MicroSoft Flight Simulator

grattonja

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
saratoga driver
Some basic questions.

So far, my training and my wife's training has all been done without the aid of any sort of flight simulator. But her current CFI has recommended that she try some IFR practice on MSFS as part of her training for her IR.

So I have some stupid questions. First, we have an older Compaq machine with 450 Mh processor and 64 Mb of Ram. Hard drive is somewhere around 8Gb. Definitely older technology. Win 98 of course. CD drive and floppy drive.

I am guessing that I will not be able to run a current version of MSFS on this hardware? If not, is it reasonably possible to get an older version of MSFS that WILL run on this?

She also has a fairly new machine at work, with, I assume, much better capacities.

What does she realistically need for hardware? She will need at least a joy stick, right? What, if anything, else is needed and what will a joystick/yoke cost?

Any recommendations/advice are greatly appreciated from all of you. I know many/most of you are more technologically advanced that we are.

Jim G

I'm not sure I agree with the CFI's "recommendation".

Here is what you *NEED* to run the latest MS Flight Simulator:
  • Microsoft® Windows® 98/Me/XP/2000
  • PC with 450 MHz equivalent or higher processor
  • 128 MB of system RAM for 2000/XP, 64 MB RAM for 98/Me
  • 1.8 GB available hard disk space
  • 4x speed or faster CD-ROM drive
  • 8 MB video card required
  • Sound card, speakers or headphones required for audio
  • Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device
  • 56.6 Kbps or better modem for online play
Now, I recommend you *GET* a Pentium 4 2.0 gHZ or better with 1 Gigabyte of RAM and the best video card you can get that *ISNT* cutting edge overpriced top of the line. Don't spend 3x as much as you need to on a top edge card - for for 2nd or 3rd in line but go for the most RAM on the video card you can. You should be able to put together a decent gaming rig for around a grand. Max out the Hard Drive - disk space is cheap and 8GB is nothing these days.

Options: I recommend, if you really wanna feel like you're flying, the CH line: http://www.chproducts.com/retail_flash/index.html You will not get them cheap, but you won't get better, either.

Of course, you have to consider: How many REAL IR hours could you get for the price of the system? If you're not avid gamers/computer users, you're investing a lot in a non-certified IFR practice setup.

Consider carefully. If you were already avid gamers, I'd say go for it, because you'll use the hardware for other things. However, if you're not, then... thats a lot of $$ just to pretend to be flying. :)

grattonja said:
I am guessing that I will not be able to run a current version of MSFS on this hardware?

The box FS2004 comes in says your machine should probably work. $40ish
Minimum: Win98 - 450mhz processor - 64Mb RAM - 1.8Gb HD - video 8mb RAM 3D.

Maybe my standards are too high but I personally wouldn't do it that slow though. I'm wanting many more MIPS when running it and I'm at 2Ghz with a lot more graphics power than the minimums require. 3Ghz would be nice.

Curiously, and it may be some setting I have hosed up somewhere that I can't find, but IMC in FS2004 is very disappointing. I've legally flown VFR real life in worse conditions than FS2004 0/0 IMC will generate most of the time. On the panel screen you can raise the panel high enough to block out the world if you want to though which works rather well for instrument work. The older versions (FS 4.0 specifically) will give you an instrument panel and a white wall to look at with no outside terrain information...until breaking out...or impact.

grattonja said:
If not, is it reasonably possible to get an older version of MSFS that WILL run on this?

This should do:
http://fshistory.simflight.com/fsvault/downloads.htm
Obsolete versions all the way back to the Apple II series FS1.
Select, download and install.
If you can't afford free, you've got a much bigger problem than you realize. :D

Navaids and lack of airports outside of specific areas can be an issue on the older versions. Stay within those limits and it's very doable.

grattonja said:
What does she realistically need for hardware? She will need at least a joy stick, right? What, if anything, else is needed and what will a joystick/yoke cost?

A flight stick of some kind is required to make it not annoying. Flying with a mouse is about like pulling on bare loose end cables in a real plane.

For the older versions, junk shops have the old analog game port flight sticks with throttle wheels for dirt nothing. I've seen the old classic CH Flightstick for $5-10 on average. A working game port is mandatory on the machine.

For USB, a new Saitek Cyborg EVO stick (3 axis + throtte + 12 buttons and a hat switch) will put you back $30-45. (6 button version = ?$20-30?) I've had the 12 button version for 2 yrs now with no complaints. Better stuff is out there but this is very useable. You do want a stick with some mass to it and a decently large base so it'll be useable. A lot of the lightweight $9-12 stuff with small bases and high spring forces are sticks but they're junk and you'll regret it. Try them out at the store on the shelf for feel and reasonable for your hand size.

Sound is nice but optional IMO. It doesn't give you much beyond engine noise, some of the canned ATIS/ATC stuff and flap/gear motor noises.

Video: SVGA or better. More video power is better. Most of the old versions will run on just about anything down to CGA/composite if you're really want to. Larger monitor helps.

grattonja said:
I know many/most of you are more technologically advanced that we are.

I'm not much ahead of you, I did have to jump out of the 80x86 series a while back or quit communicating with the outside world. I still play with my Apple IIe regularly.

grattonja said:
Some basic questions.

So far, my training and my wife's training has all been done without the aid of any sort of flight simulator. But her current CFI has recommended that she try some IFR practice on MSFS as part of her training for her IR.

So I have some stupid questions. First, we have an older Compaq machine with 450 Mh processor and 64 Mb of Ram. Hard drive is somewhere around 8Gb. Definitely older technology. Win 98 of course. CD drive and floppy drive.

I am guessing that I will not be able to run a current version of MSFS on this hardware? If not, is it reasonably possible to get an older version of MSFS that WILL run on this?

She also has a fairly new machine at work, with, I assume, much better capacities.

Any recommendations/advice are greatly appreciated from all of you. I know many/most of you are more technologically advanced that we are.

Jim G

By the time you spend about >$1500 and who knows how many hours assembly on MSFS including all the stuff to make it sufficiently cool (which is still a heck of a lot of fun if you like sims) ya gotta wonder if 5 or 10 loggable hours on a Frasca with a CFII wouldn't do some new pilot a lot more good for a lot less time & money but, if you like sims, games & computers then definately go for it, it's a blast when there's time to kill and scotch to be dealt with !

I posted this on the other forum as well--I'd love to be able to hook into the whole multiplayer thing. Does anyone do that, and how do I find a session?

Thanks for all the helpful information, all. I have pointed Janet to this thread to figure out what she wants to do. The free downloads of older versions of MSFS sound like they might fit the bill. I haven't talked to her CFI yet but suspect he wants her to try some approaches on line. She can work on honing her tracking skills, dealing with step down fixes etc that way. She is only able to find the time to go up once per week right now in the skyhawk, and this would give her some more "saddle time" to hone the basics.

Again, thanks all.

Jim G

grattonja said:
Thanks for all the helpful information, all. I have pointed Janet to this thread to figure out what she wants to do. The free downloads of older versions of MSFS sound like they might fit the bill. I haven't talked to her CFI yet but suspect he wants her to try some approaches on line. She can work on honing her tracking skills, dealing with step down fixes etc that way. She is only able to find the time to go up once per week right now in the skyhawk, and this would give her some more "saddle time" to hone the basics.

Again, thanks all.

Jim G

Really, all it will help with is her scan and procedures development. It is not the same as flying at all. There is no turbulence, no mind numbing frustration, no distractions. It does help with scan though, just not to much on actual control of the plane.

You likely meet the "minimum requirements" to run the software.

However, the "minimum requirment" for a car to get you to work is 1962 Ford Falcon, with mis-matched colored doors.

How many of those do you see on a daily commute? :no:

Also ... don't let the thought enter your head about "upgrading" your current computer. Ain't worth the effort. For $400 or so you can get something new that will make it look like the Jurasic Computer that it is.

IMHO
YMMV

grattonja said:
Some basic questions.

Jim G

mgkdrgn said:
You likely meet the "minimum requirements" to run the software.

However, the "minimum requirment" for a car to get you to work is 1962 Ford Falcon, with mis-matched colored doors.

How many of those do you see on a daily commute? :no:

Also ... don't let the thought enter your head about "upgrading" your current computer. Ain't worth the effort. For $400 or so you can get something new that will make it look like the Jurasic Computer that it is.

IMHO
YMMV
i agree.

i have the software. i got it before i started my lessons. it was a big help getting me familiar with the instruments, and i thought it was pretty cool at first. i went all out and got the ch-products (i think that's the name) yoke and rudder.

for IFR practice, maybe it will be useful, but as far as my VFR training, i will probably never use it again.

when i use it now, i get fusterated because it's entirely different. everything from the sounds, feelings, and just trying to look around is just awkward.

practicing landings is completely worthless. you can land way to easy and there is no way to tell how good or bad it really was.

i had pilots warn me before i bought in, but i guess that isn't something i could understand until i've had some time in the plane.

with IFR in mind though, you may be able to get more out of it than i was trying to.

Back