Mid-Atlantic avionics shop recommendations....

wsuffa

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bill S.
Looking for recommendations on good avionics shops in the Virginia/Maryland area. Willing to travel a bit further for good work/fair price/no ripoff.

I'm considering replacement of the #2 Nav/com/dme and the #2 GPS with another 430. May need to have some other maintenance work done at same time, and I'll be due for transponder cert soon.

Anyone have recommendations?

Bill I have heard great things about Red Eagle Avionics at KILG in Wilmington DE. Penn Avionics has a great rep at Brandywine KOQN and the One at Lancaster PA KLNS has a good rep as well but don't know the name, I think Ron Levy had some work done there as well.

Penn is good but usually takes 2x the time estimate, in my experience (3 times). Nice people, easy to work with.

Quality Avionics (Grove City) is fair, fast, and capable.

Walk across the street to the Grove City outlets and restaurants while you wait!

ProAv at New Philadelphia, OH is also very good, with a decent airport restaurant.

Both are full Garmin, etc, etc...

I know these aren't exactly in your back yard, but -- you have an airplane!

I did a lot of shopping around the area (including Hagerstown and Penn) before settling on Lancaster Avionics for my big panel upgrade. I'm very happy with the result and recommend them strongly.

I will not be going back there. While they are good technicians, their project management leaves something to be desired.

Hagerstown Aircraft Services, a different outfit across the field, does both avionics and other work on the plane - they're a full blast repair station. A visit to their ramp is interesting as they've always got some kind of restoration going on.

Tracey Potter
Hagerstown Aircraft Services
14235 Oak Springs Rd
Hagerstown, MD 21742-1331
(301) 733-7604

I was quite happy with the work they did on my earlier plane but when it came time for a thorough panel re-do on my current ride they weren't interested in the job. Shrug.

My next pure avionics job will probably go to Lancaster. In addition to Ron's recommendation they enjoy a great reputation on the dcpilots' email list. Haven't been there myself, though.

I have had small jobs (transponder work) done at both Lancaster and Penn. Very happy with both.

Penn is a very busy shop, which might give them the high volume/lower price advantage. They have done work on the AOPA Sweepstakes planes for a couple of years. Don't know about the time delays in work done--they've done the work I needed while I waited! Plus, there is a helicopter museum on the field at OQN.
________
Triumph Bonneville

Last edited:
I will not be going back there. While they are good technicians, their project management leaves something to be desired.

Terry Besecker is a great technician at Hagerstown Aviation - the best I've found for trouble shooting a problem. But, they are a small shop and can take a while to get a job done. Richard Collins got a lot of his avionics work in his 210 done there.

The only shop I know of is Capitol Avionics at Manassas. I know the owners, but that's about as far as my knowledge of them goes.

Thanks, all. Some good suggestions... now time for me to shop it.

Yep, Greg, I know about the cheap vs good paradox. On the other hand, good and expensive don't always relate, either. My goal is to find someone that will do it right at a fair price and stand behind their work (without ripping me off).

I don't know why, but it seems harder to find with avionics shops than most other services.

Do NOT use Bennett Avionics...total scum bags

Do NOT use Bennett Avionics...total scum bags

Care to elaborate?

Was it an install issue, or a buying of a used box issue?

Can anyone else confirm or refute? (Nothin' against you, Clay, but one bad experience does not a bad company make - And for what I need right now, it's Bennett or eBay.)

Care to elaborate?

Was it an install issue, or a buying of a used box issue?

Can anyone else confirm or refute? (Nothin' against you, Clay, but one bad experience does not a bad company make - And for what I need right now, it's Bennett or eBay.)

Bought "overhauled" KT-76A transponder from Bennett. It came a few days later and was installed in my plane(flightschool plane) at the avionics shop, passed bench test and correlation check no problems. After 2 weeks the unit completley failed. Per the 90 day warranty I mailed the unit back for repair/or replacement that was at thier discretion. Thankfully I had acess to a loaner unit that has operated without issue. I was greeted by an email a few days later saying that the shop could not get the unit to fail and that they were going to void the warranty over a scratch on the back of the case. The shop accused the install shop of grinding the unit to make it seat in the tray...totally false and frivolous..and yes I present during the install. I was charged $100 for the bench time at Bennett and out $900 only to get the bum unit mailed back to me. Of course it would not turn on when it was bench tested so I took it to Duncan Aviation..here is the report they gave me. I finally called the president of the company and gave this finding. he advised that a replacement would be issued if they deem the report to be valid,but there would be no refund of any $$ associated with the trouble shooting of the unit...all in all the $900 unit has cost me over $1500 chasing a warranty replacement, renting loaner transponders, shipping etc....BE CAREFUL!! I bought the unit 3 months ago and still have a loaner in my plane over this mess. I have a claim ready to go with the BBB if this doesnt work out.

Reported Discrepancy:
Discrepancy: Overhaul.
Remarks:Overhaul needed
Preliminary Findings: Bench checked and found the transmitter pulse width
and frequency to be out of specifications. Unit also has poor reception.
Service Bulletin KT 76A-10 should be installed to correct reply rate
limiting. The transmitter tube should be replaced for Overhaul condition.
While troubleshooting the sensitivity problem the power supply failed.
Troubleshot and found several components in the 9 Vdc regulator circuit to
be defective and out of spec.
Notes:
These parts will need to be replaced before further
troubleshooting can continue. This is NOT a final estimate.
Option 1: Overhaul with a PMA tube.
Labor: $575.00
Parts: $808.00 + $65.00 (Service Bulletin)
Above normal parts: none.
Option 2: Overhaul with a Honeywell tube.
Labor: $575.00
Parts: $1224.00 + $65.00 (Service Bulletin)
Above normal parts: none.
Should you decline the amount below, the evaluation fee for this unit will
be $232.00

email I got from the install shop
Clay,

I contacted Bennett Avionics they sure are not very nice people, I assured them that we did not modify the box during or after installation. I need to know Sir when the unit will be shipped back and or a new replacement unit. I am in no rush for the return of the loaner unit, it would just be nice to see the damage they are talking about and to get your aircraft back in service with no issues. Sorry for the inconvenience and their poor customer service, to argue over $100.00 dollars on their part is very poor service and bad advertising. It makes me uncomfortable at the least that they suggested we actually took the unit to a grinder to get the box to fit. Please let me know what the resolve is and if I can help in any way, and when you get the transponder back I will take care of the installation and correlation check.

Thank You,

Scotty XXXXX
Avionics Installations Manager

Last edited:
Back