MidAir at Centennial Airport Cirrus and Metroliner

There's no rule that says two aircraft can't be on the runway at the same time. At a controlled field, the tower just has to assure that there isn't going to be a conflict.

I've done this a couple times at our delta, once the tower asked the airplane ahead of me to fast taxi to the end of the runway, another time I was asked to taxi to the end of the runway.

The worst is when you are on final at an airport, have the spacing perfect, and the guy in front of you stops on the runway. Usually gets an interesting response from the controller. I don't know what people are thinking sometimes.

I had no idea until the tower said, "You know you landed on the wrong runway". "Oops, sorry". Then they said, "Don't worry, we'll take care of you." And they did. Never heard another word about it. But this was in the late 1980s, and the plane and I were a known quantity.
Did that once. Uncontrolled field in Nevada. Landed on the wrong runway. I was flying a long cross country 3 days flying 10 hours a day. I was tired..
The worst is when you are on final at an airport, have the spacing perfect, and the guy in front of you stops on the runway. Usually gets an interesting response from the controller. I don't know what people are thinking sometimes.
I think the only time I stop on a runway is when doing a short field TO

have the spacing perfect, and the guy in front of you stops on the runway
I can never figure out if it is just a visual illusion perspective thing, or? Seems somewhat common though where people don't space out the braking effort to line up with the taxiways and end up 1000' from a taxiway and doing a 5 knot taxi up to it..

They are fine with stopping on take off as long as they don't tell you to expedite.

I can never figure out if it is just a visual illusion perspective thing, or? Seems somewhat common though where people don't space out the braking effort to line up with the taxiways and end up 1000' from a taxiway and doing a 5 knot taxi up to it..

It's actually happened a few times, these people were stopped on the runway. The controllers weren't happy. One guy argued that he had to do his after landing checklist.

I've never thought about this before, but considering how quickly piston engines come up to full power, I'm wondering if we might be better off keeping it rolling.

I've never thought about this before, but considering how quickly piston engines come up to full power, I'm wondering if we might be better off keeping it rolling.
That would depend on what the POH says and whether there's a DPE on board. ;)

There's no rule that says two aircraft can't be on the runway at the same time. At a controlled field, the tower just has to assure that there isn't going to be a conflict.
There actually is, it's distance dependent. Most controlled airports have big enough runways it works out.

There actually is, it's distance dependent. Most controlled airports have big enough runways it works out.
No, it's more involved than just distance, but my statement was CORRECT. No rule says you can't have two airplanes on the runway at the same time. There are procedures (distance, etc...) to assure that when there are, that there is not going to be a conflict.

No, it's more involved than just distance, but my statement was CORRECT. No rule says you can't have two airplanes on the runway at the same time. There are procedures (distance, etc...) to assure that when there are, that there is not going to be a conflict.

There are rules that say that. It’s not allowed at night for any aircraft. And if either aircraft is a Category III it is not allowed at all. Category III is aircraft over 12,500 lbs and all turbojet regardless of weight.

3−10−3. SAME RUNWAY SEPARATION
a. Separate an arriving aircraft from another aircraft using the same runway by ensuring that the arriving aircraft does not cross the landing threshold until one of the following conditions exists or unless authorized in Paragraph 3−10−10, Altitude Restric- ted Low Approach.
1. The other aircraft has landed and is clear of the runway. (See FIG 3−10−1.) Between sunrise and sunset, if you can determine distances by reference to suitable landmarks and the other aircraft has landed, it need not be clear of the runway if the following minimum distance from the landing threshold exists:
(a) When a Category I aircraft is landing behind a Category I or II− 3,000 feet.
(b) When a Category II aircraft is landing behind a Category I or II− 4,500 feet.

You are probably right, you get a 5-10 knot rolling start vs a 0 knot start. But, if it's a short field usually there's also terrain. That full power and momentary brake hold is your last chance to verify the engine is happy, RPM, MAP, oil.. I appreciate that extra little window of comfort. A 1,700 RPM run up (or 2,200) isn't quite the same as a full bore max power.

You are probably right, you get a 5-10 knot rolling start vs a 0 knot start. But, if it's a short field usually there's also terrain. That full power and momentary brake hold is your last chance to verify the engine is happy, RPM, MAP, oil.. I appreciate that extra little window of comfort. A 1,700 RPM run up (or 2,200) isn't quite the same as a full bore max power.
Valid points.

There are rules that say that.

You aren't reading what I wrote. Yes, there are times when you can't land two on the same runway but there is no rule that says "You can't have two aircraft on the runway at the same time."

If you must roll on the runway and go, it's also more difficult to get all the way back to the end of the pavement.

Back