Midwest Fly In Part 2

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
OK, ive had a lot of people asking. Lets plan on the weekend of October 27 in Ames. I still have to talk to the FBO about getting a hangar to eat and talk inside. Its a total crapshoot if it will be necessary. As mentioned earlier temps could range from 15 to 80 degF. The good things are that there is not an Iowa State football game that weekend in Ames so no TFRs to have to worry about. Ames has nice long paved runways with an ILS, 4 GPS, and a VOR/DME approach. Weather shouldnt be an issue, ask Kent. I promise to bring cookies. I dont know what the situation will be for hangar space for overnighters. It depends on how long the airport next door is torn up. right now the hangars are full at Ames. Once Boone gets its runway finished there will be more space.

Another feature is that Matt Michael's nationally know Halloween party will be that weekend. Always a boatload of fun. Maybe he will have his FlyBaby back to show off.

So let me know if you are going to attend. maybe we can set up a hotel room block like last time. although we really didnt save much money i dont think and they begrudgingly did it for only one night. It may just be better for everyone just to pre arrange what hotel to get rooms at. make sure to mention the Pirates of America :)

Im not sure about glider rides. we had a hell of a time trying to organize the glide a thon with club gliders due to lousy insurance requirements and outlandish costs to give non club members rides in club gliders. we may work something out but i can't promise a weekend of glider rides.

anything else?

You gonna come pick me up in DSM if I can get the time off and get a jumpseat? :)

I got dibs on the sofa at Haps!

Boone *should* be completed by then, which would open up about 2/3 of Ames' hangar space. I noticed today that they (BNW) had completed a new strip of concrete 1/3 wide the full length of the runway.

Anywho.. I should be available that weekend. I have a new job that has me working 4-10's, but that means I get a 3-day weekend every week. :yes: I'm sure Rachel will be there if she isn't working. We can help provide ground transportation for people as well as preparing/delivering food.

Looking forward to seeing EVERYONE! ;)

what are the recommended motels in the area?

I recommend the cheapest one. :)

Honestly though.... Closest to the airport would be (in order):

1. Baymont Inn - looks nice from the outside, not sure about pricing. About 1 mile west of airport.
2. Gateway Hotel & Conference Center (probably also one of the more pricey hotel's in Ames). Directly across the street from Baymont. 1 mile west of airport.
3. ?Holiday Inn? - just changed names, but I'm pretty sure it's Holiday Inn. 1 mile west of airport. It's right next to Gateway Hotel and across the street from Baymont.
3. Grandstay Residential Suites - probably the newest hotel in Ames. Looks nice. Attached to decent restaurant (Old Chicago) w/ "World Tour of Beers" going on. :yes: 1.5 mile north of airport.
4 - the rest. Heartland Inn, Best Western, Comfort Inn, AmericInn Motel, Hampton Inn, Super 8 -- all clumped together about 3 miles east of the airport. Pretty standard for their respective chain names (no dumps, no five-stars).

That's the low-down. Haven't actually stayed at any of them, but from the outside, they all look like fairly good examples of their respective chains.

It is on my calendar but I have to be home in the evening as I have tickets to see a Cajun band that will be in town. So I am good until about 4pm for that day.

Weather shouldnt be an issue, ask Kent.

Yeah... Ask the guy who had to go missed off the ILS at AMW, and who barely made the ILS into DSM 'cuz the weather went from SKT090 to OVC003 in less than 15 minutes... :eek:

I'm headed up to see my nieces in Wisconsin that weekend. Would love to stop in on the way up on Friday or the way back on Sunday. Let me know as things develop.

Best,

Dave

Ill put it on my calendar. At this point I don't have any conflicts, but sometimes a family event comes up that takes precedence.

hope you make it Dave.

Lance you should bring the Porterfield! :yes:

okie dokie we've got support from Hap's Air Service, the FBO in Ames. We will have an indoor spot to eat and chat and do whatever else. Chris - you want to be grill master?

oh and for you overnighters - as long as Boone Airport next door is open (it should be) there will be room in the T hangars. talking to christa at haps it sounds like they are very interested in accomodating us.

Only one question. Taylorcraft or 195?

Weather permitting, of course.

*sigh* Greg... If you REALLY need some help, I GUESS I can be persuaded to come up there and fly the Taylorcraft down for you.. You know.. Just to help you out. :D :D :D I wouldn't want one of the planes to feel left out, ya know.

chris, you'd need a tailwheel pilot with you, so i guess I'd have to come too!

and SOMEONE would have to have 10 hours of Taylorcraft time. Insurance, you know. LOL

well i guess we'll have to do some flying before then greg!

Exactly! They have a pattern at up there if I remember correctly. :)

Tony:

When will it begin and end? When is the halloween party (trying to think how I can get my nieces interested in coming). If the girls don't want to fly down, I'd have to stop Friday on the way up to Portage or Sunday, on the way home.

Best,

Dave

halloween party is Saturday night. it should be a pretty good time for your nieces, even the fly in will not be the typical old guys sitting around talking about airplanes.

halloween party is Saturday night. it should be a pretty good time for your nieces, even the fly in will not be the typical old guys sitting around talking about airplanes.

It won't? :dunno:

Well, I guess old guys and young guys and gals sitting around talking about airplanes. :rofl:

I must say, though, that Dave's nieces are VERY good at putting up with old guys talking about airplanes. :yes:

OK, ive had a lot of people asking. Lets plan on the weekend of October 27 in Ames. I still have to talk to the FBO about getting a hangar to eat and talk inside. Its a total crapshoot if it will be necessary. As mentioned earlier temps could range from 15 to 80 degF. The good things are that there is not an Iowa State football game that weekend in Ames so no TFRs to have to worry about. Ames has nice long paved runways with an ILS, 4 GPS, and a VOR/DME approach. Weather shouldnt be an issue, ask Kent. I promise to bring cookies. I dont know what the situation will be for hangar space for overnighters. It depends on how long the airport next door is torn up. right now the hangars are full at Ames. Once Boone gets its runway finished there will be more space.

Another feature is that Matt Michael's nationally know Halloween party will be that weekend. Always a boatload of fun. Maybe he will have his FlyBaby back to show off.

So let me know if you are going to attend. maybe we can set up a hotel room block like last time. although we really didnt save much money i dont think and they begrudgingly did it for only one night. It may just be better for everyone just to pre arrange what hotel to get rooms at. make sure to mention the Pirates of America :)

Im not sure about glider rides. we had a hell of a time trying to organize the glide a thon with club gliders due to lousy insurance requirements and outlandish costs to give non club members rides in club gliders. we may work something out but i can't promise a weekend of glider rides.

anything else?
Halloween party huh? We don't have to dress up do we? Some of us dont need costumes!!

See everybody soon!! Hopefully wx is better than it was for the Glide-a-thon!

Halloween party huh? We don't have to dress up do we? Some of us dont need costumes!!

See everybody soon!! Hopefully wx is better than it was for the Glide-a-thon!

I'm dressing as a pilot! (if I stay overnight...)

yea you dont need to dress up. although...it is a potluck so it would be good if possible for us to each bring something to eat. the spread at matts parties is usually full of great food, but we can always go to the store and pick some stuff up. doing our part you know.

Will your wife be attending the event this year?

I doubt it. We'll be closing on our new house in the next couple of weeks. She's spent the last six weeks waiting to get in there. I'd have to drag her out of our new home kicking and screaming. :)

I doubt it. We'll be closing on our new house in the next couple of weeks. She's spent the last six weeks waiting to get in there. I'd have to drag her out of our new home kicking and screaming. :)

Ha! I can imagine that would be a tough ordeal! Good luck and congrats on the new house! You being gone for a day or two will give her plenty of time to get a nice honey-do list for you when you get back. ;)

Back