Microsoft surface pro

Running VMware and 2 VMs on one monitor, surfing on the primary screen and using a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Two external USB 3.0 drive as well as a DVD Samsung R/W and listening to the radio. I have finished testing and will use this as my primary computer at work.

You guys have taken what suppose to be a portable device and made into a desktop PC. LOL
No. We have eliminated the distinction between the two. It's just "My PC" independent of its current location and configuration.

You guys have taken what suppose to be a portable device and made into a desktop PC. LOL

No. We have eliminated the distinction between the two. It's just "My PC" independent of its current location and configuration.

I have to agree there. One device to back up, update, screw with, and everything's on it, kinda appeals to this multiple iOS and OSX owner who's constantly patching something or waiting for it to reboot with new patches either to the OS or the application software.

There's not a machine I own that isn't updating daily, nowadays.

Hell, even "enterprise" class Linux distributions frozen in time on a specific KERNEL hit the 500 mark for just the KERNEL patches applied to a frozen kernel in the most recent kernel updates this week.

Doesn't do much good to run an OS capable of years of uptime in a world of weekly reboots. Patches and updates are a total fustercluck nowadays. Automation is the only way to even survive it, let alone actually manage it.

Testing for most stuff now usually consists of, "It's been out for two days and the early adopters on the mailing lists aren't screaming bloody murder. Ship it."

I'm looking for this. Something I take as ubiquitously as my cell phone and which handles my accounts, correspondence, manuals and so forth and which connects readily to large screens and keyboards and printers and so forth.

Maybe something like a tablet with a bunch of docking stations, I don't know. I should learn how to do voice input so I don't need a keyboard as much.

I have five computers, 2 tablets and a reason for them all. I'd like to get them down to one plus a backup. We're getting closer but we're not there.

... I have five computers, 2 tablets and a reason for them all. I'd like to get them down to one plus a backup. We're getting closer but we're not there.
I think my irreducible minimum is three devices:

• Convertible Win tablet with performance at least at the i5/i7 level, adequate RAM, adequate SSD, battery capacity 5+ hours, 10" range screen size for portability.
  • Small (~7") tablet to carry where I don't want to risk "My PC" (international travel, for instance) and to use for aerial and terrestrial navigation. Nexus 7 suffices right now.
  • Smartphone
Support hardware:

• Docks with good monitors, keyboards, and mice wherever I need to do serious work.
  • Small NAS box at home only with >=RAID 1 storage, used for backup of "My PC" and archives of things like photos that I don't need to access frequently. Right now I am a happy Synology DS212+ customer. "My PC" does an incremental backup daily and a full backup weekly.
  • Networked printer(s) appropriate to the dock location.
Obviously some people in this thread are doing heavier lifting than I am, but for my purposes this configuration is near perfect. And, other than the small screen convertible tablet I think we are "there" right now in terms of technology availability.

I think my irreducible minimum is three devices:

My irreducible minimum is an iPad with Foreflight. Anything else is just for fun. ;)

(Okay, I need a laptop and a 24/7 circuit for work but they will buy the laptop and I'm sure if pressed would also buy the circuit. Or they'd figure out how to live with two hours of downtime while I drive over there. LOL)

Needs vs wants...

Back