Microsoft Surface aviation apps

flhrci

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
David
So, now that the new tablet has been out for awhile, minus the new Pro, anybody know if there are aviation apps for the thing yet? or is it too big and clunky to use in the cockpit?

I have not seen one in person yet.

Just curious...

David

Jeppesen is working on their apps right now, With the surface pro out tomorrow, you can run any of the old stuff then. I love my surface and can't wait to see what developers come up with.

Right now, about all we have is the flight tracking apps such as flightaware :) I've been hacking at my own stuff for the time being.

Can you easily code and load your own apps on the Surface? Or do you have to go through some appstore to purchase?

Can you easily code and load your own apps on the Surface? Or do you have to go through some appstore to purchase?

There is an app store for the Metro apps, but as a developer, you can get free side loading of your apps just by using the freely available SDK.

I have MSDN, so I get Visual Studio, but I have not bought/paid for Windows Store publication and I send apps to my surface all the time.

I'll have to do a technical write up on the surface, tools, sdk and marketplace and publish it for all the devs who may surf this board. The toolchain is really quite impressive but the API is .. different.

I have an ExoPC Slate that runs Windows 8 like a champ. I don't really use it for anything, though. Is there even an app store that serves Windows 8 or Microsoft? Not sure if my measley Atom processer will run anything the Surface tablets will run. I'm just curious.

I have an ExoPC Slate that runs Windows 8 like a champ. I don't really use it for anything, though. Is there even an app store that serves Windows 8 or Microsoft? Not sure if my measley Atom processer will run anything the Surface tablets will run. I'm just curious.

Yup, appstore is nice in Windows 8 and it should run on your ExoPC slate / atom system. The windows 8 "metro" apps are all very light weight / tablet / power aware apps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/apps

example: FlightAware app for Windows in the Windows Store

http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-US/app/flightaware/d36e5533-5170-441e-9a92-ef38c17bdb85

Last edited:
Back