Midwest Fly In - Thank You!

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
Thanks to everyone who showed up and made the fly in a great event. As ive said elsewhere we had about 25 best i could count for lunch. easily devoured through the 20 burgers and 20 brats that i bought along with the chips, cookies, and drinks.

A great big thanks to Brad Bodensteiner for giving us the wind tunnel tour, it was AWESOME! Ive been going to school there for 3 years now and have done some lab work and other stuff in the tunnel area but that was probably the best tour ive ever had or seen.

Thanks Hap's Air Service for hosting us again.

Great thanks to the folks who stuck around on sunday and helped out Matt and I with our gliders. You have no idea how wonderful it is to have to choose which person will help us rig or run the wing or whatever. so often it is just us and the towpilot. Jason - great work on my essential "touch and go"

Matt Michael for inviting us all to the halloween party. Im not sure about the others, but I had a blast.

Thats about all I can think of for now. I told Steve, but the fly in is going to be later in the year next year. probably mid december. yes yes i know its going to be freezing cold, but it will be associated with a great hangar party celebrating my graduation from Iowa State.

We had a great time. If the wx cooperates even a little we plan to be there next year.

btw, did Matt's bonfire get out of hand? :)

7/2363 (#4)IA.. FLIGHT RESTRICTION, DES MOINES, IA. EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. PURSUANT TO 14 CFR SECTION 91.137(A)(1) TEMPORARY FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS ARE IN EFFECT FOR CHEMICAL SOLVENT FIRE ONLY RELIEF AIRCRAFT OPERATIONS UNDER DIRECTION OF IOWA D.O.T.EMERGENCY RESPONSE ARE AUTHORIZED IN THE AIRSPACE AT AND BELOW 5000 FEET MSL WITHIN A 2 NAUTICAL MILE RADIUS OF 413738N/0933359W OR THE DES MOINES /DSM/ VORTAC 11.0 DEGREE RADIAL AT 12.0 NAUTICAL MILES IOWA D.O.T.EMERGENCY RESPONSE, TELEPHONE 515-290-2864 IS IN CHARGE OF ON SCENE EMERGENCY RESPONSE ACTIVITY. MINNEAPOLIS /ZMP/ ARTCC, TELEPHONE 651-463-5580, IS THE FAA COORDINATION FACILITY. WIE UNTIL UFN

We had a great time. If the wx cooperates even a little we plan to be there next year.

btw, did Matt's bonfire get out of hand? :)

7/2363 (#4)IA.. FLIGHT RESTRICTION, DES MOINES, IA. EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. PURSUANT TO 14 CFR SECTION 91.137(A)(1) TEMPORARY FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS ARE IN EFFECT FOR CHEMICAL SOLVENT FIRE ONLY RELIEF AIRCRAFT OPERATIONS UNDER DIRECTION OF IOWA D.O.T.EMERGENCY RESPONSE ARE AUTHORIZED IN THE AIRSPACE AT AND BELOW 5000 FEET MSL WITHIN A 2 NAUTICAL MILE RADIUS OF 413738N/0933359W OR THE DES MOINES /DSM/ VORTAC 11.0 DEGREE RADIAL AT 12.0 NAUTICAL MILES IOWA D.O.T.EMERGENCY RESPONSE, TELEPHONE 515-290-2864 IS IN CHARGE OF ON SCENE EMERGENCY RESPONSE ACTIVITY. MINNEAPOLIS /ZMP/ ARTCC, TELEPHONE 651-463-5580, IS THE FAA COORDINATION FACILITY. WIE UNTIL UFN

Huh.. I wondered if they were gonna do any type of TFR for that fire. Apparently a chemical solvent company caught fire and exploded. I could see the smoke column from 30 miles away. Pretty amazing sight, especially in Des Moines where nothing 'major' ever happens.

http://www.kcci.com/slideshow/news/14452039/detail.html

http://www.kcci.com/news/14449137/detail.html

Last edited:
oh wow, i didnt read that article but heard about it on the radio this morning. one of my dads good friends is pretty high up in BARSOL.

It was great to see everybody again at the fly in. I hope everyone had as much fun as I did.

Actually, I bet Kent was the only one who had as much fun as I, because he's the only one besides me who rode my pedal-start, avgas-powered Harley. I didn't think of it until later, but I'm not sure he has the rating to operate it. Especially with the optional butane JATO attachment (at least two of you know what I mean).

On an lost-and-found note, I noticed a Mountain Hardwear hat and fleece gloves in my truck on Sunday afternoon. I'm not sure how they got there, but if anyone can claim them, I'd be happy to send them somewhere. Or better yet, we could arrange an airlift mission to return to cargo to its rightful owner.

Matthew

...This is why I check local area NOTAMs despite being scoffed at... :rolleyes:

Anyway THANKS TONY and ALL for hosting a fun event!

We weren't scoffing AT you...we were scoffing WITH you...:rofl:

Just kidding. I was glad one of us cared enough to check.

There was a reason I walked up to you after you came out of the FBO. I wanted to know if you had discovered anything worth knowing.

Back