Mid time A-65, 30 years since overhaul

Fearless Tower

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fearless Tower
Overhauled circa 1979 and now has about 450 SMOH. Is it worth even looking at?

Sure. but you're going to have to pull two cylinders to look at all the parts....

There's another one just like it including the 75 hp carb kit. Removed to upgrade to STC'd o-200 in T-craft L-2. No known problems, the owners originally intended to use it again but changed their mind after Ram offered the approved upgrade.

Overhauled circa 1979 and now has about 450 SMOH. Is it worth even looking at?

yes it's worth a look.

If you buy it I'd have it run on a test stand before I installed it.

Mid time usually means valve rework time on those little old Continentals.

The lifters get sludged up, too, and can contribute to valve burning. They stick and won't adjust properly and can hold the valves open a smidgen when the engine is cold.

Dan

My A75 has 275 hours or so SMOH a few years ago. I'm hopeful it'll last about 10,000 hours. We'll see.

Been trying to decide if I should get one of the oil filter kits. They're all stupidly expensive though.

Personally I wouldn't be comfortable flying behind a 33 year old engine that at most has averaged 13 hours per year. Probably less with years of no action. It'd be worth tearing into to take a look at but I'd be pretty surprised if there weren't corrosion issues.

Personally I wouldn't be comfortable flying behind a 33 year old engine that at most has averaged 13 hours per year.

The engine will be a lot older than 33. The last overhaul was 33 years ago.

My A-65 is 66 years old. Seven years older than me. And it's as tired as I am.

And yes, 13 hours a year often leads to corrosion and sludging.

Dan

I traded for a A-65 that had no logs but was supposed to have
been overhauled 30 years ago. Pulled a couple cylinders the other day
And not a speck of rust and lifters were good. Midwest location.
Dave

Back