Microsoft is pushing IE7 today

AuntPeggy

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Namaste
We are experiencing a push of Internet Explorer7 here at work today. IT is telling us to reject it.
- Aunt Peggy

Your IT team should have already rejected it for you. MS has published directions for blocking it for a period of time, much like they did with SP2. Ain't nobody in our company getting it for a while. At least until a couple of vendors get off of their butts and update their apps.

I downloaded IE7 early last week. I like it somewhat better than IE6. Does some things better. Does other things different.

My employer has also blocked IE7. They want time (read months) to review before allowing download. Can't say I blame them.

smigaldi said:
Are there compatibility issues with IE7?

I have to admit I'm no I.T. guy but according to our company gurus yes, there are compatibility issues. They sent an e-mail informing of us the issues but it may have well been written in greek :confused:

OK, I downloaded it from the windowsupdate site, and IE immediately went teats up.

It will load my home page, but any other page a box pops up with the message:

The requested lookup key was not found in any active activation context.

Then, when I click the OK in that box, another pops up with this message:

"web site address" is not accessible. The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

Of course, if I click on Help->online help, the same messages come up.

Of course, I can't go and load firefox, etc., because the browser won't go anywhere.

Any windows savy people in the area plase advise. How do I fix this?

We use Firefox... 2.0 was a smooth upgrade.

I've sent a support request to Microsoft. W'll see how that goes.
What OS?
- Aunt Peggy

AuntPeggy said:
I've sent a support request to Microsoft. W'll see how that goes.
What OS?
- Aunt Peggy

Oh boy, I used to know that...I think it is XP professional...

jangell said:
We use Firefox... 2.0 was a smooth upgrade.

Ditto here; it is a *lot* faster, IMHO.

AuntPeggy said:
No reply yet.

If my problem is typical with the download and install, they're quite busy now.

BTW, I downloaded Firefox and put it on the memory stick to take home, hopefully that will get me up and working...

Bill Jennings said:
If my problem is typical with the download and install, they're quite busy now.

BTW, I downloaded Firefox and put it on the memory stick to take home, hopefully that will get me up and working...
I sent you an email with the MS response.
- Aunt Peggy

Bill Jennings said:

Rocking and rolling at home with Firefox 2.0, painless install. IE7 is still TU.

I allowed the update to take effect and IE7 is running fine.

NC19143 said:
I allowed the update to take effect and IE7 is running fine.
Same here. It even seems a little faster than IE6. I still mostly use Firefox though. I like the green kitty theme I have installed...

IE SUCKS!!! Any version of it. I'm completely happy with Firefox. The only reason I keep IE is so I can look through my service manual for my Shadow Aero that I get for free on Honda's site.

I installed IE7 after reloading the OS on this laptop. IE6 always worked great 99.9875% of the time but I had it set up so it would not allow creepy critters into my system.

IE7 has worked great with exception of only a couple financial sites that don't recognize it. If I bypass the warning windows, the rest of the activity runs fine without issue. The icons for each site come up and stay up whereas they would alway die in IE6. They make it easier to pick from the links line for my most-used pages. I can slide on a single character for most and get more in the links line. A nice feature would be to allow two links lines.

The window comes up where it pleases and defies my desire to keep an organized desktop. The tab feature is handy as ever. I'd like to get rid of the built-in search window as I'm hooked on the Google tool bar. Even when you have Google as the default in the built-in search bar, you don't get the other features provided by Google.

For now, I'm happy with it. If it does suddenly start to take over, I can easily un-install and bring back IE6.

I've never used Firefox. Has anyone ever considered it has been marketed on the premise that most people cannot properly set up IE to fix the problems Firefox promises to prevent?

Everskyward said:
Same here. It even seems a little faster than IE6. I still mostly use Firefox though. I like the green kitty theme I have installed...

A computer knowledgable person told me that our passwords are no longer protected with 7

So, I'm back to IE 6 something. and XP 2006 pro.

A simple uninstal did the trick.

Last edited:
NC19143 said:
A computer knowledgable person told me that our passwords are no longer protected with 7

I guess knowledgeable is a relative term. More knowledge than you? Maybe. Based on their statement knowledgeable enough to give useful advice? I doubt it.

NC19143 said:

So, I'm back to IE 6 something. and XP 2006 pro.

A simple uninstal did the trick.
2006? Don't think so. XP never had year numbers because it would have been embarrassing when Windows XP 2005 shipped in 2007. Windows Server is 2003. The last desktop number was Windows 2000.

Back