Microsoft confirms speech recognition exploit

Well it sounds like from what I'm reading:
1) You'ld need to have physical access to the computer; and
2) The user would have to enable the feature and leave it active and unattended

If thats true, then while extra safeguards wouldn't hurt, you know this is kind of like leaving the car running at the 7-11 while you run in and get a cup of coffee. If your car gets stolen in that way, who's the moron? YOU.

Now, if an attacker could do it remotely, thats a whole different story.

Microsoft's OS is the worst OS ever conceived, except for all the other OSs out there. B)

If thats true, then while extra safeguards wouldn't hurt, you know this is kind of like leaving the car running at the 7-11 while you run in and get a cup of coffee. If your car gets stolen in that way, who's the moron? YOU.

Now, if an attacker could do it remotely, thats a whole different story.

Actually, Chuck, I see the real risk like this:

1. You have voice-recognition active, and
2. You receive an audio file (flash, WMA, MP3, whatever) with commands which, if played out loud on the speakers (most are left on all the time) would be recognized, executed and Do Bad Things.

===

BTW, I went to order a 'puter from Dell last Friday, and they do not even offer the option of ordering with XP, only Vista. Talk about trying to force a migration! I prefer to wait a while.

Actually, Chuck, I see the real risk like this:

1. You have voice-recognition active, and
2. You receive an audio file (flash, WMA, MP3, whatever) with commands which, if played out loud on the speakers (most are left on all the time) would be recognized, executed and Do Bad Things.

===

BTW, I went to order a 'puter from Dell last Friday, and they do not even offer the option of ordering with XP, only Vista. Talk about trying to force a migration! I prefer to wait a while.

DUDE!!!! DON'T BUY A DELL!!!! HP, Lenovo, Toshiba, even......ehhhhhhhhg... Sony but not Dell.

My office Dell has a video card so bad it can't scroll TEXT. The only answer I get is they won't buy any more of those. I warned the bosses in advance that I kinda need the thing to do my job. Hey they saved $12 or so I'm sure.

Last edited:
Speakers on/Mike off and vice versa.

Big honkin' switch or line of code...

I know this would be too simple to actually work...right???

Chris:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I've had excellent luck with Dells. HP? Not so much on the desktop. Fine for midrange servers, but "no thanks" to HP desktops... Printers, you betcha, Red Rider.

Everyone that watches Star Trek knows that in order to execute a system level voice command you should have to have command level rank and give a verbal authorization that includes either "beta" or "zed".

Sheesh, what was microsoft thinking.....

I have had good luck with Dell (desktops), have not bought any Dell laptops.

I have had good luck with Dell (desktops), have not bought any Dell laptops.

After the dot com crash, we bought about a dozen off-lease laptops, maybe 8 of them Dells. (www.erpcsales.com) We REALLY abuse them working in the field on railroad projects. They have been tough as nails. Not so, the Toshibas and Compaqs, though.

It sounded to me like the feature was enabled by default, and let's be honest, it's really not hard to make someone's computer play a sound if you can get them to visit your web site or click on that e-mail attachment...

But we all know I'm biased. ;)

It sounded to me like the feature was enabled by default, and let's be honest, it's really not hard to make someone's computer play a sound if you can get them to visit your web site or click on that e-mail attachment...

But we all know I'm biased. ;)

I'll check on my computer at work tomorrow to see if it is on by default.

Back