Microsoft Open Value licensing

cowman

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Cowman
I know some of you here do IT stuff so maybe someone can tell me something.

I recently took over handling IT services for a small private school. The principal and administrative left between last school year and now as did the IT staff of one. I have no documentation on anything and in many cases not even logins to accounts for things and this is where the question comes in.

The new principal forwarded me an email from microsoft saying our open value subcription(I forget the long marketing wank term but basically discount educational licensing) had expired and we were to uninstall any of the software and destroy any install media and have someone sign and turn in a form stating this was done. I think this must mean MS Office 2010 but I'm not sure. Nor am I sure what was installed on what systems under what licensing arrangements.

I am not about to sign a document like that especially when there's no way I can know or take responsibility for what was installed or how. Furthermore, they need MS-Office. Most of the staff isn't terribly computer savvy but they know how to use office and I think switching them off to something like openoffice/libreoffice wouldn't be a good move.

According to the email this was purchased through CDW. Tried contacting the sales person referenced on the email but no response. I have no login information for any Microsoft accounts with the school and the one I was given for CDW doesn't work.

Ideally if we are running a subscription for Office I just want to find out how to renew it and get the school to do it so there's no interruption in service and no legal consequences for them. Just not sure who/how to contact to get it straightened out.

Might be an option but I think renewing what we have is actually cheaper.

A lot of these users are of the sort who are completely lost if you so much as move an icon on them so I'm extremely hesitant to throw a lot of change at them especially when we were just finally starting to get things under control. When I came in nothing worked, not even their phones and I'm trying to put off doing anything major until the school year is up so we can take care of the IT situation in a planned deliberate manner rather than hodge-podge upgrades and installations.

Might be an option but I think renewing what we have is actually cheaper.

A lot of these users are of the sort who are completely lost if you so much as move an icon on them so I'm extremely hesitant to throw a lot of change at them especially when we were just finally starting to get things under control. When I came in nothing worked, not even their phones and I'm trying to put off doing anything major until the school year is up so we can take care of the IT situation in a planned deliberate manner rather than hodge-podge upgrades and installations.
Microsoft Office licensing is heading to the cloud. For education, they give E1 for free, which includes Exchange in the cloud, SharePoint Online and Skype for Business Online (no voice). It also includes online office apps, which are pretty functional. For the few that need an installed copy of Office, the E5 SKU will let each user install a downloadable version on up to 5 devices. You don't need to support on prem Exchange and for the most part, you can move Office files to the cloud (SharePoint Online) and use OneDrive for Business to keep a synchronized local copy. SharePoint Online gives you 2 backups a day with 12 day retention, so one more thing not to have to worry about. It really is the way to go for a small school. You can do redirected folders to OneDrive for Business and they can just save to My Documents, like they are used to.

CDW should have records since they are the distributors in this case. Try calling them again. Or you can call Microsoft volume license service center, they can look you up, but u need to provide them with certain info that I am guessing u don't have at hand. CDW is your best bet if u juts want to stick to your current model. Else go with Office 365 for edu, it should be cheaper than what u are paying for now and takes a bunch of things off your plate

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info, I'll talk it over with the principal as it's ultimately up to her what to do but she's probably going to go with my recommendation. Free is always a good word, I personally don't enjoy working with web apps but I guess I'm not the end user so....

Don't uninstall anything yet. Find out who the MS rep is and meet with them in person. They'll work with you.

Back