Microphone Foam Socks

Jaybird180

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jaybird180
I'd lost mine on my headset a long time ago. I found an obscure website that sold them, but don't have the link anymore. Anyone know where I can buy 1 or 3?

FYI if you lose those little rubber rings or they send the wrong one, twist ties work great. Looks funny but it gets the job done.

Oregon aero makes ones that have a little leather cover over the foam and a drawstring to hold it a little more securely than the friction fit they usually get.

go to the craft store and buy one of those 1" foam brushes for acrylic paints. Pretty close to the same density and size for headsets. A small o-ring to hold it on, and a clip from the sissors on a 45* angle at each corner, and for less than $1 you have a replacement.

Good for passenger headsets, easily replacable after they :vomit: and forget to move the mic :rolleyes:

You may also find that different headsets need different IDs on the "socks", it's not "one size fits all". Get one too small and you'll probably tear it trying to get it on, too large isn't as bad but might not be as effective and will require something to hold it on.

and will require something to hold it on.

Twist tie baby, I'm all about those. You have no idea how many of those are holding my car together. Safeway has the best, in the produce section.

Twist tie baby, I'm all about those. You have no idea how many of those are holding my car together. Safeway has the best, in the produce section.
I try to avoid twist ties for anything intended to be semi permanent as the paper tends to dissolve leaving a rusty wire to poke you somewhere.

Tie wraps. The tiny ones.
IMO thin O-rings of the appropriate ID work best. Ty-raps tend to have a sharp corner or two where the tail was cut off, although they'd probably do a great job of holding the cover on.

One of our cats has an appetite for microphone foamies... I kid you not. She will seek and destroy any that are left exposed.

IMO thin O-rings of the appropriate ID work best. Ty-raps tend to have a sharp corner or two where the tail was cut off, although they'd probably do a great job of holding the cover on.

Not if they're cut off correctly. You cut them by squeezing across them, most folks cut them like they're cutting paper.

Across and using cutters which are able to get flush with the head and they'll have no exposed sharp edges.

Leaving sharp edges on zip ties in telco is a no-no. They end up slicing up someone reaching into a wiring bundle that way. Working alone at a CO with a bleeding arm wound is a problem for safety in the modern dark CO era, so sharp ones seen are usually cut out of a bundle "with prejudice".

One telco in particular still dislikes them and pays people to wax-string their wiring bundles at Central Offices (AT&T). A mixture of safety culture and Union unwritten rules.

In non-telco datacenters? Well if you can even get data weenies to zip tie and properly plan wiring bundles that'd be amazing in and of itself, but when they do it, it's often sharp edges, tight corners, bent cables, lack of weight bearing load planning so the bundle is crushing lower cables, etc etc etc.

And apologies. By tie wrap, I mean zip tie... but you seem to know what I meant. :)

Test message - sorry for the intrusion

Back