Mid-Air in Illinois, One Dead

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
Mid-air crash kills pilot before air show

Sunday, June 18, 2006; Posted: 2:11 p.m. EDT (18:11 GMT)

story.planes.wqad.jpg

The pilot of this plane died in Sunday's crash. The pilot of the other plane landed safely.​

http://robots.cnn.com/2006/US/06/18/airshow.crash.ap/index.html

PERU, Illinois (AP) -- Two small planes collided in mid-air Sunday morning before the start of the Illinois Valley Air Show, killing one of the pilots, authorities said.
While police and the Federal Aviation Administration said they believed the planes were practicing for the air show, an official with the event's organizer said the pilots were not part of the scheduled entertainment.
The planes were among four that left Poplar Grove, Illinois, to be displayed at the air show, said J. Michael Maloney, president of American Air Shows.
As they were attempting to land, one plane touched another, causing a crash in a field northeast of the Illinois Valley Regional Airport, he said.
After the collision, the other pilot was able to land his plane and declined medical treatment, police dispatcher Jamie Bradish said.
Maloney said the air show, which began on Saturday, was expected to be held Sunday but would get under way about two hours late.
This is the second year the event has been held in Peru, which is located about 90 miles southwest of Chicago.
Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Last edited:
One pilot killed when planes crash at Illinois Valley Air Show

Associated Press
Published June 18, 2006, 3:17 PM CDT

PERU, Ill. -- Two small planes collided in mid-air Sunday before the start of the Illinois Valley Air Show here, killing one of the pilots but causing no other injuries, according to authorities.

While police and the Federal Aviation Administration initially said they believed the planes were practicing for the air show, an official with the event's organizer said the pilots were flying their home-built aircraft into Peru to place on display and were not part of the scheduled entertainment.

Christopher J. Good, 55, of West Bend, Wis., died when the plane he was piloting crashed in a field northeast of the Illinois Valley Regional Airport, said LaSalle County Coroner Jody Bernard.

Good's plane was among four that left Poplar Grove -- about 85 miles to the north -- to be displayed at the air show, said J. Michael Maloney, president of American Air Shows. As they were attempting to land, he said, one plane touched another -- causing the crash shortly before 9 a.m.

After the collision, the other pilot was able to land his plane and refused medical treatment, according to Jamie Bradish, a dispatcher in the Peru Police Department.

"It's a very unfortunate accident," said Maloney.

He said the air show, which began on Saturday, was expected to be held Sunday but get underway about two hours late. Event organizers did not immediately return a call Sunday afternoon on the show's status.

This is the second year the event has been held in Peru, which is located about 90 miles southwest of Chicago.

This accident happened to a fellow RV'er. The person that died in the crash, Chris Good, was a friend of my father and a 'strong' acquaintence of mine. He was a super friendly guy with a great warm personality. We had met him at a formation flying clinic in Mason City a couple of years ago, and by chance, we camped next to him at Oshkosh that same year.

I don't know any specifics about the accident, but I DO know that the group of planes involved are very skilled and cautious pilots. My dad has flown formation with the group a few times now and is very distraught about this whole situation.

If you feel comfortable, please whisper a prayer for Chris's family, the other pilots involved with the group, and my father. I still can't wrap my head around something like this happening so close to home. It really makes one take inventory of how fragile life is, and how it can be taken from us in the blink of an eye even while doing something we love so much.

Be safe out there folks.

-Chris

Thanks for the input Chris. I am wondering is this the groups of RVers that practice a lot of group flight and different demonstration? If it is I heard them last Sunday on 122.75 practicing when I was heading home from Fort Wayne.

Sorry your Dad's friend!

smigaldi said:
Thanks for the input Chris. I am wondering is this the groups of RVers that practice a lot of group flight and different demonstration? If it is I heard them last Sunday on 122.75 practicing when I was heading home from Fort Wayne.

Sorry your Dad's friend!

Saturday they were here in Boone, Iowa. We actually chatted with Chris for a while before eating lunch. They took off from here and did a 6-ship fly-over. Very nice quality formation flying.

They do fly out of ?Poplar Grove? which is just NE of Rockford if I remember correctly. They could have been out practicing earlier today. I'll post more if I hear any news through the "RV grapevine"

Thanks,
Chris

CJones said:
Saturday they were here in Boone, Iowa. We actually chatted with Chris for a while before eating lunch. They took off from here and did a 6-ship fly-over. Very nice quality formation flying.

They do fly out of ?Poplar Grove? which is just NE of Rockford if I remember correctly. They could have been out practicing earlier today. I'll post more if I hear any news through the "RV grapevine"

Thanks,
Chris
Poplar Grove is NE of Rockford. Nice place.
I've actually considering moving nearby.

This is a sad story, I wonder if they had real formation flying training and certification.

I call tell you from my experience when I did it I can see that things can go sour quickly. I'll never try it again.

Last edited:
CJones said:

Thanks,
Chris

I heard them, I think, a week ago today (Sunday the 10th). I am familiar with Poplar Grove I am based at 10C a few miles away and we share the same CTAF. Sad, sad, day. :(

mikea said:
Poplar Grove is SE of Rockford. Nice place.

Then you better head NE of of Rockford because that is where Poplar Grove is. See attached map.

My cousin lived not too far form there and it is a nice area. A lot of people around hear are starting to hanger there. But it is just too darned far for me. If I worked in McHenry county I would consider moving there but I work in Schaumburg. A Poplar Grove to Schaumburg commute jsut does not sound good to me.

Attachments

• Rockford_PoplarGrove.pdf
    68.7 KB · Views: 418
smigaldi said:
Then you better head NE of of Rockford because that is where Poplar Grove is. See attached map.

My cousin lived not too far form there and it is a nice area. A lot of people around hear are starting to hanger there. But it is just too darned far for me. If I worked in McHenry county I would consider moving there but I work in Schaumburg. A Poplar Grove to Schaumburg commute jsut does not sound good to me.
OK. I shouldda checked my chart. I was considering moving my desk to Hoffman Estates. When we drove out to Madison we tried to gauge how bad that would be. Pretty bad.

It was also obvious that I'm not the first person to think of it. There are a lotta developments around there. I wanna know who's supplying da dimes.

I'll prolly end up somewhere a little closer.

mikea said:
Poplar Grove is NE of Rockford. Nice place.

This is a sad story, I wonder if they had real formation flying training and certification.

I call tell you from my experience when I did it I can see that things can go sour quickly. I'll never try it again.

Yes.. Chris had his FFI Wingman card which allows him to 'perfom' formation flight in 'closed' airspace for airshows. The group he was a member of is called the Blackhawk Squadron. The group itself is very well rehearsed, with almost weekly 'practice' sessions of formation flying. The group has 4-5 certified wingmen and 2 certified flight leaders. In fact, the group had just completed very intense training to achieve their FFI cards. This wasn't some local yocals out seeing how close they can get to each other - they are all trained and very professional pilots.

No info yet on what actually 'caused' the contact. Chris, I think, usually flew as #2 and I think he made contact with the main flight lead. Not sure about much else right now.

-Chris

I've got more information on this. First, the people in the 4-ship were FFI-certified. However, the group was performing a nonstandard pitchout from a diamond formation (not part of the FFI certification routine). Lead pitched, then #2 pitched, and #2 ran into Lead's underside. That would make it appear there was a breakdown in formation discipline (continuing a maneuver after losing sight of the aircraft ahead), but it's way to early to know anything for sure beyond the basic facts.

From the Beechlist.

Dave
======================================

Chris Good, the pilot of his RV-6, was our EAA chapter Technical guy. and a close friend. He flew formation every weekend with the same 4 guys based at Poplar Grove. During a formation landing Chris (flying in the 2 slot) came into contact with the lead airplane, what parts touched is still in dispute (some say wings, others say prop/wing) and Chris' plane went in almost vertical from about 500 ft.

There is a service planned at our chapter facility at West Bend airport sometime later this week.

Glen B

So sorry to hear this. My prayers and condolences for the family and friends.

Dave Siciliano said:
Chris Good, the pilot of his RV-6, was our EAA chapter Technical guy. and a close friend. He flew formation every weekend with the same 4 guys based at Poplar Grove. During a formation landing Chris (flying in the 2 slot) came into contact with the lead airplane, what parts touched is still in dispute (some say wings, others say prop/wing) and Chris' plane went in almost vertical from about 500 ft.

There is a service planned at our chapter facility at West Bend airport sometime later this week.

That's ironic. That West Bend EAA chapter hosted our launch of the Piper flight to Oshkosh. We had our final briefing in that building. Great guys.

Ron Levy said:
I've got more information on this. First, the people in the 4-ship were FFI-certified. However, the group was performing a nonstandard pitchout from a diamond formation (not part of the FFI certification routine). Lead pitched, then #2 pitched, and #2 ran into Lead's underside. That would make it appear there was a breakdown in formation discipline (continuing a maneuver after losing sight of the aircraft ahead), but it's way to early to know anything for sure beyond the basic facts.

Not here to dispute your info. I have no information contrary to your info provided. Just curious where you came about the info? My dad is on the Blackhawk Squadron list and hasn't got any new info yet today. Just curious where you got the inside info.

*Sidenote: The Blackhawk Squadron had to close their website to "prevent giving info to the vultures." (i.e. Media I would assume) What a sad situation.

-Chris

The morning news morans kept calling it a "homemade plane." just like Bob Collins was flying a "stunt plane."

Those of you that have met me have probably noticed the gray hair. As many of you know, for those that have had their wings for sometime, this can be a very close little community. If you don't know someone, you probably know someone that knows them if they are active at all. That's why I'm not so quick to point out that mistakes were made until the facts are in. Families are involved, and the last thing they need to hear in their berevement is how Daddy or Grandpa did something stupid.

So, I'm all for learning what the facts were when they are available to learn and to avoid a future accident. But, this is not a time to be accusatory.

A guy that landed short of a runway in San Antonio couple months ago was and still is very active on the Beechlist. He knows what caused the accident; we know but don't rub it in. He's looking for another plane now. We're all glad he's still able to fly. He had to answer for what he did; we don't add to the punishment--I think that's what friends do--support.

Heavens knows I've done some things, mainly when younger...well, let's not go there.

Best,

Dave

About the other pilot involved in the Mid-Air from my local paper.

Marengo pilot survives midair collision

[published on Tue, Jun 20, 2006]​
MARENGO – A Marengo man was uninjured and safely landed his plane after a midair collision that killed a Wisconsin man Sunday in Peru, police said.
clear.gif

William Turner, 63, was flying a home-built aircraft to the Illinois Valley Air Show when it collided with another small plane, said Michelle Wagner of the Peru Police Department.

Turner's wife, Lynn Turner, said Monday that her husband had returned home but was not ready to talk about the accident.
"It's too soon," she said. "It would be very difficult."
The second plane crashed in a field near the Illinois Valley Regional Airport, killing its pilot, 55-year-old Christopher J. Good of West Bend, Wis., LaSalle County Coroner Jody Bernard said.

Turner's plane was badly damaged in the collision, said J. Michael Maloney, president of American Air Shows, which organized the event. He said it appeared that Good's plane hit Turner's.
"The people that saw [Turner's] plane said that it was a great, great feat of flying to get it down," Maloney said. "They said the plane was pretty badly torn up."

Maloney said the pilots were part of a group of four flying from the Poplar Grove Airport to display their planes and watch the air show.
Officials said an investigation by the National Transportation Safety Board could take several months to complete.
Both pilots were members of the Experimental Aircraft Association based in Oshkosh, Wis.

Dick Knapinski, a spokesman for the group, said the single-engine planes had safety records nearly identical to factory-built aircraft. He said pilot error was to blame for 75 percent to 80 percent of all accidents.
"It sounded like it had nothing to do with the aircraft itself," Knapinski said of Sunday's collision. "It's always sad to see regardless of what type of plane it is."

Meanwhile, Maloney said the tragedy could have been worse if not for Turner's skillful landing.
"It could have been two planes out of the sky," he said. "My people that saw the airplane were just in awe that he got it down."

By TOM MUSICK
tmusick@nwherald.com
with wire reports

Official Memorial Service Announcement

To All Friends and Fellow Aviators of Chris Good:

Information regarding the The memorial service and visitation for Chris is as follows:

Date:
Saturday, June 24, 2006

148 S. 8th Avenue
West Bend, WI 53095
Telephone: 262-334-4242

Time:
2:00PM - Visitation
4:00PM - Service

In lieu of flowers, the family has requested donations in Chris' name be made to the EAA Chapter 1158 Scholarship Fund c/o EAA Chapter 1158, 310 Aerial Drive, West Bend, WI 53095.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back