Michigan flyers?

woodchucker

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
woodchucker
I'm visiting my dad here in Ann Arbor. Looking for any interesting flying destination say within about 100 nm or so of here.

What are you interested in?

Put-In-Bay is nice, Port Clinton has a really good airport restaurant, Muskegon / Holland / Grand Haven / are all really nice destinations if you want to enjoy Lake Michigan.

Small museums at Port Clinton, Urbana Ohio. Air Zoo at Kalamazoo.

Last edited:
What are you interested in?

Put-In-Bay is nice, Port Clinton has a really good airport restaurant, Muskegon / Holland / Grand Haven / are all really nice destinations if you want to enjoy Lake Michigan.

Any idea what the landing fee is for Put-in-Bay? That looks fun. Port Clinton looks fun too. The other three are a bit far out of the way for me.

I cannot remember what the landing fee was and wasn't at 3W2 this year yet. Google finds $ 10 / $ 11.

I love airport restaurants. Nothing like the smell of avgas as you swill down coffee and some aviation themed bfast item .... like maybe the "flaming sausage", or the "iron pancake". Perhaps, simple "scrambled egg".

Landing fee at 3W2 was $11 I think, 3 years ago. Best call ahead.

No landing fee at 89D (Kelleys Island), another nice destination, more laid back than Put-in Bay.

There is a decent diner at 3DA and an even better family-style Italian fare place (very good pizza) a short walk away.

If you like airport restaurants, KJXN a short hop away has a good one. Not particularly aviation-themed, but the dining room has a great view of the runway.

Another good diner at KOEB (Coldwater).

Only sign of intelligent life in Ann Arbor?

Columbus, 180 miles.

Besides the joke, what everyone else said. The Air Force museum is not that far though not straightforward to get to. There is also the Neil Armstrong Museum in Wappakeneta, though it isn't on the grounds of the airfield.

Be sure to be careful going to put in bay. Can't leave after dusk. Be sure you have enough fuel to do the Hop and back to port Clinton. Many people went into the lake. They write down tail numbers if they aren't there in the morning you'll get a letter. If you're choosing Kelly's island is more interesting... Put in bay had good fudge.

Any idea what the landing fee is for Put-in-Bay? That looks fun. Port Clinton looks fun too. The other three are a bit far out of the way for me.

Put-in-bay was $11 yesterday when we flew up there. Lots of traffic in the bay so keep your eyes open and definitely avoid flying near the monument.

Dave

@ Woodchucker: Are you still in a Michigan? We will fly to Port Clinton for dinner at 5:30 pm tomorrow (Saturday 07/08/2017). If you (or anyone else) want to join us, you are very welcome. :)

@ Woodchucker: Are you still in a Michigan? We will fly to Port Clinton for dinner at 5:30 pm tomorrow (Saturday 07/08/2017). If you (or anyone else) want to join us, you are very welcome. :)

Sorry, I missed your message. I'm in Ohio now but I was in Michigan then. Hope you had fun!

Back