Mid-air at San Marcos TX (HYI) - 9/24 - C-172 & Experimental - minor injuries

Van Johnston

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Van Johnston
"SAN MARCOS, Texas — Two men were taken to the hospital after two planes collided while attempting to land at the San Marcos Regional Airport on Thursday evening. ...

As the planes attempted to land, they collided, and one of them caught on fire and the other overturned, the spokesperson said."

Planes came down within a few feet of each other; looks like on the road off the approach end of rwy 8.

https://www.kens5.com/article/news/...port/269-61030b04-f53a-4508-809e-7f6d3ab61c68

As you can imagine, this is a big topic here in Austin. Sounds like the tower had closed for the day and the pattern was very busy. The Rocket lost sight of the 172, but then saw another 172 and thought he had the first one in sight. At least, that is the Monday morning QB take from the audio.

From about 14 minutes in, you can hear a lot of traffic. At 18 minutes, it gets intense.
ATC Link

Last edited:
Showing that towered airports are a thing... Hate to see a VK plane involved.

Isn’t that where Josh Flowers, Aviation 101, is based out of? Hope all survived the accident with minor injuries...

Isn’t that where Josh Flowers, Aviation 101, is based out of? Hope all survived the accident with minor injuries...
It is. I’m sure he’ll come out with a video of his thoughts on the incident soon.

I'm surprised the planes still in the pattern tried to change runways and continue to land. I think I'd have bugged out until things settled down to allow any helicopters to get in if needed and just not stay involved in a busy pattern with some not great calls going on (left final). In fairness, they likely did not know it was a mid-air, but still it was a messy pattern before the crash, having them all switch runways on the fly seemed asking for more trouble.
100% monday morning quarterback.
Glad to hear all survived.

Back