Microsoft Windows Vista, Explained

SCCutler

Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Spike Cutler
You will all recall that incredibly funny, yet accurate, one-man soliloquy about the Apple Macintosh, the one with the guy (who reminds me of EdFred, for some reason) in the white room describing the agonizing experiences of Mac "simplicity"?

Well, here's a marvelous illustration of the Windows (WinDoze?) product philosophy, in the same spirit.

http://www.blimptv.net/mostpopularV1.html

Enjoy!

That's funny.

By the way, I replaced our $2,000 iMac G5 with a $600 PC running Vista. No crashes, the cursor works like it's supposed to, it accesses the internet twice as fast, and I have lots of software that will run on it.

Anybody in the market for a G5 with a brand new hard drive? Cheap?

HAHA Windows CEMENT.....now that is funny

Pete

I find it funny....not too accurate, but funny.

My wife's Vista has been running for months with NO issues. *shrug*

I use my Macbook every day. I've booted it into OSX probably about four times since I put Vista on it.

That's funny. True, too.

Actually, I'm running Vista on a machine at home and it isn't too bad, especially if you are a memory chip manufacturer. Boy, is it a memory hog!

Now, don't get me started on Office 2007. I've got that at home, too. If Intel decides to switch to it we'll take a productivity hit like you won't believe. Microsoft has hidden many of the common items you use so you spend too much time looking for things that you could do in your sleep in Office 2003 and earlier versions. And, don't look for "File" at the top of the screen. It isn't there. Hint - click on the goofy logo in the upper left corner. Guess what? It takes the place of "File". Brilliant. :p

That's funny. True, too.

Actually, I'm running Vista on a machine at home and it isn't too bad, especially if you are a memory chip manufacturer. Boy, is it a memory hog!

Now, don't get me started on Office 2007. I've got that at home, too. If Intel decides to switch to it we'll take a productivity hit like you won't believe. Microsoft has hidden many of the common items you use so you spend too much time looking for things that you could do in your sleep in Office 2003 and earlier versions. And, don't look for "File" at the top of the screen. It isn't there. Hint - click on the goofy logo in the upper left corner. Guess what? It takes the place of "File". Brilliant. :p

We got an Outlook upgrade so now we don't see meeting requests on the calendar unless we have accepted it. Since we get 200 emails an hour things tend to scroll off. So we get panicked phone calls asking why we aren't in the meeting we don't know about.

Today I wanted to just run Excel. (A Word document had an Excel spreadsheet embed and it said it couldn't launch Excel. I eventually found out what the problem was. It wasn't the ever unhelpful offer to install something to fix it.) I go to Start->Programs the only thing it shows next is Accessories, thanks to the wunnerful XP feature of helpfully hiding things you haven't used recently - in my case the whole program menu.

You just know that Microsoft does market research on why they can't get more grandmas and mere civilians to buy PCs and Windows and they hear over and over that it's so scary and there are too many things to read and omigosh and thus the default Teletubbies desktop in XP...I'm a PROFESSIONAL AT A FORTUNE 15 COMPANY! who is forced to fight with this crap all day and late into the evening to work. I'm not scared. I'M MAD that you keep dumbing the f*in thing down! Leave it alone!

Last edited:
I go to Start->Programs the only thing it shows next is Accesories, thanks to the wunnerful XP feature of helpfully hiding things you haven't used recently - in my case the whole program menu.
I actually like that feature.

and omigosh and thus the default Teletubbies desktop in XP
Have you ever looked at Mac OS? I am pretty sure it looks a little more "teletubbie".

I'm not scared. I'M MAD that you keep dumbing the f*in thing down! Leave it alone!
Apple never ever tries to dumb anything down....

I actually like that feature.

Have you ever looked at Mac OS? I am pretty sure it looks a little more "teletubbie".

Apple never ever tries to dumb anything down....

I'm comparing the old versions of Windows to the "new, improved" Windows in a thread about Microsoft Vista and the old versions of Office to new versions of Office and you have to pipe up as a fan boy and say Mac OS is better.

You are of course, right, but let's stick to the topic at hand, shall we?

Attachments

• 722.gif
    722.gif
    47.3 KB · Views: 9
WordPerfect Office. Works great, and there's no idiot wizard trying to screw up your work.

---

Edit: You called Jesse, "Fan Boy"! LOL

Yeah. That's it. I'm the biggest Mac Fan Boy ever Mike :)

.I'm a PROFESSIONAL AT A FORTUNE 15 COMPANY! who is forced to fight with this crap all day and late into the evening to work. I'm not scared. I'M MAD that you keep dumbing the f*in thing down! Leave it alone!

Mike, put the mouse down and back away from the computer. nobody is going to get hurt, just breathe, all will be well. Here look at the pretty picture and you will feel better

apple_logo_%28640x480%29.jpg

Aren't the colors soothing?

No lets head over to the Apple store and get you a nice new computer. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Last edited:
I have Vista Ultimate on one of the machines here, and frankly, I'm not very impressed with anything other than the security improvements. I really, really could do without all the screen effects that people "ooh" and "aahh" over.

I also wish they'd left the &#$^*@ Control Panel layout alone. I know it's trivial, but I support more than a decade's worth of Windows versions now, and it would be nice to have some consistency.

The main reason I still use Windows at all is because I haven't been able to make Macromedia Studio run satisfactorily on Linux under WiNE. If I ever manage to do that, I'll probably go back to using Linux for pretty much everything.

Rich

Form versus function. I use a PC because I have to. I don't need all the widgets, doo dahs, gadgets and gizmos to keep me amused. Just give me the stock WINDOWS (read original) start and taskbars and I'm happy.
The part I can't stand it every machine is different. Back in the DOS days, you got a system prompt. The biggest tailoring you did was whether the prompt showed you the directory you were in or not. There's a reason why they call it a gooey (GUI) now.
PS: OPEN OFFICE works great. A little slow to start but has all the basic features you need. And the best part is IT'S FREE! A by-product of linux and open systems.

Back