Microsoft Flight Simulator X or 2004 - Anyone Know A Good Source

ATL-Steve

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
ATL-Steve
Anyone know a good source for purchasing the software along with a yoke and pedals?

Retail? Personal? Rental?

I'm looking at $300-$400 online but that's not really within my cost/benefit allowance ratio. :) Looking for something less expensive.

I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong section. I couldn't find a buy/sell area so I figured I'd throw it in here and ask for forgiveness later.

Thank you.

Steve

Anyone know a good source for purchasing the software along with a yoke and pedals?

Retail? Personal? Rental?

I'm looking at $300-$400 online but that's not really within my cost/benefit allowance ratio. :) Looking for something less expensive.

I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong section. I couldn't find a buy/sell area so I figured I'd throw it in here and ask for forgiveness later.

Thank you.

Steve

I think that I have a copy of X that I'd sell you. But have you taken a look at x-plane? It is regularly updated and I like it quite a bit better than MSFS.

Have you flown a PC simulator with pedals before? I find them to be almost useless because the feel is not right at all. I have the Saitek yoke/throttle and the CH pedals but rarely use either of them. I prefer to just fly with a joystick and use the z-axis (rotation) for the rudder.

I only ask because there's no point in buying $250 worth of peripherals just to be disappointed with them. After all, home simming is better for messing around, aka having fun, or practicing instrument procedures/navigation, than actually trying to replicate the feel of flying a real plane, at least in my opinion.

Definitely buy your computer game on Amazon. Just be careful and make sure you can still use it on the internet so that you can get consistently updated weather.

I'm just beginning PPL work. I'm looking for a way to practice with the instruments and yoke rather than trying to get an actual real feel of an actual aircraft. My thinking being that spending $200 or less on some software and hardware may save me 10 hours of plane rental. I really want my PPL in 45 hours or less. I see some people going to 65+ hours. While that's fine and I will do it if I have to, I would like to make an effort to NOT have to get that many hours to feel competent and confident.

So, yes, if anyone has any recommendations on some less-expensive, non-microsoft solutions, I'm all ears. I'm gonna check out the solutions already mentioned as well. I'm fine with no pedals. But I would really like a yoke that is somewhat like that of a Cessna rather than a joystick.

Thank you.

Steve

Check out E-Bay for some good deals. I got Flight Sim X for about twenty five bucks and see some good prices on yokes and pedals regularly. As far as real feel goes I treat it for what it is. It's a fun way for me to mentally think about flying someday and gets my brain involved in reading gauges, navigating, etc....I know it will be a WHOLE different story when up in a real plane but it's fun nonetheless.

Anyone check out Microsoft Flight yet? It's a FREE download.

I did the same thing and am just now starting to use it more. I thought I would use it in conjunction with my lessons, but as others mentioned the feel is not all there with the yoke and pedals. No feedback is the reason. I hardly used it at all during my training to Solo, but now as I am moving into the XC phase I find myself using it to get familiar with the VOR nav and also I can pre-fly my solo XC before I actualy do it. So for that alone its worth it.

I bought X-plane and the saitek yoke, throttle and pedals. Look to craigslist for the yoke and pedals before buying new.

If you use it from the beginning, then make sure to use it as you would fly. Checklists and whole bit..

Marc

I grew up "playing" MSFS and it really helped out when I got in the plane. However, it took it pretty seriously for the last couple of years, so that helped, too. FWIW, I just used a boring Microsoft Sidewinder or a Thrustmaster.

If you're just trying to get a feel for the function of the instruments, you might try XPlane for the Ipad, if you happen to have one. Or just get one since it's useful anyway. It's not nearly as functional as a PC version with controls, but, you don't need separate controls, and the planes (most of them anyway) have functional VOR's and ILS. It's only $15.

I grew up "playing" MSFS and it really helped out when I got in the plane. However, it took it pretty seriously for the last couple of years, so that helped, too. FWIW, I just used a boring Microsoft Sidewinder or a Thrustmaster.

Man you sound like myself in terms of MSFS. I try to treat this sim like it's a real training experience. I utilize all the proper approaches, will go around when I have to also. My wife thinks I've lost it.

Yeah that sounds about like how I played it.

One time, in 8th grade, I had a day to myself. Well, I didn't have many friends back then, anyway. So, I decided to dress in slacks, shirt and a tie and pretend I was a captain of a 767 from PHL to FRA. Our in flight movie was Aliens. I ran out of fuel 3/4 of the way there and ended up crashing 200 feet before the runway. Also, I played in real time.

Derp.

One time, in 8th grade, I had a day to myself. Well, I didn't have many friends back then, anyway. So, I decided to dress in slacks, shirt and a tie and pretend I was a captain of a 767 from PHL to FRA. Our in flight movie was Aliens. I ran out of fuel 3/4 of the way there and ended up crashing 200 feet before the runway. Also, I played in real time.

Derp.

Now that's hard core.

Derp.

Well you are definitely a little more serious then myself. :yesnod:

Have you flown a PC simulator with pedals before? I find them to be almost useless because the feel is not right at all. I have the Saitek yoke/throttle and the CH pedals but rarely use either of them. I prefer to just fly with a joystick and use the z-axis (rotation) for the rudder.

I only ask because there's no point in buying $250 worth of peripherals just to be disappointed with them. After all, home simming is better for messing around, aka having fun, or practicing instrument procedures/navigation, than actually trying to replicate the feel of flying a real plane, at least in my opinion.

I've used desk top sims, since the invention, it seems like. I've tested numerous products for these simulations over the years.

As to "feel", if you're a pilot to begin with, then many of the sensations can be transferred to the sim. In effect, the brain fills some of the gaps.
I flew planes before desktop sims were invented, so I wouldn't know the non-pilot sense of "supposable" feel.

As to rudder pedals, I use them all the time............just as with the real planes. I'd feel lost without them. Some of the better add-on models. make good use of rudder pedals.

L.Adamson

http://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-...YMFS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337303989&sr=8-1

Buy this, use the paddles on the thrust as your rudder pedals..

Download XPLANE 10 and give it a whirl, if you like it buy the rest of the scenery for $80.

I simulators shouldn't be for "feel" but rather instrument practice, and eye hand coordination at the flight controls. Helped me get my private in a very minimal amount of time.

z6cFx.jpg

I have the following semi-movable together in my living room. I'm jealous of those with dedicated space and SimPits, i didnt have space in my place in DC. I assembled during training last year and found it useful in repeating concepts from lessons. Hopefully will come in handy again during IR training.

52" Sony XBR LCD
Saitek Yoke
Saitek throttle quadrant
Saitek Switch Panel
Saitek multi panel (not pictured)
Saitek radio panel
CH Pro Pedals
SpeedBlack racing stand
Vibrating/Surround sound XRocker Pro pedestal chair
TrackIR5 head tracking (you can look around HIGHLY recommend for ~150)
Wireless mouse and keyboard
Tubing for wires
Software: FSX w/ REX, GEX, UTX (I think)

Most of the time, I just fly fun 15-45 minute VFR routes wearing my Zulus and streaming music. I try and do pilotage and follow charts on iPad.

There is a lot more im sure I could do but not computer savvy enough to get it working properly. Tried and failed to set up VatSim, a 8" touchscreen, and USB headset adapters.

I don't get the TrackIR5 head tracking thing. You move your head a little to the left and the screen moves to the left? Isn't that disconcerting considering you have to still look straight ahead? I would imagine it takes some getting used to!

http://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-...YMFS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337303989&sr=8-1

Buy this, use the paddles on the thrust as your rudder pedals..

Download XPLANE 10 and give it a whirl, if you like it buy the rest of the scenery for $80.

I simulators shouldn't be for "feel" but rather instrument practice, and eye hand coordination at the flight controls. Helped me get my private in a very minimal amount of time.

And why is that?

Considering that numerous developers for flight sim software are also pilots.................some will go a long way, in programming the sim to provide sensations of "feel". I should know, as I've helped test these products for the last 15 years or so. In the meantime XPlane10 is getting quite a bit of credit for the "feel".......from numerous pilots.

L.Adamson

Andrew (or others), Is it better to have one larger monitor, like your 52 inch, or 3 smaller monitors like Dell 23 inch?

Which is more demanding on the video card?

And why is that?

Considering that numerous developers for flight sim software are also pilots.................some will go a long way, in programming the sim to provide sensations of "feel". I should know, as I've helped test these products for the last 15 years or so. In the meantime XPlane10 is getting quite a bit of credit for the "feel".......from numerous pilots.

L.Adamson

The basic Cessna 172SP in XPlane 10 has a roll rate similar to an Edge 540 for one. I'm saying that if you have a cosmic yoke/rudder setup it's not going to help you that much over a simple $45 setup. Just my opinion though and we're all entitled to one.

I don't get the TrackIR5 head tracking thing. You move your head a little to the left and the screen moves to the left? Isn't that disconcerting considering you have to still look straight ahead? I would imagine it takes some getting used to!

You can set the sensitivity and pick it up really fast. You set the baseline to the center of the screen. You don't move your head that much. It almost becomes an extension of "looking" in a certain direction. If you move your head closer or farther away or up or down it acts like you are literally in a cockpit. Lean in to get a look at the g1000 or a certain gauge.

Andrew (or others), Is it better to have one larger monitor, like your 52 inch, or 3 smaller monitors like Dell 23 inch?

Which is more demanding on the video card?

If I had a dedicated space, I would have probably done a setup with 3-5 displays and the Matrix Triple Head. Although, if you don't plan on investing in lots of panels or some kind of additional monitor for instrumentation, it could be easier to just get the head tracking so you can look around.

From my understanding, 3 monitors with the Triple Head thing is only slightly more CPU intensive. IA giant HDTV is no more CPU intensive than a computer monitor. Same resolution.

BTW - anyone whose in the DC area is welcome to try it out sometime.

Back