Microsoft Word XP not responding

HPNPilot1200

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jason
Recently, Microsoft Word XP hasn't been working properly on my dad's computer. I followed a Microsoft support article which instructed to delete the KEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Word\Data and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft Office\11.0\Word\Options registry keys as well as rename the normal.dot global template.

Microsoft word now opens (it wouldn't even load before), but when I go to open a document, the program doesn't respond (hangs) and won't open the document. It says "Requesting Virus Scan" at the bottom, but nothing happens. I tried disabling the anti-virus software on this computer as well, but the same problem occurs.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason

Recently, Microsoft Word XP hasn't been working properly on my dad's computer.
Jason, delete it using the Control Panel Add/Remove feature and then reload it. Check to see if you have the proper disks before deleting!

-Skip

The better sequence is this:

1. Remove the program using Control Panel;
2. Install WordPerfect Office X3;
3. Be amazed at office software that works.

Or, install Open Office, and be amazed at office software that works, and is free.

The better sequence is this:

1. Remove the program using Control Panel;
2. Install WordPerfect Office X3;
3. Be amazed at office software that works.

Or, install Open Office, and be amazed at office software that works, and is free.

Do you actually use Open Office in your law practice? You da man!

1)unplug computer
2)box up computer
3)throw computer away
4)buy mac
5)be happy

:D:D:D

You might want to see if temporarily disabling the Word Macro checker thingie works, and if it does, then you know the problem exists when Word searches documents for macros. I don't know how to fix it, but this might help narrow down the problem. I don't have word installed as I use openOffice, but I recall there being a check for malicious macros in Microsoft Word.

Do you actually use Open Office in your law practice? You da man!

Well, we use WordPerfect for ongoing work- still nothing better for true text processing.

But we load OO for those occasional .doc files that WP has trouble with. I have never, but never, seen a Word file that Open Office could not properly open.

i have an ipod :D:D

i only dispense advice, following it is not a requirement. plus its fun to beat you and mike to the punch!

well if that was my strategy, it seems to be working so far...

Back