself away from the gliders (actually the gliders tore themselves away from him - he tried chasing them, but he forgot to put the Flubber in his shoes yesterday morning :rofl:) we flew to Ankeny and had dinner at the nearby Outback Steakhouse. Then, the Nebraska crew departed westward, and we headed to Washington (AWG) to tank up with $3.38/gal 100LL. :D

Finally, we headed for home, pointed straight towards a wicked moonrise - The atmosphere made it start out red, and for a while it was orange and somewhat distorted. The man in the moon looked like a jack-o-lantern. :)

Oddly enough, the "Ames blows" theory still holds true - Every time I've left, I've had tailwinds. :rofl: We were showing 145-150 knots groundspeed for most of the trip home.

Man now I feel like I got hosed at Monroe at 3.75 a gallon. I did get 23 gallons in the left tank :).

Didn't quite pull a mike and run a tank completely dry though...

Pete

Back